Photo

GDT: Los Angeles Kings @ New Jersey Devils

• Please log in to reply
253 replies to this topic

Poll: Outcome of game. (50 member(s) have cast votes)

The New Jersey Devils will...

1. Win in regulation. (28 votes [56.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.00%

2. Lose in regulation. (5 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Win in OT. (6 votes [12.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.00%

4. Lose in OT. (1 votes [2.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.00%

5. Win in SO. (10 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

6. Lose in SO. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:11 AM

Kovy is being double shifted because he's the best player on the team. The fact that he is playing "alone" is not his fault. I still think they should try to set him up on the first line with Elias and Sykora.

Looks like Kovy will always have his apologists, no matter how boneheaded he continues to look on the ice.

The problems with Kovy are nothing new. Terrible hockey instincts, terrible decisions. Doesn't look like it's ever going to change, despite Kovy showing flashes of progress in righting the wrongs in his game last season. He is what he is. Unfortunately, here it looks like he's going to be a 30-35 goal, 60-70 point player who will sometimes electrify, but will frustrate much more often. The apologists will point to his occasional highlight-reel goals, but ignore the far more numerous maddening moments. At least he buried his shootout chance.

And yeah, re: Clarkson, he gets more painful to watch by the shift.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#222 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:04 AM

Found this exchange between Cangialosi and Chico a little bizarre...

STEVE: "I think you'd look good in high heels and a miniskirt."
CHICO: "What's that?"
STEVE: "Oh, uh...back to the action...they're lining up for the faceoff..."
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#223 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:19 AM

Unfortunately, here it looks like he's going to be a 30-35 goal, 60-70 point player who will sometimes electrify, but will frustrate much more often.

That fact that he was a point pr game player over 8 seasons in Atlanta(!) but is struggling to keep up with that now would to many people suggest the problem might not lie with him entirely. Unless you're suggesting that he's now past his prime at the age of 28 somehow.

I certainly agree that he's been making some lazy mistakes lately, but if you look as far back as the second half of last season he played very well overall. I agree Parise is arguably as good as Kovy all aspects of the game considered. Elias may have been close a few years ago as well.

Fact remains; Kovy needs a quality center to set him up. Put him next to Thornton and he'd have 60 goals a season.
Posted Image

#224 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

A lot of kovys turnovers are a result of him playing the role of lord of the dance on both sides of the ice. Give him a puck moving dman on our end and a talented center on the opposite end and he will return to his sniper role. That having been said, he should recognize the situation he is in and pass more, which he does well, rather than trying to skate the puck past all the guys on the opposite team.

As a side note, the team needs to play a more physical game. As a whole, our team is not quick enough to be winning puck battles by speed alone. Whenever I see the team play an aggressive backcheck/forecheck game, turnovers are created, which leads to scoring opportunities. Unfortunately, this has been the exception, rather than the rule in the past few years. I have not seen this part of their game change under the new coach...

Edited by Biggie B, 14 October 2011 - 08:23 AM.

Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#225 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:32 AM

thats exactly what i was saying this summer and you gave me sh!t about it, why are they giving those extra shifts to Kovy and not Zach? he played 10 more minutes than Parise tnight ? its been like that when Kovy came in too and im not sure Zach is thrilled about it especially when the other guy is rewarded while playing like sh!t

Kovy's big and has a huge amount of energy. Zach kills it for a shift, then does it again. Kovy looks the same at the end of a double shift. There are certainly holes in his game, which Zajac did a good job hiding, but there is no reason not to give him ice time, especially considering how little depth we have at forward with Zajac hurt. You need to take advantage of everybody's strengths, and one of Kovy's is his endurance. The only time I get mad at Kovy for staying out too long is when Zach's line is out next. Otherwise, let him play. Lemaire figured this out last year.

I'm not a Kovy apologist at all, but let's be fair when we complain about him.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#226 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:53 AM

That fact that he was a point pr game player over 8 seasons in Atlanta(!) but is struggling to keep up with that now would to many people suggest the problem might not lie with him entirely. Unless you're suggesting that he's now past his prime at the age of 28 somehow.

I certainly agree that he's been making some lazy mistakes lately, but if you look as far back as the second half of last season he played very well overall. I agree Parise is arguably as good as Kovy all aspects of the game considered. Elias may have been close a few years ago as well.

Fact remains; Kovy needs a quality center to set him up. Put him next to Thornton and he'd have 60 goals a season.

Kovy was a point per game player because when the Atlanta coaches opened their playbook, the lineup looked like this:

Kovy-Kovy-Kovy
Kovy-Kovy-Kovy
Kovy-Kovy-Kovy
Kovy-Kovy-Boulton

Defense (If they want... they don't have to)

Goalie
Other Goalie

If he has as light reduction in point production (5-10 goals less and 10-15 points less) I wouldn't be unhappy because that means his teammates are scoring as well. No one has mentioned the vast improvement of Kovy's two way game either. Every night I notice him making a good defensive play or two.

#227 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,486 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

This team looked excellent last night. Kovy has to break some bad habits, but I saw much more work from him on the defensive end of the puck as well. If he's a 60 to 70 point player that's fine because he looks like he's trying his best to work at becoming more defensively responsible.
That aside, I was amazed at how well we looked out there last night.
Defenseman jumping up in the play, crashing the net, nice, crisp passing. Totally ne Devils squad IMO.

#228 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

It's funny how Sykora was practically out of the league and now finds himself on our top line, LOL. So far, he he looks pretty good, IMO. He is getting some chances.

And does everyone agree that the "C" fits Parise nicely? Maybe it's just me, but he looks bigger with it! Like thicker, LOL.

#229 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

A lot of kovys turnovers are a result of him playing the role of lord of the dance on both sides of the ice. Give him a puck moving dman on our end and a talented center on the opposite end and he will return to his sniper role. That having been said, he should recognize the situation he is in and pass more, which he does well, rather than trying to skate the puck past all the guys on the opposite team.

As a side note, the team needs to play a more physical game. As a whole, our team is not quick enough to be winning puck battles by speed alone. Whenever I see the team play an aggressive backcheck/forecheck game, turnovers are created, which leads to scoring opportunities. Unfortunately, this has been the exception, rather than the rule in the past few years. I have not seen this part of their game change under the new coach...

what i've noticed - and what has been said before - is that kovy is too often ahead of the play and that's why he's in a 1 on 4 situation. if he is with his linemates with defensemen coming in behind him, it opens up for more opportunities. i see him pass plenty to the late coming dman. the problem is that because he draws multiple defenders to him, it makes it that much harder for him to get a pass away. better shooting defensemen would also help.

another thing - when he was in atlanta, he faced an inordinate amount of backup goaltenders as that team was usually terrible. i think triumph pointed this out in the past.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#230 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,929 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

If he has as light reduction in point production (5-10 goals less and 10-15 points less) I wouldn't be unhappy because that means his teammates are scoring as well. No one has mentioned the vast improvement of Kovy's two way game either. Every night I notice him making a good defensive play or two.

Well, that's what happened last year (reduced production) and his team finished dead last in scoring. Kovy scoring/producing less has no correlation to his teammates scoring more.

He was a -28 last season. He did show improvements for a chunk of last season, but I wouldn't call them vast, and what I feared might happen looks it's starting to: take Lemaire, seemingly the one and only coach that could get through to Kovy, out of the equation and the bad habits/dumb decisions start coming back.

I know a lot of Devil fans want to see the silver lining in the worst way when it comes to Kovy (and 100% of us want this to work out...who wouldn't?), especially with the financial commitment made to him, but I don't see how anyone can be happy with his Devil career so far. If he's wearing the red, white and blue across the river and playing the way he's played overall since coming here, we're all laughing at the Rangers for yet another bad contract signing.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 14 October 2011 - 09:50 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#231 Dev.iL87

Dev.iL87

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

Im just finish watching of this match and I must say WOW on Larsson...this kid is really unbelievable, I dont believe it was just his 3rd nhl game.

overall I think it was good game by Devs...Patty and Zach played great and Kings must thank to Quick for one point.

On the other hand Kovy in defensive zone makes me so nervous everytime when he touch the puck :(

Edited by Dev.iL87, 14 October 2011 - 10:00 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

#232 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

thats exactly what i was saying this summer and you gave me sh!t about it, why are they giving those extra shifts to Kovy and not Zach? he played 10 more minutes than Parise tnight ? its been like that when Kovy came in too and im not sure Zach is thrilled about it especially when the other guy is rewarded while playing like sh!t

as 731 explained, it's because kovalchuk can take those double shifts without tiring. i don't like the way kovalchuk's game revolves around the possibility of getting double shifted, though.

re: kovalchuk - yeah he wasn't good last night, he just gets too excited for the possibility of offense. the idea that he will get 65-70 points this year is rather preposterous, though.

Edited by Triumph, 14 October 2011 - 10:51 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#233 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,356 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:58 AM

as 731 explained, it's because kovalchuk can take those double shifts without tiring. i don't like the way kovalchuk's game revolves around the possibility of getting double shifted, though.

re: kovalchuk - yeah he wasn't good last night, he just gets too excited for the possibility of offense. the idea that he will get 65-70 points this year is rather preposterous, though.

hmmm - i'm smelling an over/under at 72.5. thoughts?

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#234 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 01:14 PM

had to work last night so the nhl network and nhl.com highlights are all i got to see. From the little I saw, Parise looked himself, attacking that net. Also, I hear Larsson played another nice game?? makes me tear in joy.... :boogie:

That first line realllly looks like its comin together so far this season. Nice win against a solid team, we gotta continue to win. LGD!! :cheers:

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#235 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

another thing - when he was in atlanta, he faced an inordinate amount of backup goaltenders as that team was usually terrible. i think triumph pointed this out in the past.

So your logic is that since he played on a sh!tty team, that made it easier for him to rack up the points? :boogie: Anyone bored enough to do some research on this? How many players from teams NOT making the payoffs have won the Art Ross/Maurice Richards awards? :D

In Atlanta he had a high end center in Savard, and also help from Heatley. THAT's the difference.

Edited by njdevsftw, 14 October 2011 - 03:46 PM.

Posted Image

#236 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,464 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:49 PM

In Atlanta he had a high end center in Savard, and also help from Heatley. THAT's the difference.

Both were gone by the start of the 2006-07 season.

76,87,91 points without them. The last year with Savard he had his career high of 98, but he still maintained a high level without those two. He hasnt played with Heatley since prior to the lockout. Hell, he had 58 pts through 49 games before being traded here (where he still avgd a point per game).

So no. That is not the difference.

Edited by ghdi, 14 October 2011 - 03:52 PM.

#237 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:08 PM

Both were gone by the start of the 2006-07 season.

76,87,91 points without them. The last year with Savard he had his career high of 98, but he still maintained a high level without those two. He hasnt played with Heatley since prior to the lockout. Hell, he had 58 pts through 49 games before being traded here (where he still avgd a point per game).

So no. That is not the difference.

So you're supporting the "the crappier your team is, the easier you rack up points" theory?

Marián Hossa joined Atlanta when Savard/Heatley departed, racking up 92 (in 80),100 and 56 (in 60) points respectively the next 3 seasons.

Edited by njdevsftw, 14 October 2011 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#238 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

I hope Gomez gets put on waivers and we pick him up. He would be great for Kovy.

#239 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,061 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

So you're supporting the "the crappier your team is, the easier you rack up points" theory?

Marián Hossa joined Atlanta when Savard/Heatley departed, racking up 92 (in 80),100 and 56 (in 60) points respectively the next 3 seasons.

I dispute that, but here's some things that are true about Kovalchuk's tenure in Atlanta:

1: He got tons of power play time, more than he gets here (because Atlanta draws more penalties)
2: He played with decent forwards most years, although the defense was pretty awful in general
3: Atlanta tried to protect him at home, getting him out against easier competition and during offensive zone faceoffs, but it was really hard to do because they were a horrendous team
4: Atlanta faced more backup goalies than most teams (I can't prove this last one, but I suspect it's true based on a study I did last year about Kovalchuk)

The thing that's being overlooked here is that yeah, Kovalchuk had some terrible giveaways. He also got a breakaway chance, made some decent passes, and wasn't a significant negative Fenwick or scoring chance wise.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#240 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:09 PM

I dispute that, but here's some things that are true about Kovalchuk's tenure in Atlanta:

1: He got tons of power play time, more than he gets here (because Atlanta draws more penalties)
2: He played with decent forwards most years, although the defense was pretty awful in general
3: Atlanta tried to protect him at home, getting him out against easier competition and during offensive zone faceoffs, but it was really hard to do because they were a horrendous team
4: Atlanta faced more backup goalies than most teams (I can't prove this last one, but I suspect it's true based on a study I did last year about Kovalchuk)

The thing that's being overlooked here is that yeah, Kovalchuk had some terrible giveaways. He also got a breakaway chance, made some decent passes, and wasn't a significant negative Fenwick or scoring chance wise.

I hope DeBoer stresses this point to Kovy during practice.
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users