31 replies to this topic

#21 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

Play the game the right way. He's said that about 7,000 times so far since he's been hired. I guess it's better than Johnny Mac's ya knows.

... yea because "playing the game the right way" means anything specific at all...

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#22 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 09:33 PM

he wants a balanced team plain and simple. forwards go back on defense and defensemen go up on the offense.

Playing the game the right way...

OK - I'm calm now. :evil:

I'm here for the party

#23 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:27 AM

the Devils are messing with -- it's complicated and I'm not sure I want to go into it -- but then again no one understands a thing I write so no danger blabbing too much yeah?

sometimes i think i do....but ehhh im probably wrong....either way still enjoy trying to figure it all out :boogie:
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#24 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,328 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:38 AM

... yea because "playing the game the right way" means anything specific at all...

He wants the team to put their best foot forward... he also watches a lot of tape and assures everyone the other teams are what he thought they were.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#25 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,511 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:08 AM

From the article:

PREDICTION

They’ll compete for a playoff spot, but they won’t be their familiar contenders. They were dysfunctional for the first half last season, a juggernaut for much of the second half, and they’re likely to do so again. Kovalchuk will have to score plenty or dysfunction repeats. If they manage to go 43-33-6, that would be 92 points, enough to sneak in.

This sounds about right, really. It's not like Neverson is predicting them to be complete non-factors. There are parts of the article I don't agree with...especially the part where Neverson makes it sound like Brodeur has never florished under coaches not named Lemaire...but more and more this is feeling like a transition year to me. Hard to say that when it could be Brodeur's last year with the team, but unless Larsson, Josefson and Tedenby grow up in a hurry, and the Devils suddenly find chemistry that they really haven't had in years (despite impressive regular season point totals until last season), I can't see them doing any better than the 43-33-6 mark (or something like it) Neverson throws out there.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#26 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:25 AM

I think that his prediction is off - it won't be status quo - things will all be different so Kovalchuk scoring isn't any lone factor of import.

1) The season has to be used as it was meant to be used - preparation. No pressing from anyone.

2) No looking at the score board as a bottom line. It's a measure only -- not you're objective.

2) Success needs to be ignored as much as failure in the regular season. The sensation of control and flow need to be the main focus.

3) Identity needs to be established - again this has to be independent of win-lose record. The team is about hockey Hockey.

4) It needs to be understood - when someone says "we need this win" it's not for the WIN per se -- it's for the sensation and affirmation that you are in control and your opponents aren't controlling your game.

The Ugly goal.... the it wasn't pretty but we got the win.... - these phrases need to be understood more clearly. This does not mean Boy I got lucky! I was sh!t out of position and fvcked myself royally but the hockey gods were there for me. That's TOTAL UTTER BULLsh!t AND WILL NOT WIN A CUP. Those phrases are supposed to mean you had to work your ass off to STAY IN POSITION. It means you faced a tough team and you had to WORK to win. There was no room for finesse it had to be bare bones hockey by the book. THAT is a fvcking ugly goal - and ugly win - not fvckING AROUND AND PULLING BULLsh!t OUT OF YOUR ASS. You need to say you didn't deserve a win - not that a win is all that counts. <_< losers... anyhow...

There are just really simple things that haven't been happening - the words are always there but the correct intent and meaning is not behind them. I'm rreeeeeally tired of it. :urg:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 06 October 2011 - 08:29 AM.

I'm here for the party

#27 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:02 PM

Posted Image

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is!
Posted Image
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#28 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

:unsure:

I'm here for the party

#29 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:11 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#30 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:13 AM

Posted Image

I'm here for the party

#31 Masked Fan

Masked Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:18 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
2009 Chico

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:27 AM

Posted Image

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic