Photo

Nordiques Nation to come back to your town!

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#21 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:08 AM

Do any of you watch Detroit games? That place is 25% empty most nights.

Well the recession did hit Detroit the hardest.

#22 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

Well the recession did hit Detroit the hardest.

It's been this way long before the recession.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#23 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:16 AM

Detroit certainly isn't terrible based on these numbers...

http://espn.go.com/n...nce/_/year/2011

Edited by mrthemike, 29 September 2011 - 11:17 AM.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#24 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

Didn't bother to look at the list of games they are going to, but are they planning to hit Florida? Phoenix? Columbus? Hell, even St. Louis?

These are all teams that I can realistically say should be considered for relocation before New Jersey ever does.

Winnipeg at New Jersey
Washington at Florida
Edmonton at Ottawa
N.Y. Islanders at Boston
Chicago at Detroit
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#25 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:40 AM

St Louis has a very strong fanbase and has for years.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#26 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,345 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:43 AM

Winnipeg at New Jersey
Washington at Florida
Edmonton at Ottawa
N.Y. Islanders at Boston
Chicago at Detroit

They're going down to Florida? Are they chartering a flight or something?
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#27 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:56 AM

They're going down to Florida? Are they chartering a flight or something?

From the looks of it, they're giving themselves extra time for that one. The site shows a range of dates, the teams playing, and price. For Ottawa it's a one-day trip; for NJ, Boston and Detroit it's two days; and for Florida it's five days.

5 and 6 November 2011: Winnipeg Jets vs. New Jersey Devils, from $ 220
3 to 7 December 2011: Washington Capitals vs Florida Panthers, tariff coming
February 11, 2012: Edmonton Oilers vs Ottawa Senators, from $ 130
7 and 8 April 2012: Chicago Blackhawks vs Detroit Red Wings, from $ 280
3 and 4 March 2012: New York Islanders vs. Boston Bruins, from $ 280

Might be drive time they're leaving room for.
Posted Image

#28 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,345 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:20 PM

From the looks of it, they're giving themselves extra time for that one. The site shows a range of dates, the teams playing, and price. For Ottawa it's a one-day trip; for NJ, Boston and Detroit it's two days; and for Florida it's five days.

Might be drive time they're leaving room for.

From NJ, it takes about 23 hours to drive to South Florida (I've made this drive many, many times). If they're driving from Quebec, that is one looooooong trip up and back.

#29 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:42 PM

From NJ, it takes about 23 hours to drive to South Florida (I've made this drive many, many times). If they're driving from Quebec, that is one looooooong trip up and back.

Nevermind all that speculation, one of the Quebecois over at HF said they're flying to Florida.
Posted Image

#30 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,345 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 12:50 PM

Nevermind all that speculation, one of the Quebecois over at HF said they're flying to Florida.

Smart of them lol. That's too long a road trip to take.

#31 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Well if all this time later they're trying to convince the league to get a team back in Quebec...why did they let the team go in the first place? Where was this kind of support when the team was there?:unsure:

Wasn't it pretty much poor attendance that drove the team away?

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#32 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

I think the league has to consider that every single person who flies down to Florida for that game would be a full season ticket holder in Quebec. Besides the weather in Florida in December being a boat load better than Quebec's should be, that's still some serious dedication for one game.

I hope they get a team; that city would make for a nice away game visit some day.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#33 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:17 PM

From what I remember, the poor value of the Canadian dollar vs. the US Dollar, poor corporate sponsorship, and the lack of any progress toward construction of a new arena led to the team being sold and moved to Colorado.

Nobody really has a problem with Nordiques Nation. They a bunch of passionate hockey fans. I just wish we could fill our building with Devils fans that were at least 1/2 as passionate as they are. There is nothing worse then sitting next to obnoxious Rangers/Flyers fans taunting Marty and getting in your face all game while sitting in our own Arena.
Posted Image

#34 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,345 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:19 PM

Well if all this time later they're trying to convince the league to get a team back in Quebec...why did they let the team go in the first place? Where was this kind of support when the team was there?:unsure:

Wasn't it pretty much poor attendance that drove the team away?

No, it was more the inability to build a new arena and the huge disparity between the US and Canadian dollars at the time.

#35 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,887 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 01:44 PM

that's pretty much any team's problem. They want a new arena, (i.e. the Lighthouse for the Islanders) and taxpayers won't help pay, block zoning or site approval, or whatever, but then they bitch that their teams play in $h!tholes like Nassau Veterans Memorial ctiy dump. Anyone think the Isles will still make for Kansas City when their lease is up? or will the town finally give in and let Wang have his way? It sounds like a lot of teams fans want to have their cake and eat it too. They all want better venues for their teams but block every method of doing it that will require help on their part, whether it be money or land or other provisions. Something's gotta give and all too often it's the team that gives. Look at us with our Nashville scare in 95. And again before we finally moved in to Newark. So many people were so adamant against it but agreed that the Meadowlands arena was getting embarrassingly old. Atlanta's problem is that now that they've had 2 different teams there, they still can't get as much of a following, Atlanta will never be a hockey town - football, sure, basketball - yes.

Point is teams will always hold that 'threaten to move' card if they don't get what they want - better venue, better attendance, MONEY. It's all about business and what makes financial sense to the company that runs the team.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#36 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

I'd take 1000 of them over 50 rags fans anyday.

Oh yea that's another thing I find ridiculous about the backlash here...we have no problem BRINGING Rangers and Flyers fans to our games and allowing them to create their own home team atmosphere in our house, but Nordiques fans rooting for the Devils...hell no! :blink:
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#37 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,072 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

that's pretty much any team's problem. They want a new arena, (i.e. the Lighthouse for the Islanders) and taxpayers won't help pay, block zoning or site approval, or whatever, but then they bitch that their teams play in $h!tholes like Nassau Veterans Memorial ctiy dump. Anyone think the Isles will still make for Kansas City when their lease is up? or will the town finally give in and let Wang have his way? It sounds like a lot of teams fans want to have their cake and eat it too. They all want better venues for their teams but block every method of doing it that will require help on their part, whether it be money or land or other provisions. Something's gotta give and all too often it's the team that gives. Look at us with our Nashville scare in 95. And again before we finally moved in to Newark. So many people were so adamant against it but agreed that the Meadowlands arena was getting embarrassingly old. Atlanta's problem is that now that they've had 2 different teams there, they still can't get as much of a following, Atlanta will never be a hockey town - football, sure, basketball - yes.

Point is teams will always hold that 'threaten to move' card if they don't get what they want - better venue, better attendance, MONEY. It's all about business and what makes financial sense to the company that runs the team.

You really think that was the reason the Rock was built? Do you really think a majority of the people in Newark really wanted their sales tax increased from previous being a free or urban enterprise zone to pay for an arena they can probably barely afford to go to?

#38 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,205 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:10 PM

If you're still against this after last season then you're an idiot.. They brought an energy to the building that is only found at the fewest of games (Marty's 552 game, Throwback night 2 seasons ago, etc).. It was awesome to have them there and a true pleasure..

They are in no way targeting the Devils.. Most of their fans bought lots of Devils merch and had a blast talking with our fans.. They were very respectful and appreciative.. It simply couldn't have been a better night, and I'm glad they are returning

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#39 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:37 PM

Nords fans > Habs fans

The Nords were great at the Ruins game. The Habs fans at the last MTL game at The Rock last season? Worst road fans ever. fvck those people.

#40 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:41 PM

The Habs fans at the last MTL game at The Rock last season? Worst road fans ever. fvck those people.

I second that.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users