129 replies to this topic

#61 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

i dont think he was necessarily calling Parise out.. maybe putting a little pressure but i hope parise will just rise up and prove he will be a great captain.

i agree

#62 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:02 PM

yay. Posted Image

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#63 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

Well Marty didn't mince words....and I love it.

http://www.nj.com/de...ise_captai.html

Or, you guys are reading it wrong. Perhaps Marty is very "matter-of-fact" when being asked how Parise will stack up against Scotty S., Scotty N., etc., by basically saying "one year isn't a good gauge for evaluating his captaincy. If he stays then we can really see how effective he is..."

He isn't calling out anything...wishful thinking on your part...

#64 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

Kovalchuk's wordsmithery

LOL, two words I never considered that I would see together !

I'm sure we could think of others that "either had but didn't show", or maybe did "display" the kind of fire we've missed since #4 retired, but Zach is the first one that comes to my mind.

#65 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

Stoked!
Posted Image Posted Image

#66 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

Or, you guys are reading it wrong. Perhaps Marty is very "matter-of-fact" when being asked how Parise will stack up against Scotty S., Scotty N., etc., by basically saying "one year isn't a good gauge for evaluating his captaincy. If he stays then we can really see how effective he is..."

He isn't calling out anything...wishful thinking on your part...

That's exactly right. If you read the previous sentence (which was omitted here), it states: "Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how he thought Parise would measure up to past captains like Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Elias, Bruce Driver and Jamie Langenbrunner." Just goes to show how much context matters, and why journalists can completely change a story to their liking simply by omitting some choice sentences.

#67 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

i dont think you need to be vocal as captain. eli manning is a captain and i think he leads by example when he lead the giants to the super bowl

#68 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:10 PM

That's exactly right. If you read the previous sentence (which was omitted here), it states: "Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how he thought Parise would measure up to past captains like Scott Stevens, Scott Niedermayer, Elias, Bruce Driver and Jamie Langenbrunner." Just goes to show how much context matters, and why journalists can completely change a story to their liking simply by omitting some choice sentences.

hahahaha what a joke.. way to omit the entire point of Martys statement (whoever that was).

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#69 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

Anyways even those points are useless Stevens didnt even want to be in NJ and ended up captain, Parise deserves it 100% thats all

And not only our captain but THE GREATEST CAPTAIN the NJ DEVS ever had
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#70 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,176 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

I can't say I love Parise's comments about not trying to change anything about what he does. That has been the problem in the past with Langs and Elias adjusting to the new responsibilities. You have to make some changes. You do need to be more vocal. Leading by example is good, but you have to be a leader of men, and that includes being more vocal and demanding of the team, taking young players under his wing and showing them ropes.

I hope he gets some advice form both Jamie and Patty about this adjustment, since they both never got comfortable in their new roles. If things go south early, you have to have a different mindset as Captain of a hockey team.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#71 El Diablo

El Diablo

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

lol Marty's a curmedgeon at this point in his career. But he's also a fan and wants the best for the team after he's gone.

I think that gives him the latitude to get away with such a statement and besides I could picture him in his sheepish grin telling zach --"you got to stay now"
Posted Image

- props to Puddy for Stevens banner above -

"Stevens doesn't check a guy's age, his salary, his scoring record or his Hall of Fame credentials when he lines him up. He just hits him. "

"YOURE NEXT" -Scott Stevens

"Where are you from?" Jersey. Where the weak are killed and eaten.

#72 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

I think even the NJ.COM story is wrong. Here's how it really went down...

Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how much he enjoys Parise's famous homemade crab dip.

"He's got to stay here. That's the bottom line," Brodeur said, referring to the fact Parise has only a one-year contract.

"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#73 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,120 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:24 PM

I can't say I love Parise's comments about not trying to change anything about what he does. That has been the problem in the past with Langs and Elias adjusting to the new responsibilities. You have to make some changes. You do need to be more vocal. Leading by example is good, but you have to be a leader of men, and that includes being more vocal and demanding of the team, taking young players under his wing and showing them ropes.

I hope he gets some advice form both Jamie and Patty about this adjustment, since they both never got comfortable in their new roles. If things go south early, you have to have a different mindset as Captain of a hockey team.

i agree with you, partially. someone here said earlier that being assigned the C position should not make you a better player.. should it change you? ehhhh.. its a thin line because although i agree with you saying he's gotta man up and take these yung'ns under his wing, i would also like to know that he's still gonna try and just be him, and play like he knows how

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#74 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,323 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Congrats Parise! As a fan I love watching him go all out every time he's on the ice - I can't believe someone is actually questioning his work ethic here. I trust the Devils organization to make the right decision.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#75 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

I think even the NJ.COM story is wrong. Here's how it really went down...

Goalie Martin Brodeur was asked how much he enjoys Parise's famous homemade crab dip.

"He's got to stay here. That's the bottom line," Brodeur said, referring to the fact Parise has only a one-year contract.

:rofl:

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#76 skeeter

skeeter

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:29 PM

Good stuff.

http://www.nj.com/de...ise_captai.html

Of course, many observers will wonder whether Devils' management decided to give the captaincy to Parise hoping it will convince him to stay beyond this season.

"I wasn't in those meetings, so I don't know," Parise said with a laugh.

Will it work?

"Yes," he answered with another laugh.
gallery_47_36_882.png
Keeper of Mike Miller's cracking voice
Keeper of Claude the trumpet guy
Keeper of Slapshot the fondlin' mascot

#77 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

I found this SUPER interesting:

"It wasn't a solo decision. This was something as a group we talked about from Lou (Lamoriello) to the coaching staff. I got an opportunity to spend the last 2-3 weeks around the group and we had the luxury here of a lot of leadership candidates. The group is much bigger than just the guys who are going to be wearing letters, starting with our goaltenders. There were a lot of good options."

Goalies are not allowed to wear a 'C' or 'A' in the NHL.

"I talked to Marty from Day 1 and I put (Johan) Hedberg in that leadership group, too," the coach said. "Those guys know despite not having a letter on their jersey. ... Actually, I was one of the first coaches to put a 'C' on a goalie in junior. I did that a long time ago. The kid's name was Rob Zep. It happened in the playoffs one year. I've done that once but I wasn't prepared to break any rules at the NHL level."

NJ.com

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#78 Chorske17

Chorske17

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:44 PM

I had my whole jersey done by Exclusive Pro (they do all the NHL teams' jerseys so it's 100% authentic)

www.exclusivepro.com/

First, I am not trying to call you out, merely to inform. But I believe this is an inaccurate statement in them doing ALL the NHL teams. For starters, not every NHL team has a stitched on name (SEE Nashville). There are at least a two other suppliers who do the lettering for teams. IF I recall doesn't Custom Crafted still do the St. Louis and Boston?
Game Worn Devils Collector! Please contact me concerning all things: Tom Chorske, Patrik Elias, David Hale, Bobby Holik, Jamie Langenbrunner, Grant Marshall, Kirk Muller, & Brian Rolston.

#79 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

First, I am not trying to call you out, merely to inform. But I believe this is an inaccurate statement in them doing ALL the NHL teams. For starters, not every NHL team has a stitched on name (SEE Nashville). There are at least a two other suppliers who do the lettering for teams. IF I recall doesn't Custom Crafted still do the St. Louis and Boston?

Nashville's jerseys are pressed or just the name plates?

Posted Image

#80 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 01:53 PM

I was hoping it would be Zach. Now let's hope he's up to the task. I'll bet he is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users