#41 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

This is from today's practice:

Devils played "score-won't score" where players line up on either side of the ice to bet on whether a player will score a goal. Losers have to skate sprints back and forth across the ice.

All but a handful of players bet that Kovalchuk would score on Hedberg, but he fanned on his shot. Elias, Sykora, Zubrus, Tallinder were those who correctly thought Kovalchuk would not score.

NJ.com

:whistling:

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

I would like to see more energy from him crashing in on the net with the puck rather than doing his big gliding runs around the back of the net, and I would like to see him get much more aggressive on the forecheck especially down low behind the goal line.

I don't think we'll see this, especially the part about the forecheck. We might see it during important games, but I think Ilya likes to save himself - he tends to take wide angles on players while forechecking, angles that force a player into a certain area, but that rarely force a player to cough up the puck (or that lead to body contact between Ilya and the puck carrier)

Edited by Triumph, 16 October 2011 - 07:33 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:59 PM

If people are still complaining about Kovalchuk after this last game then something is wrong. That was some of the best cycling I seen out of Kovalchuk since he came to NJ. They dominated physically off the draws in the offensive zone as well.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#44 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:10 AM

Isn't it exciting! I still credit Sykora for this. It's just leading by example -- that line leading by example sort of jogging everyone's memory. AND the coaching staff has something to point to that's at least in the ball park! :unsure: or ice rink...

It's just the right direction. That's all I ask - all I want at this point. Just be successful enough to build and retain confidence!

I'm here for the party

#45 brickwall30

brickwall30

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:19 AM

I've always found it wierd that people make a point to say "this is still parise's team" whenever they complain about kovalchuk. Yes, it absolutely IS Parise's team, but that is the only way to have a Kovalchuk type player and be a successful team. Look at the Penguins. Who here would say that they are Malkin's team? It doesn't matter though because he is just there to add scoring. Same goes for Kovalchuk. He's a hired gun, and he plays that role extremely well as shown with his numerous GWG's.

Also, Tri, I agree the benefit of having a superstar player is that you dont have to play him with other top talent to get production out of him, and that is clearly proven by his current line. The thing is when you play a superstar with no good linemates that still forces them to do things themselves which is what everyone seems to be complaining about with Kovalchuk's play. I know it was brief, but remember back to the begining of last season where Kovalchuk was playing on a line with Parise. Those two were making plays back and forth with each other constantly because both of them were confindent that the other wasn't going to botch the play. With his current linemates on the other hand, Kovalchuk dishes the puck to them and often times that the end of the play because they aren't expecting the passes or the passes that kovie makes bounce off their sticks beacuse he passes to hard for them to corral it. Palmieri has a paticular habit of ruining plays when he gets the puck in transition and I think that really affects Kovlachuk's ability to utilize all of his skills.

In my opinion, the difference between the typical "makes players around him better" type of superstar and the Kovalchuk variety superstar is that in those situations where you need to utilize your linemates most(on cycles, give-and-goes, etc) the first type of player (Parise types) will make the plays easier for his linemates making them look better. Kovalchuk on the other hand plays the game at a certain level and never really comes down from there no matter who his linemates are. Linemates with Kovalchuk need to have the same kind of skill set that Kovalchuk has to get that line synergy that makes for the incredible lines because otherwise they just look like disjoined pieces when Kovalchuk rifles unexpected passes at them or makes any of the other unconventional moves that he uses all the time.

long story short Kovalchuk, IMO, is the type of player that makes good linemates better and looks like a one man show with linemates that are "below him" in terms of thinking the game at a high level and playing the game the way he does. Get Kovalchuk some linemates that he trust with the puck and then we can get the huge spike in production we all hope for.

#46 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:55 AM

I've always found it wierd that people make a point to say "this is still parise's team" whenever they complain about kovalchuk.

That's why I choose to interpret the statement as an epiphany for any out of touch poster who continually misinterpret Kovalcuk's role here. "FINALLY you understand - can ya quit bitching now?"

I'm here for the party

#47 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Centers matter, but Kovalchuk can do just fine with Josefson and Palmieri. The reason why you get star players like Kovalchuk is that you don't need to surround him with 4 other great players for him to succeed.

Yup, thats his value to this team right now. giving us goal production and a world class skill set from the 2nd line. Palmieri's and josephson's job is to simply get him the puck. on his first goal of the season they did just that! and despite his holes and flaws I still would pay money to watch him skate!

#48 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:31 AM

He had 32 minutes in Nashville. Thats tons he said he has had that much in Atlanta as well. But Deboer said he won't always get that much which is good to me as well. If he can get all the extra minutes why can't Parise? he is our captain and deserves to be out there just as long.

#49 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:39 PM

He had 32 minutes in Nashville. Thats tons he said he has had that much in Atlanta as well. But Deboer said he won't always get that much which is good to me as well. If he can get all the extra minutes why can't Parise? he is our captain and deserves to be out there just as long.

Even though Parise plays less minutes then Kovalchuk, his minutes are much tougher (he plays on the pk, more aggressive style). Parise would burn out by the end of the season if he played 30 minutes every night, Kovy's style of play allows him to play so long without getting tired.

#50 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:00 PM

Just posted this in the GDT, though it probably shoulda gone here...

Kovalchuk's TOI the past two games:

10/13 vs. LAK - 29:37
10/15 at NSH - 32:04

He's played over 60 minutes in the past two games combined. Right now he's 4th in the league in TOI, and the closest forward to him is Anze Kopitar (ranked 36th).

Posted Image
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#51 devilsadvoc8

devilsadvoc8

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:08 PM

I get the feeling that if Kovy put up 93 goals in a season, some here would complain about his lack of assists or shooting %.

He is an electrifying offensive talent. His addition to the team is part of the transition of the Devils of old to the new NHL. Sure you can say there were better different options out there but that is armchair second guessing. Anyone, who thinks they know that Kovy does or doesn't care is simply making $hit up unless you know him personally.
Official Keeper of the 3 story statue of a hockey player by the artist J. Krawczyk.
That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence- Christopher Hitchens

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

#52 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:13 PM

Kovy averaged around 23 minutes in Atlanta, so 30+ is a lot even for him. Parise should play as much as he is physically able to do, sustainably, over a season. And I'm sure he will. As pointed out above he has a more "high energy" game then IK, so I don't think it's possible for him to play quite as much without his game suffering.
Posted Image

#53 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:48 PM

Well you don't want Kovalchuk to get burnt out by the end of the game either. >30 minutes is a lot, even for his style of play.

#54 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,078 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:06 PM

Kovy averaged around 23 minutes in Atlanta, so 30+ is a lot even for him. Parise should play as much as he is physically able to do, sustainably, over a season. And I'm sure he will. As pointed out above he has a more "high energy" game then IK, so I don't think it's possible for him to play quite as much without his game suffering.

I think a lot of this has to do with Cam being in the lineup for both games. For whatever reason DeBoer has pretty much benched Cam from the 2nd period on in the previous two games, with Kovy taking most of his shifts afterwards. I suspect with some lineup changes Kovy will be back to 25-27

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#55 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

I wonder if Kovy's TOI will replace Marty's GP as the official debate stat of the Devils fanbase.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#56 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

I think a lot of this has to do with Cam being in the lineup for both games. For whatever reason DeBoer has pretty much benched Cam from the 2nd period on in the previous two games, with Kovy taking most of his shifts afterwards. I suspect with some lineup changes Kovy will be back to 25-27

I'm wondering why they don't call Sharky back up. If DeBoer doesn't want to play Cam (and I can see why, even though I like him), he shouldn't be in the line up. Zharkov can play for 3 periods without being a liability, and that allows Kovy to take some shifts off. The dude's a horse, but nobody can play this many minutes for a whole season at forward.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#57 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:36 PM

awwwwww well look at that face lol

Posted Image

www.SterioDesign.com

#58 Blown01NJ

Blown01NJ

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Why is Kovy Chinese
-Putting that bread and butter all over the toast.

#59 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,505 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:52 AM

Why is Kovy Chinese

All Russians are from Asia :rolleyes:

believe-zubrus.jpg

#60 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:56 AM

awwwwww well look at that face lol

Posted Image

That sign says (loosely translated, of course) , "Can still score with this homemade stick"

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users