33 replies to this topic

#21 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

I have no problem with Doc getting honored and all that, but this is the 2nd time along with like you said Dano and Stevens.

We make fun of the Rags for continuously celebrating 1994 by basically retiring half that teams numbers and constantly having celebrations about it 17 years later. I just do not want the Devils to turn into an organization that just keeps celebrating the same moments over and over again.

I see no problem with it.

The last Doc night was to honor his Hall of Fame induction. It was similar to when they honor a player prior to a game for reaching a milestone, like 1,000 games played or whatever.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Now that he's retired, they're honoring all that he's done, not just an individual accomplishment. And don't forget that, after he retired, Daneyko technically had two nights.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#22 twillms73

twillms73

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:28 PM

Doc continues to be an inspiration for my own play-by-play dreams. I hope I can find a way to get to the game. I'd love to see a banner raised for him as well.

Thanks Doc!!!
Tom Willms
IYMSportsRadio.com

#23 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

I cant wait to see Doc shed a tear again. I was there at the last game in his honor. It was a touching moment as a fan. I cant wait to hear his voice commentating a Devils game again.

He is a great man and if you ever get the opportunity to talk to him for 30 seconds dont pass it up. Doc is the definition of class act.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#24 RunninWithTheDevil

RunninWithTheDevil

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 11:30 PM

now lets get in the playoffs so we can hear him call a Dev's game again

Winner of the 2010 UDX Signature Award

NJDEVS.COM KEEPER OF: Brendan Shanahan, Continental Airlines Arena, First game at The Rock, Chuck the Duck, New Goal Horn, Devils' Dancers, Chico Eats, Rock Your Red, Clemmers Shut-out against the Rangers

#25 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:39 AM

doc's the best no doubt, well deserved celebration. just kinda sucks that he got stolen away to call the capitals and penguins games on nbc.
i'm happy with steve... and thank god for chico. i got no complaints we're all getting wiped out 2012 anyhow. enjoy the important things in life.
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#26 peteyvegas

peteyvegas

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:16 AM

On Steve's behalf: He's a good play by play man. But just as the Devils have spoiled us with so many years of greatness, we've also been spoiled with the best announcer in the business. Give Steve some time. Maybe he'll be the next great one. Things like this take time.

#27 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:20 AM

Exactly what I noticed.

He's trying, certainly seems to be trying to improve his play-by-play. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he'll get better over time.

He's got a great role model -- and Doc is there for advise and stuff too. He's REALLY lucky to have Chico too. Chico's kindness is just such a relaxing thing. He's his wacky self with strong opinions -- but he never overpowers anyone and never tries to make someone feel stupid like all the other announcers out there seem to.

For me all the macho announcers ruin everything. They want to feel so smart that you dont even get to follow the game -- you follow THEM bitching and hollering about the game <_< They remind me of the biggest jerkoffs on a message board.

I'm here for the party

#28 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:48 AM

Doc and Mike Miller...my two Devils favorites!

"This is Mike Miller, radio voice of the New Jersey Devils..."

#29 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 11:45 AM

Is Doc going to be calling this game?

#30 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 09:36 PM

Is Doc going to be calling this game?

I would doubt it, but I do think he'll end up talking with chico and steve in the booth at some point during the game

#31 puckrock

puckrock

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:09 AM

I would doubt it, but I do think he'll end up talking with chico and steve in the booth at some point during the game

You never know. It will be Vancouver in town that night, you know VERSUS likes to air a lot of their games. Plus it could potentially be a Brodeur/Luongo matchup. Don't be surprised if this game is a last-minute addition to the VERSUS lineup.
This is my 2012 Playoff signature.

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,689 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

I don't think VERSUS has Friday games during the regular season. Plus Doc's probably doing the NBC game the next day regardless. I think the Devils just want him there as a guest, maybe pop in the booth for a few minutes like someone suggested.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#33 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

Currently this game is scheduled to be on MSG+2.

Now, I fully intend on being there in person, but they best swap us with the Isles that night for those who can't make it. The MSG+2 feed so far has been absolutely terrible, even by it's own low standards.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#34 devlman

devlman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

I love him but Chico is one of the worst color guys in sports. Always rambling over a fight, or right after a goal. He has to be drunk at these games

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users