61 replies to this topic

#1 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:06 PM

While this topic is premature, it feels a lot different this time. He's clearly not the same player he once was. I am beginning to think that this may be his last year with us and maybe the end of his career.

#2 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

done with what? Are you waiting for the can or something? :unsure:

I'm here for the party

#3 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:19 PM

Skill wise? No. Injury wise? Possibly. He is getting injured so much lately that he's not able to get a rhythm going, and this might eventually force him to retire.

#4 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,673 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:22 PM

Skill wise? No. Injury wise? Possibly. He is getting injured so much lately that he's not able to get a rhythm going, and this might eventually force him to retire.

this. people forget that he stood on his head against the flyers and in the first period against the kings. I really hope he can recover because I truly believe he gives us the best chance to win

#5 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

I think he'll keep playing as long as he can perform at what he feels is 100%. If injuries begin to linger and have an impact on his performance to the point where he doesn't feel like he can be at his best anymore, then I think we still start to see him begin considering retirement. That said, I think he will bounce back from this injury just fine. It will likely be a future injury that forces him to call it, as he clearly still has passion for the game and a high competition level.

#6 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

He still gives the Devils great support when he's in net. He's not the goalie he was in 2003-2007, but I don't think his skills have fallen off precipitously. He'll still win us some games we don't deserve to win, but this is no longer a goalie's league.

Giants fans have a saying: "Eli will be fine."

So will Marty.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#7 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

The best scenario to me would be that we could get Rinne somehow and that Marty would retire... i dont think he'd stick around as a backup, so that way he could retire while he was still doing alright instead of waiting that he's playing terrible.

i think if Nashville can't resign rinne that we may have a shot... most teams are set in net so i could only really see NJ, Tampa, Ottawa, Phoenix going for him and mayyybe winnipeg, edmonton, columbus...

www.SterioDesign.com

#8 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:41 PM

i would not be in favor of rinne because it's going to require a bryz like deal and you just shouldn't be doing that in this league anymore.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#9 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:48 PM

i would not be in favor of rinne because it's going to require a bryz like deal and you just shouldn't be doing that in this league anymore.

yeah well of course it depend on the asking price... but i'd be willing to throw 5.5/6m at him at least

we just dont know how and when our kids will be playing and Rinne is by far the best goalie that could be available for the next few years, obviously its a gamble but with Brodeur's salary coming off the book its not that bad

www.SterioDesign.com

#10 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,439 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:52 PM

The more minor injuries he suffers, the more likely it is that he comes back as a worse player. He's not 'done' - his 2nd half was outstanding, especially his March - but it's something to watch out for. It seemed like 10 years ago, Marty would shake off injuries and refuse to come out of the net. Now they persist for a week or two.

I know this - Brodeur can't get a multi-year deal from NJ.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#11 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,241 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

I know this - Brodeur can't get a multi-year deal from NJ.

i don't think there's any chance of that - from anyone. and i don't think marty would even ask for one.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#12 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

I hope, after the career he's had, that Marty has the grace to walk into the sunset and not drag out a painful end like Favre or Modano.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#13 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,439 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:08 PM

I hope, after the career he's had, that Marty has the grace to walk into the sunset and not drag out a painful end like Favre or Modano.

it's different for quarterbacks and goalies than it is for position players - modano would've made a fine 4th line center. bryan trottier won 2 stanley cups doing that (and got to insult brian bellows in the process - warning: totally NSFW). but for QBs and goalies, you're either a starter or a backup. but i am pretty sure that brodeur will not want to be a backup, so it depends on how this season shakes out. right now i think it's going to be a 60/40 type split when he comes back.

Edited by Triumph, 18 October 2011 - 01:09 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#14 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,664 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:27 PM

Marty has said himself that this could very well be his last year. He said during the pre-season that he will decide if he wants to keep playing once the season is over, and if he wants to play, he will then find out if Jersey wants him back. I think he's being very realistic and honest about it. He said himself, this current shoulder problem would have been nothing 10 years ago.

Either way I hope his last game is in NJ and he gets a proper good bye.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#15 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:37 PM

I've been of the opinion for a few years now that Marty will retire at the end of his current contract, which happens to be this season. If these minor injuries keep up, that makes it all the more likely he'll retire rather than shooting for another year (or more).
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#16 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:40 PM

C'mon guys were 3-1 I'm all excited and a thread like this pops up :/

#17 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

(and got to insult brian bellows in the process - warning: totally NSFW).

I looked at this bit and was wondering what this guy had to do with hockey...

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=62DcHEyNcaU

But I don't think Marty will insist on hanging around if he isn't on his game. I don't think that's in his personality. He's a living legend, I don't think he'd want that 'stayed too long' hanging over him in retirement. I could be wrong, just my take on it.

Edited by jim777, 18 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#18 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:19 PM

I would sign Hedberg as co #1 next year before Brodeur. I really hope Kinkaid has a great season and is fast tracked to the NHL. If he isn't close to ready then europe for a 1 year deal or trade.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#19 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:11 PM

As you know I dislike Marty Brodeur but I will say that he played a terrific game against the Flyers and the first period against the Kings. He played much better than I thought he would. These injuries are taking there toll on him. His aging process is taking a tool on him. He isn't what he was but still good enough until the Devils develop a strong offense and then they can go with a weaker cheaper goalie. Marty is a legion in his own mind and will never quit. I only hope he is smart enough to go out on top. Hedberg is awesome for the Devils, I would ride him as far as I could. Let Marty bench warm and heal and play backup. Marty you back up the Moose and take over in the last 3rd of the season. Then going into the playoffs we will have some strong goaltending from both, something we haven't had since 2005 in the playoffs.

Don't you like the "I'm OK" from Marty but he doesn't practice and Lou says "Status Quo" re: his injury.

Lets Go Moose.

Edited by LucifersDog, 18 October 2011 - 04:19 PM.

#20 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,396 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

what's so insulting about being a tit fvcker? :rofl:

I was of course talking about that link above... it wasn't just one of my random crudities :unsure:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 18 October 2011 - 04:52 PM.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users