GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:08 PM

One of the best comments on the article:

BREAKING NEWS:

Brendan Shanahan has suspended ESPNs Scott Burnside 6 weeks for his flagrant preseason rankings. They were deemed a targeted, direct blow to the intelligence of hockey fans everywhere.

He will know be considered a repeat offender lol.

#22 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 526 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:43 PM

It was a joke in seasons past... but right now, I think it's accurate as a pre-season rank. We've coasted off the past for the past few seasons and it's time to re-establish the Devils as a legitimate force.That's going be hard to do with goaltenders past their prime, and our #1 center out for a few months. This team needs to step it up and prove their worth... And hopefully we'll all be grateful when we're back in the top 10, 5, etc

I understand they haven't gotten out of the first round in a few years, but (prior to last year) they did win the division 3 out of 4 years with 100+ point seasons. How is that coasting?

As much as the Islanders sucked, they had an amazing second half.Toronto finished ahead of us... and people like the Avs prospects.I'm not saying we're a bad team, or that we are missing the playoffs. But it's not a ridicuolous statement to say we are in the bottom 10 of the league right now as a pre-season rank. You can argue where we fall. And Burnside won't give us the benefit of the doubt. But in years past, we were ranked 20th, etc for absolutely no reason other than - they are bound to fail sometime, right?So I'm fine with a 20-25 rank preseason... if we're as good as we think, we'll move up quickly.

and as much as the devils sucked, they had a better second half season. (26-7-3 to end the season) but the isles deserve a better spot because they had an amazing second half?

The devs don't always get the respect they deserve (from the media) and in general I don't really care, but those 2 points you made just jumped out at me though.
Joe

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,770 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 05:47 PM

hahaha, like journalists know anything about the league. i wonder if someone like burnside can name NJ's starting defensemen. probably not.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Totally different team and talent pool.

I used to feel that way. I always had faith in the team based on the talent, leadership and structure of the organization. Those days are gone.

I used to question your posts on hockeytraderumors back as far as 2000 and I still question them on here. In terms of pure talent NJ has plenty of speed and skill, the problem is having it mesh together on time.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#25 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I understand they haven't gotten out of the first round in a few years, but (prior to last year) they did win the division 3 out of 4 years with 100+ point seasons. How is that coasting?

That's a fair point. I think when I wrote that today I was basing my feelings of our teams overall quality (thinking of the playoffs)... in which case, we've coasted off our accomplishments. But years of playoff disappointments have left me a bit jaded; followed by not even making it last year.

and as much as the devils sucked, they had a better second half season. (26-7-3 to end the season) but the isles deserve a better spot because they had an amazing second half?

I think that's a push and where its fair to say they are about equal on that point. So if someone wants to say the Islanders are better than the Devs, I can't really argue them yet. To come out and say we are clearly better than the Isles, I don't think we can say that without playing some games this year.

We need to prove ourselves, and I am confident we can reclaim our status as a contender. But we need to earn it back; we are no longer entitled to the respect of our past generation of Devils which is fading away with Broduer and Elias.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#26 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 11:20 PM

I can see why we are ranked so low. We are depending on kids (Larssson, Tedenby, Josefson, Palmieri, Henrique, etc) to get the job done. They are not proven and not well known for the most part to most of the league. However, WE know what these players are capable of, and this is how you win Stanley Cups these days. Look around at the teams to go all the way recently, most are filled with young stars in their prime and unproven young talent just waiting to burst out of the gate. We have this build, and we have a good goaltending duo. If you've watched Marty this preseason, he's looked fantastic. This is going to be a good year for us.

#27 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

The Devils are not a talentless team as some repeat on here. They have a lot of good young talent. Will that talent perform up to the peak of their abilities? If yes then then this will be an exciting year. If the potential isn't reached then this could be another frustrating year.

I know that none of what I just said is in-depth analysis but I simply want to say that the talent is there to be successful in this league. Now it is up to the coaches and players to do their part.

Edited by devilsadvoc8, 04 October 2011 - 07:34 AM.

Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#28 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

I used to question your posts on hockeytraderumors back as far as 2000 and I still question them on here. In terms of pure talent NJ has plenty of speed and skill, the problem is having it mesh together on time.

Fair enough, as I often question most of your post's as well.

The Devils have a handful of talent, but not as much as everyone else.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#29 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:00 AM

For Christ's sakes we have Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk on the same team! And, they didnt even play together during the second half when we were the best team in the NHL. Dont tell me we dont have talent and that we are the 6th-worst team in the league! Dont tell me a team with Rick DiPietro, John Tavares, and Brian Rolston is better either.

Edited by devlman, 04 October 2011 - 10:02 AM.

#30 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

For Christ's sakes we have Zach Parise and Ilya Kovalchuk on the same team! And, they didnt even play together during the second half when we were the best team in the NHL. Dont tell me we dont have talent and that we are the 6th-worst team in the league! Dont tell me a team with Rick DiPietro, John Tavares, and Brian Rolston is better either.

I like the Isles this year. Tavares, Moulson, Grabner, Okposo, Parentau ... their D is a bit lacking... but DiPietro/Nabakov/Montoya - 1 of those guys should be able to be healthy and be able to play servicably to keep them in some games.

Again, because I feel like I'm getting pegged a Devs flamer... I like the Devs this year, and I think they will be better than 24th... but I think its fair to peg them in the bottom third, as-is... in the preseason before we dropped a puck in the regular season. They need to prove they are a better team that can get past a Zajac injury and that Kovy can mesh in our system and produce at the level we signed him for.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#31 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:48 AM

I like the Isles this year. Tavares, Moulson, Grabner, Okposo, Parentau ... their D is a bit lacking... but DiPietro/Nabakov/Montoya - 1 of those guys should be able to be healthy and be able to play servicably to keep them in some games.

Again, because I feel like I'm getting pegged a Devs flamer... I like the Devs this year, and I think they will be better than 24th... but I think its fair to peg them in the bottom third, as-is... in the preseason before we dropped a puck in the regular season. They need to prove they are a better team that can get past a Zajac injury and that Kovy can mesh in our system and produce at the level we signed him for.

Thats an understandable position but consider that the Isles' kids have been supposed to take 'the next step' for over a decade now. I dont see this year being any different.

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Aylbert - I think you're not getting a bad rap so much. I get the feeling people are talking about people saying flat out this team lacks talent. You're saying based on the past it isn't unreasonable to place the Devils low in the pack. I agree. I agree with Jason also that this team just doesn't' get it together when it HAS to. They fly high when there's nothing so much at stake - but when pressure is on they fold like a deck of cards.

I see no one on the bench stepping up to change that any time soon either. Zach sure as sh!t hasn't. At least Elias and Kovalchuk try to assume a ridiculous amount of personal responsibility. IMO Zach is underperforming along the lines of a neidermayer. He's letting others take the lead rather than take the team in hand. There is no leader and frankly I feel a reluctance from Zach -- there's always a reason to not flip out and take control. Well guess what -- take fvcking control NOW or honestly I won't give a sh!t if you walk. Love the dude but I see nothign but group think leadership and honestly - Lou may love that but it's just not enough <_<

You know - I dont know how hard it is to take things in hand. Maybe it's just something that happens. I think it requires calling people out on their sh!t right on ice right in the moment. You're not a bad guy if you do that. and it's not some sanctimonious way -- or some helpful problem solving way -- for krissake just assume these guys can play. I think the team is taking it too easy on everyone in the moment and that makes for out of line reactions all over the place. Call them WHEN you see them and don't make a big feckin' deal out of it, you know? No holding sh!t in letting it slip out in bitchy childish ways. That's dishonest and unkind. Try embracing healthy conflict. You play hockey you wussbags

I need a just cranky grumbly smilie <_< isn't enough and :rant: is too much... :puke:

We'll see what all the new guys bring to the table - this may all be moot now. but I'm grumpy as all hell just thinking about it imagining it all out...

I'm here for the party

#33 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 11:02 AM

If they dont score more goals then Burnside is right.

#34 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

I understand many think we need to wait and see but im sorry, there is no way we are finishing behind the Isles this year. we had veryyy similar second halves last year so theres no way they should be ranked ahead just on that. and just look at the two teams, they are the islanders, it will not happen.

and who said we dont have much talent??? must be out of your mind! just look at our players and see we have some of the greatest skill sets out there. the problem clearly is figuring out how to play together

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#35 funetiklee

funetiklee

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:44 PM

Latest rankings have us 10th... but Burnside still manages to get a dig in on us.

#36 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

...I fail to see the dig?

The surprising Devils bounced back from a 2-0 deficit in Nashville on Saturday to win their third straight. No Martin Brodeur (out with a shoulder injury)? Apparently, no problem, as veteran Johan Hedberg stopped 29 of 31 shots and both Nashville shootout attempts. He also stopped a Sergei Kostitsyn penalty shot.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#37 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,070 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

I do not see it either. I guess at this point anything he says is a dig in many Devils fans eyes but given his history I can understand that.

#38 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

10th without a retraction for their earlier stupidity should be mandatory. How can the best second half team in the nhl be ranked so low to start when they added a zach parise?! Not to mention larsson, salvador, maturity of second year guys, etc..

#39 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:28 PM

Not a big fan of the ESPN hockey crew. Stuck listening to Hockey Today as well until Puckdaddy Radio comes back.
Posted Image Posted Image

#40 Easy Parise

Easy Parise

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:31 PM

Did you guys even read it?

The Islanders, Devils, Leafs and Avalanche all inhabit the upper echelons of this week's Power Rankings. What's next? Toads falling from the sky?

Oh relax, Devils fans; we're just having a little fun!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users