284 replies to this topic

#241 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:06 AM

The Flyers are a better team this year then the Devils, at least on paper. There's definitively some chemistry issues up top so far, and the defense looked shaky as well last night. Larsson looks awesome though, I predict Norris trophys.

I'm mostly worried about our lack of quality centers. Kovy needs a high end playmaker to rack em up.
Posted Image

#242 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

Game 1 of 82. They didn't look great but I am not going to panic yet.

Teddy didn't look good but Larsson looked very good. I imagine there will be games this year when he(Larsson) is awful so lets not declare him a bust after a -4 night which might happen sometimes.

Edited by devilsadvoc8, 09 October 2011 - 09:23 AM.

Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#243 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

The Devils are on pace to go winless and score zero goals this season. Woot!
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#244 devils102

devils102

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 862 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:06 AM

From what I saw last night... too many giveaways and dumb penalties.

The good news is those can be corrected. The bad news is those were largely the problems in the preseason and they didn't correct them yet.

I would like to see Deboer bail on the new system for now and just get the defensive side of the game down pat and then build from there... like what Lemaire did when he took over.
Posted Image

#245 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

and why couldn't clarkson put simmonds on his ass??

David "Fall Down and Go Boom" Clarkson???

#246 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

Clarkson gets worse every season...........he cant do anything right, why is he getting paid so much ???

#247 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:25 AM

Clarkson gets worse every season...........he cant do anything right, why is he getting paid so much ???

He gives good head.

#248 hystyk28

hystyk28

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

The Devils are slow. Really slow. They also looked like they did at beginning of last season, very out of shape.

The Bad, at least some of it.

Zubrus looked god awful. Tedenby is just too small, nowhere near as fast as other effective players in the league at his stature. Fayne looked really nervous.Palmieri was atrocious.
The D as a unit was slow to react to drop passes and any other plays that created time and space.Sykora looked slow and lost at times.Kovy was 2010 Kovy.

The Good.
Elias played a solid game, including being more physical. Larson looks so poised, only gonna get better. henrique is still my diamond in the rough. Jj was solid also. For all the Clarkson haters, you must not have watched the first half of the game, as he was clearly the best forward for the Devils.

Chrissy Pronger gets away with murder out there, the way he swings his stick, I am amazed he doesn't really hurt someone. Bolton should have removed all his teeth with an elbow.

#249 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

He gives good head.

must be something behind the scenes going on

I had to laugh when he was on the power play, spun around with the puck and passed it to the 2 Flyers standing near by !!!

#250 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

I just got finished watching the game this morning and well as you all know that really sucked.

On the bright side, Marty looked really good and this could have been a lot worse if it wasn't for him. Not a good sign when Sykora basically had the best scoring chances tonight.

#251 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:21 AM

The flyers won against the cup champions in their first game, 2 top teams in the league and then played a team with a new coach system, who havent played a game in 6 days and with one of their MVP out of the lineup

i know it was a mess but come on it wasnt THAT bad

first on one of our first PP we did some pretty good plays, Elias missed the net on a nice tic-tac-toe play, it could have been a goal and a pretty one... then on the same PP parise almost got a good rebound, could have been a goal too.

Then they scored cause Kovy and Palmieri went on the same player and got caught cause Palm was lazy and couldnt reach Giroux in time

then we could have scored on Parise redirection and then sykora with the side of the net open. could have changed the game

Read's goal is a good example of "you can't just glide next to a player in your zone waiting for him to shoot and see what happen" Kovy should have been on Read's ass pokechecking or something to prevent a good shot. Brodeur should have stop that puck tho

Simmonds goal... i mean what can you do other than learn from it (CLARKSON ARE YOU LISTENING?)

well all im saying is that we "could" have win that one... would have been an ugly one but we'd be out there saying that we'll still take it and that its 2 pts at least

now lets built from it and beat those hurricanes

Edited by SterioDesign, 09 October 2011 - 11:22 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#252 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,881 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Line of the night, from when I was on line in the mens room between the 2nd and 3rd, from a Devils fan to a guy with a JVR jersey: "I went to high school with van Riemsdyk. He likes cock". Lmfao.

Edited by MadDog2020, 09 October 2011 - 11:26 AM.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#253 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:33 AM

also with the look of our lineup we could certainly use a 4.5m extra guy or something, philly are against the cap and have a real solid team, its hard to compete that way

www.SterioDesign.com

#254 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,165 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:01 PM

Game 1 of 82. They didn't look great but I am not going to panic yet.

Teddy didn't look good but Larsson looked very good. I imagine there will be games this year when he(Larsson) is awful so lets not declare him a bust after a -4 night which might happen sometimes.

Pretty much my takeaway here.. We've never played well against the Flyers (their system is just kryptonite for ours so I didn't expect a win)..

But a big positive in the crowd was that there were VERY few Flyers fans there.. Not just very few compared to previous times we've played them at home, but very few in general.. So that was nice to see

Edited by Colin226, 09 October 2011 - 12:01 PM.

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#255 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

I really do not like that second line. Zubrus centering Kovalchuk did not look very good. Other than that, I really have no suggestions for the offense, which is quite scary. Clarkson can't really be moved from where he is. I'm sick of seeing him bite off more than he can chew over and over and over again. I'd like to see Josefson centering the second line, but I'm not sure he'd be ready for that. Despite what some are saying, I thought he played a solid game yesterday.

Palmieri seemed useless last night. It's amazing how he made the team and Bernier couldn't even make it.

I wonder if something like this would be better:

Parise-Elias-Zubrus
Kovalchuk-Josefson-Sykora
Tedenby-Henrique-Clarkson
Boulton-Mills-Zharkov

Sure as hell seems better than what we had last night (maybe switching Sykora and Zubrus?). This way we seem to have some more speed, and Tedenby isn't alone on the fourth line. I truly think that reworking some of the lines and finding the right chemistry will fix everything. We have the potential in our players to score.

As for D, Larsson seemed to show up. I just wish Fayne with Greene would work out. We need a big year from Greene, imo, and I'm not sure that pairing him with Larsson is the best way to do that (mostly because he may be pressured to play a more conservative game, not that Larsson will necessarily need him to). Tallinder-Larsson would be awesome, I think. And what are we going to do about Salvador and Volchenkov? That did not look good at all. Though, to be honest, Salvador looked better than expected.

They looked awful last night, but I'll wait a couple more games to worry. I have confidence that they'll get it together. It's just a matter of reworking some things and finding some chemistry. As someone else stated, this may tire out Brodeur if it takes a while, but that's why we'll use Hedberg to start a lot more this year.

#256 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

well all im saying is that we "could" have win that one...

You're delusional. We were nowhere close to coming out of that game tied, let alone winning it. That was as close to an AHL-vs-NHL performance as you can get.

I'm not saying this will continue, but we had no chance in that game.

#257 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,677 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:11 PM

You're delusional. We were nowhere close to coming out of that game tied, let alone winning it. That was as close to an AHL-vs-NHL performance as you can get.

I'm not saying this will continue, but we had no chance in that game.

lol whoah i never said it was a tight game or anything but some night eventho you play your best you just can't goals and the other team get the ugly ones and somehow win...

of course in that example we would have been the outplayed team with the ugly ones, but we've seen that before

www.SterioDesign.com

#258 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

I'd actually like DeBoer to do something more along the lines of this:

Parise Josefson Zubrus
Kovalchuk Elias Sykora
Tedenby Henrique Clarkson
Boulton Mills Palmieri

Tallinder Larsson
Greene Volchenkov
Fayne Salvador

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#259 Jerzey Devil

Jerzey Devil

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

I thought the first power play looked awesome even if they didn't score. Too bad the rest of them looked like sh!t but the potential is there.

I'm happy they're moving Josefson back to the Kovy line. Zubs and Kovy just don't seem to have chemistry.

Larsson looked great.

I think Fayne and Palmeri both had horrible games.

Marty looked great and I'm glad they're resting him tomorrow. Still very early in the season and we'll need Marty to play more later on.

All in all I think there is a lot of potential on this team. They just have to get it together. Sometimes be more selfish and shoot the puck. Larsson didn't hesitate to shoot when he had the shot and I liked that.

Side note I'd like to congratulate New Jersey's own Frankie Edgar on successfully defending his UFC LW title last night. He's a great fighter and a great champion.

#260 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

I'd actually like DeBoer to do something more along the lines of this:

Parise Josefson Zubrus
Kovalchuk Elias Sykora
Tedenby Henrique Clarkson
Boulton Mills Palmieri