#1 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

24 (0) Devils 0-0-0 Although they're too thin down the middle and not good enough along the blue line, the Devils will get Zach Parise back, and Martin Brodeur always gives them a chance to win. Still, troubling decisions await the Devils as this season unfolds.

Devils at 24, behind the islanders, panthers, maple leafs and such...
Posted Image

#2 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:30 PM

That means adding Parise back to the lineup leaves the Devils with the same place in the league as last year. Did the whole league get that much better or is Parise really not that good? :lol:

Power Rankings are for poops and tittering.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#3 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

Burnside made this list. I stopped reading after seeing his name at the top of the article.

#4 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

It was a joke in seasons past... but right now, I think it's accurate as a pre-season rank. We've coasted off the past for the past few seasons and it's time to re-establish the Devils as a legitimate force.

That's going be hard to do with goaltenders past their prime, and our #1 center out for a few months. This team needs to step it up and prove their worth... And hopefully we'll all be grateful when we're back in the top 10, 5, etc

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#5 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:34 PM

One of the best comments on the article:

BREAKING NEWS:

Brendan Shanahan has suspended ESPNs Scott Burnside 6 weeks for his flagrant preseason rankings. They were deemed a targeted, direct blow to the intelligence of hockey fans everywhere.
Posted Image

#6 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

That means adding Parise back to the lineup leaves the Devils with the same place in the league as last year. Did the whole league get that much better or is Parise really not that good? :lol:

Brodeur got a year older.
Parise comes back with Zajac going away.

I don't think we're doom and gloom, but I also think we come off a bit entitled if we want a higher preseason ranking.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#7 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 887 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

I don't think we're doom and gloom, but I also think we come off a bit entitled if we want a higher preseason ranking.

I would probably say around 15-18th at the moment, but not 24th.
Posted Image

#8 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,302 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:38 PM

True, but you have to agree we are at least certainly better than Islanders, Avs, and Toronto.

#9 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

True, but you have to agree we are at least certainly better than Islanders, Avs, and Toronto.

As much as the Islanders sucked, they had an amazing second half.
Toronto finished ahead of us... and people like the Avs prospects.

I'm not saying we're a bad team, or that we are missing the playoffs. But it's not a ridicuolous statement to say we are in the bottom 10 of the league right now as a pre-season rank. You can argue where we fall. And Burnside won't give us the benefit of the doubt. But in years past, we were ranked 20th, etc for absolutely no reason other than - they are bound to fail sometime, right?

So I'm fine with a 20-25 rank preseason... if we're as good as we think, we'll move up quickly.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2014 Season | 

#10 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:04 PM

Burnside also offers up further proof that he's been skipping his meds by saying the Devils have a shot to win the Atlantic (as well as everybody else in the Division, to be fair):

Jeff (Baltimore)
Scott,Who wins the Atlantic this year? Do you think Jagr will have that big of an impact in Philly or can the Penguins finally win the Atlantic?

Scott Burnside (1:48 PM)
Jeff; Went with Pittsburgh but this is the best division in hockey I think with the Isles poised to surprise and the Devils generally speaking always in the hunt. Rangers are better and the Flyers should still be a contender even with their overhaul. Should be fun.

Burnside was also idiotic enough to think that the question I posed (that he answered) was genuine, despite it being an obvious goof (look at the wording alone):

Sven Svensen (Oslo, Norway)
Does Adam Larsson of Devils of New Jersey hockey squad have chance of make team? I submit question now and read your answer on screen, Mr. Scott.

Scott Burnside (1:11 PM)
Sven; Welcome. And looks from all reports out of New Jersey Larsson isn't just going to make the team but will play big minutes to start. Already some are targeting him as a possible Calder Trophy winner as rookie of the year. Should be fun to watch.

Ah, good ol' Burnside...always good for some laughs. I hope he never goes away...
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#11 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

As I've said before, we are winning the division. 24th is a joke by a joke writer. Don't support ESPN.com

Edited by devlman, 03 October 2011 - 02:18 PM.

#12 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

As I've said before, we are winning the division.

Are we moving the ECHL?

The highest I have seen any publication rank us right now has been #12 in the EAST. We are not a very talented team.

USA Today has us dead last in the Atlantic.

"Outlook: The Devils' 14-year playoff streak ended last season, and New Jersey is likely to sit out another a postseason."
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#13 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

I much prefer when we are picked to fail.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#14 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#15 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

I agree that we can't expect the Devils to be ranked higher at this point. We'll move up the rankings if we win.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#16 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:41 PM

Totally different team and talent pool.

I used to feel that way. I always had faith in the team based on the talent, leadership and structure of the organization. Those days are gone.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#17 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,169 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:18 PM

Totally different team and talent pool.

I used to feel that way. I always had faith in the team based on the talent, leadership and structure of the organization. Those days are gone.

Ah, I've missed your posts for the past several weeks!

The gloomy storm cloud is back folks! :clap:

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#18 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:20 PM

A. I don't care about a pre-season ranking

B. Not a talented team? Lay off the fvcking drugs, dude.

#19 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Burnside was also idiotic enough to think that the question I posed (that he answered) was genuine, despite it being an obvious goof (look at the wording alone):

Sven Svensen (Oslo, Norway)
Does Adam Larsson of Devils of New Jersey hockey squad have chance of make team? I submit question now and read your answer on screen, Mr. Scott.

Scott Burnside (1:11 PM)
Sven; Welcome. And looks from all reports out of New Jersey Larsson isn't just going to make the team but will play big minutes to start. Already some are targeting him as a possible Calder Trophy winner as rookie of the year. Should be fun to watch.

Ah, good ol' Burnside...always good for some laughs. I hope he never goes away...

Don't know if anybody else read this but I just laughed out loud. Nicely done.

As for the rest of the topic, blah blah power rankings are dumb.

Edited by iamtheprodigy, 03 October 2011 - 03:34 PM.

#20 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

"Still, troubling decisions await the Devils as this season unfolds."

what a joke, i knew they would give some bullsh!t reason that really doesn't tell anyone anything... like uhhh elaborate. wtf does that mean?

not like I give a sh!t anyway though, because the day I go to ESPN to get my hockey analysis is the day that i will enjoy listening to :puke: Tim McCarver call a baseball game

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users