284 replies to this topic

#261 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

lol whoah i never said it was a tight game or anything but some night eventho you play your best you just can't goals and the other team get the ugly ones and somehow win...

of course in that example we would have been the outplayed team with the ugly ones, but we've seen that before

The problem is that last night wasn't a case where we just couldn't score. We had very few scoring chances, and that's probably one of the easiest shutouts any goalie will have this year. Ugly goals happen and are even a necessity for a winning team, but last night we had very few opportunities to even get those ugly goals.

#262 mikeford

mikeford

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,018 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

I only saw the first period, they were not good, but the Flyers are not 'extremely solid', nor is NJ 'not very good'.

Then your opinion on the matter means exactly DICK.

No one is as consistently full of sh!t on this board as you, so I'll give you that at least.

#263 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

Becca learned a lesson tonight. Very funny. BEFORE the game she confessed - while she loves moose, "the other guy" is her favorite because she likes "guys who stop goals."

After the game I asked if she was sure moose wasn't her favorite and she just looked incredulous and said "they scored NO goals"

Also very cute - she wanted to know how I knew who everyone was - so we went down the roster and I told her that numbers are names.

TRI - first period was awful but then they started clicking. That's what I was saying before - those are some shaky egos running that team. Pronger can be shaken easy! There is no refuting that. What surprised me is how fragile Hartnell is. if you get him off his game and don't let him regroup he's lost. :giggle: What's nice is then you'll have Jagr seeing his chance and personally I see epic fail there.... :uni: but the Devils haven't gotten to a head-games place yet.

What the Flyers have is communication. It's fine to say the Flyers are solid. I WANT them that way - that's what makes games fun. And how solid they are just isn't the Devils problem. The Devils can only work with the Devils.

What the majority of this board is doing which I'd prefer we all stop now because it's boring and EXACTLY NOT where the Devils need to be focusing is head sh!t. No answer, drills or even areas to work on -- just everyone is untalented or fvcked up. What good is that? it just makes you feel all hot and bothered? Get over it. It's boring and if not completely untrue it's a self-fulfilling prophesy. What a waste of time and thought.

Then your opinion on the matter means exactly DICK.

No one is as consistently full of sh!t on this board as you, so I'll give you that at least.

Kind of an ineffective communication style you've got there eh?
I'm just getting myself on your radar so I don't lose the MOST FULL OF sh!t badge here :evil:

I'm here for the party

#264 StarDew

StarDew

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,682 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

The sky is falling Chicken Little and they only played 1 out of 82 games. :rolleyes: :noclue:
Dew
So long and thanks for all the fish.
TIMEX RULES!!

"When we were struggling at the beginning of the year we were wondering what was wrong and trying to find reasons. At the end of the day, all we had to do was look in the mirror and the answers were right there." -- Sergei Brylin 12/2/2007

#265 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

The PK was good (killing 8 penalties), Marty was good, and that's about it. The offense had no breakout and the entire team looks slow. JL said the team was out of shape when he took over, and that might be the case this year as well. I think I read Deboer doesn't have many/long practices. Hopefully it's just because it is the beginning of the year but damn. The powerplay looked ok, but the puck left the zone way too much. The defense let up way too many odd man chances, have to be more responsible. Clearly this new system is going to take a few games to set in.

#266 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

The sky is falling Chicken Little and they only played 1 out of 82 games. :rolleyes: :noclue:

Sounds a lot like last year. It's only game 1, then it's only game 10, then it's only game 20.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#267 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:36 PM

Sounds a lot like last year. It's only game 1, then it's only game 10, then it's only game 20.

Except it literally is only ONE game. When we get to TEN, we'll discuss.

#268 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

jezz....kovi and sykora can't play together.....i dont know who can play with kovi anymore
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#269 jonnyd91

jonnyd91

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Yup it's becoming more and more apparent this team just can't score. I really think they are hexed.

#270 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,926 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

Yup it's becoming more and more apparent this team just can't score. I really think they are hexed.

I can't understand how a team with Zach Parise, Patrik Elias, and Ilya Kovalchuk on the first 2 lines can't score goals. Its beyond me.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#271 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Just focus on winning next game

#272 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:11 PM

I can't understand how a team with Zach Parise, Patrik Elias, and Ilya Kovalchuk on the first 2 lines can't score goals. Its beyond me.

Too much flash and not enough grit up front, and too many defensemen that don't help the transition game.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#273 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Too much flash and not enough grit up front, and too many defensemen that don't help the transition game.

god, id love to see ryan clowe or scott hartnell in our top 6. I think theyd complement our skill players greatly (aside from hartnells dumb penalties)

#274 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

Yes, they played like crap, that much is obvious, the officiating was atrocious, and the flyers got away with their typical dirty style of play. Don't agree with the misconduct penalties at all, fighting major, fine, 2 mins fine, not the 10:00. I was halfway up section 13. too many flyers fans all around us. At least the ones to my left were civil, the douche in front of us had a LeClair jersey on and all he wanted to do was bash his buddy (a devils fan). Honestly I don't know how a devils fan can be friends with a flyers fan. THEN I had the real housewives of Philadelphia behind me. All game it was Nodl this and Hartnell that, Like they wanted to have their babies or something, fat cows in stretch pants a few in flyers orange, and they were also talking like they thought they were knowledgeable when it was obvious they didn't know half of what they were talking about. Ugh and the cackling! I just wanted to turn around an bitchslap them and punch the douche in front of me in the back of the head everytime he opened his mouth. I wish there was some way to know whether you're sitting in a section like that before buying tickets. I guess though if I want to avoid it, just not go to a flyer or rangers game, it's too easy for their fans to get to our arena. I'm not a violent guy but it's so tempting to want to stoop to their level at a game like that. I hate the whole city of Philly and I'd take ranger fans over their fans any day.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#275 Joe B

Joe B

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'm not sure how everyone has such a strong opinion on this team after 1 game when half the game was special teams. The looked sloppy in the first, better in the second and they didn't look good the third, no flow but I guess that is tough when you are shorthanded. passing will get better, the offsides and icings will decline. Early season game, let them get a few games under their belt before jumping off buildings. Usually takes 10 - 15 games to get a feel for a team.
Joe

#276 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,848 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:06 PM

yeah i mean to be fair, we had two guys (Parise salvador) who played littler nothing last year, it'll take them time to get in a regular flow with real games, and we have a new bunch of rookies - Larsson, Henrique, Boulton that need to get used to regular season NHL. I mean did you really expect them all to gel game 1 - especially with the team we were stuck against on our home opener? I would have love to have seen us play anyone NOT in our division on the home opener. At least then there'd be some hope of a confidence boosting win. I know, some people are gonna say they love the drama of playing division rivals and all that, but I would have liked to see them play someone outside as like a confidence booster, not a creampuff team, but not flyers, rangers or even pens. Maybe the Isles....

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#277 devs82fan

devs82fan

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:30 PM

thankfully it's only 1 game and they can forget about it and move on to the hurricanes and win!!!

#278 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

I decided to stay away from the boards just so I don't say anything stupid. Here's my reaction from game 1:

Marty looked great.

I would love for Lou and DeBoer to replace Fayne with Stralman.

Kovy tries way to hard and needs Zajac. He also needs a goal or two to go in to get some confidence so he's not so tight.

Larsson was the best defender.

The Flyers are tough, fast, and know what they are doing. The Devils did not have one scoring drive-type play or any rushes. The Flyers had hard and quick passes that were confusing the hell out of our D.

Clarkson looked like an idiot. Boulton and Mills can fight... Clarkie needs to try to create some scoring chances if he wants to be on the 3rd or second line.
TWITTER: www.twitter.com/timoninjd~ANDREW

#279 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,343 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

Clarkie needs to try to create some scoring chances if he wants to be on the 3rd or second line.

:giggle: who here thinks he's holding back on the Clarkson critique?

OK -- I was thinking while walking to my office (how sick is that?) Tallinder. See I LIKE him I do. And he's not clueless. He's not even slow. It more like there is a little confusion maybe? He's making choices I don't agree with -- and he's not fully committed in any direction. I feel like EVERYONE on the team is like that though.

EVERYONE is doing too much and not enough.

Tallinder is particular easy to understand though (even if I'm wrong and just making a good excuse :evil: ) He is an offensive defenceman AND he's a mentor for all defence. and right there is the problem... He's just not fully committed on ice. He moves up with the rush and then rather than fully controlling the puck he's got probably 1/8th of his brain thinking about keeping the puck merely in the zone... that's all that's needed to strip him of the puck.

The puck stripping of the entire team is kind of inexcusable. So much so that I cannot say turnovers. It's WORSE than that -- it's halfassed because the focus isn't there. Not on anyone's part.

Id have the water boy on the sidelines throwing tennis balls at these fvckers during practice. They need to hire a heckler to teach these men focus.

HEEEYYYYY! Sean Avery is looking for work!! He could be like a rodeo clown for hockey kind of, ust on ice to pull focus in unexpected ways. It seems that things ar practice are too slow and too expected. They aren't learning new and unexpected things so they're not very good in real life situations it felt like this last game....

I'm just talking but still...

WAIT A SEC... did someone write this already? Is this deja vu?

Edited by Pepperkorn, 10 October 2011 - 09:21 AM.

I'm here for the party

#280 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

:giggle: who here thinks he's holding back on the Clarkson critique?

I certainly am holding back haha. I cannot stand him as a hockey player.

BTW very nice finally meeting you Saturday!
TWITTER: www.twitter.com/timoninjd~ANDREW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users