44 replies to this topic

#21 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:35 PM

Is this about the atmosphere at The Rock tonight (and all season long), or, as hurricane mentioned, another desperate plea for fans to support the 'supporters section'?

There have been two vocal, passionate sections for decades - 208 and 233 (formerly 217 and 228 at CAA) - fans who supported the team through wins and losses (including all of last year, not just a few games that the front office wanted to unload seats for) - and fans who didn't need official recognition and a sign and constant jumbotron coverage. The 208 and 233 regulars worked their way to being the 'go-to' sections of the arena for passion, they didn't just beg the front office, and other fans, to recognize them.

I definitely believe that the 'supporter section' adds a much needed vocal section on the Taste of Newark side of the building, but the constant need to promote that section is getting old - they need to earn a reputation for themselves by action, not online pleading and help from the front office.

Bottom line - every Devils fan in attendance tonight (and all season long) needs to be vocal in maintaining home ice advantage regardless of where they sit.

I was part of it last year, and I don't remember any begging of the front office for official recognition. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was the Devils that came to us and offered the official recognition and unexpectedly gave us free tickets for one or two games. No offense, but from a reader's perspective that post just reeks of bitterness.

And I agree with you 100% that everyone there needs to make themselves a part of the atmosphere, not just one official loud section, not two unofficial loud sections, every section. It is disheartening to see so many people just sitting there with their hands on their lap all game long. Why even bother going to the game then? How could it be worth your money to just sit there like that? I don't get it, maybe someday we will have a nice home rink atmosphere.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#22 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,115 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

Yep, as expected we had a great grassroots thing going and the Devils took it over and dragged it into the ground. Seems like a lot of us who were part of it last year were left out by their decision to make it season tickets only.

I told them several times it was essential to keep at least 1 row open to allow different people into the group and that would be how it would naturally expand. Plus not everyone can make it out to every game for several different reasons and factors. And let's be honest here, it's not like that row or two wouldn't be open on most nights anyway. They lack common sense.

#23 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

I told them several times it was essential to keep at least 1 row open to allow different people into the group and that would be how it would naturally expand. Plus not everyone can make it out to every game for several different reasons and factors. And let's be honest here, it's not like that row or two wouldn't be open on most nights anyway. They lack common sense.

Yea I said the same thing to my ticket rep. Of course it wasn't his decision but he said he would forward it to whoever was in charge of it, but either he didn't bother or the guy didn't care or didn't agree with us on that being the way to go. Unfortunate.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#24 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,115 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:41 PM

I was part of it last year, and I don't remember any begging of the front office for official recognition. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was the Devils that came to us and offered the official recognition and unexpectedly gave us free tickets for one or two games. No offense, but from a reader's perspective that post just reeks of bitterness.

And I agree with you 100% that everyone there needs to make themselves a part of the atmosphere, not just one official loud section, not two unofficial loud sections, every section. It is disheartening to see so many people just sitting there with their hands on their lap all game long. Why even bother going to the game then? How could it be worth your money to just sit there like that? I don't get it, maybe someday we will have a nice home rink atmosphere.

Cause you are right, we never begged for anything. I sent them an email asking them to give us the back of a section to let us stand/chant. They said yes and that was that. All the stuff the front office did was because they wanted to do it.

The bottom line is that whoever is in the section now has to pick up the ball and run with it to make it work. Being quiet no matter how many goals we are down doesn't accomplish that. It's only game 1 but I'm hoping to see it get better.

Edited by Satans Hockey, 09 October 2011 - 01:43 PM.

#25 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:38 PM

The crowd was great last night. There were lots of loud sections - the Flyer fans got shut down despite their winning. and there were very few Flyer fans there -- it was awesome.

Some of you guys just have to lighten up. I love the people that quietly enjoy a hockey game. they follow closely they enjoy the game they stay for all three periods and make smart comments about the game to each other. Not everyone CAN scream a full 60 minutes much less all through commercial breaks and time outs.... so we should kick them all out because they aren't loud enough for you. I was also pleased that there was no mass exodus on goal 3 -- a few people got up but they looked foolish and you could tell by the way they looked around defensively they felt foolish as well.

It was a great start I hope it's not just a special home opener crowd. Give people slack you guys -- players and observers alike. Everyone's dissatisfaction ALREADY is just ... well it's not fun makes me think I guess people don't want Devils to have fans.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 09 October 2011 - 02:38 PM.

I'm here for the party

#26 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:40 PM

Who had the vuvuzelas? :lol:

I'm here for the party

#27 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:00 PM

The crowd was great last night. There were lots of loud sections - the Flyer fans got shut down despite their winning. and there were very few Flyer fans there -- it was awesome.

Some of you guys just have to lighten up. I love the people that quietly enjoy a hockey game. they follow closely they enjoy the game they stay for all three periods and make smart comments about the game to each other. Not everyone CAN scream a full 60 minutes much less all through commercial breaks and time outs.... so we should kick them all out because they aren't loud enough for you. I was also pleased that there was no mass exodus on goal 3 -- a few people got up but they looked foolish and you could tell by the way they looked around defensively they felt foolish as well.

It was a great start I hope it's not just a special home opener crowd. Give people slack you guys -- players and observers alike. Everyone's dissatisfaction ALREADY is just ... well it's not fun makes me think I guess people don't want Devils to have fans.

2nd this...compare that game to the 1st rd vs flyers 2 years ago...toward the end of the third it was embarrassing that the flyer chants were louder then the devils

or the opener vs dallas...pretty empty for an opener

for the record the devils played better vs dallas then in this game...i think the opposition had something to do with that but i was much more optimistic after that one
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#28 devs82fan

devs82fan

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

the devils website has the viewing parties for this season up..http://devils.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=73868

#29 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 06:55 PM

pk, were you around 209?

#30 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:12 PM

I was in section 13, some guy had a green one next section over (12 i think)

Edited by Legion15, 09 October 2011 - 09:13 PM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#31 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:02 PM

Just one more comment...this thing was all about having anyone join and getting everyone involved. It was important that it was not a closed clique.

Now, you only have STHs, and the facebook page is by invite only. The chants aren't geared at spreading, instead they're often confusing and difficult to understand.

It's just the total opposite of what it started out as. The most important thing was being open and having new people get involved. I can't tell you how often people came over during the game and asked how to get involved. This can't happen with a closed section and facebook group.

#32 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

pk, were you around 209?

118 -- but I was wandering around with the kid... my kid that is, not lastone's :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 10 October 2011 - 09:02 AM.

I'm here for the party

#33 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:07 AM

I also kind of disagree with adam. I felt like the section is inspiring and people who were in different sections were embolden to chant and stuff. Hell even if they are a grumpy alternate clique who thinks they've been cut off from the "popular" fans - GOOD! Nothing like a little healthy pro-Devils cheering competition!

Who's louder the authorized or UNauthorized? Whoohooo! you can create the bad boy section without Devils endorsement -- :noclue: who cares?

I'm here for the party

#34 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

Some people go to games because they like hockey and want to enjoy the game. Some people enjoy the game by standing and chanting all game long, and some enjoy it by just watching it. To each his own. It's a matter of preference. Just because I don't feel the need to yell for 60 minutes (especially when the team is acting like the game is an inconvenience to them) doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#35 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,947 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

Yep, as expected we had a great grassroots thing going and the Devils took it over and dragged it into the ground. Seems like a lot of us who were part of it last year were left out by their decision to make it season tickets only.

As I said before, Devils' Marketing is the touch of death. The supporters section HAS to be totally fan-driven. How can the Devils name something they didnt start and are not really a part of?

#36 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,797 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

Some people go to games because they like hockey and want to enjoy the game. Some people enjoy the game by standing and chanting all game long, and some enjoy it by just watching it. To each his own. It's a matter of preference. Just because I don't feel the need to yell for 60 minutes (especially when the team is acting like the game is an inconvenience to them) doesn't mean I don't enjoy the game.

I'm not saying everyone has to stand and chant all game long, of course not everyone will want to do that. But I don't think it's too much to ask to at least get most of the arena involved in a simple "Let's go Devils chant" multiple times in a game. Usually these don't last very long and consist of 1-3 sections. If you go to a game in Philly or New York it is not like that at all, people make noise and support the team and the atmosphere. At our games, that never happens unless it's against the Rangers or Flyers, they are wearing the throwback jerseys, it's a playoff game, or Brodeur is breaking a record.
--John Buccigross

#37 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:41 AM

I'm not saying everyone has to stand and chant all game long, of course not everyone will want to do that. But I don't think it's too much to ask to at least get most of the arena involved in a simple "Let's go Devils chant" multiple times in a game. Usually these don't last very long and consist of 1-3 sections. If you go to a game in Philly or New York it is not like that at all, people make noise and support the team and the atmosphere. At our games, that never happens unless it's against the Rangers or Flyers, they are wearing the throwback jerseys, it's a playoff game, or Brodeur is breaking a record.

Because whether the Devils mean to or not, they don't usually give the fans much to get crazy over, and I don't mean just on the ice. Add in a spoiled fanbase and it's not totally shocking why the atmosphere is the way it is. Oh and I've watched Ranger home games; they don't make alot of noise either during the regular season.

#38 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:44 AM

Oh well yeah, lets go Devils chants and getting into the game is part of the experience. I thought you were referring to anyone who isn't into the yelling all game thing. I do definitely agree with getting into the game and atmosphere, but I also the team has some responsibility, too. I mean, that crowd was loud for the intros, and the beginning of the game, and opening faceoff... and then they gave us NOTHING to cheer for except for Marty bailing the team out every once in a while.

Some games in recent years have been electric, like playoffs, the first throwback night and the 552 night as you mentioned. But I think any game has the potential to be like that. Sadly, it doesn't happen much. But I really don't think that's JUST the Devils. I think a lot of buildings are quiet some nights (outside of Canada and some other markets.)
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#39 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:18 PM

Funny -- the crowd couldn't even hold a moment of silence and you all think they weren't loud enough...

That bugged me.

I'm here for the party

#40 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,826 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:54 PM

Funny -- the crowd couldn't even hold a moment of silence and you all think they weren't loud enough...

That bugged me.

Same here. I really can't believe how classless some people are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users