#1 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,021 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:13 PM

http://blogs.northje...il_colin_white/

“The weather is great,” White said, laughing. “It’s different. Hockey is big there. (The Sharks have) great crowds, sold out.

#2 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:15 PM

I feel like I've seen this movie before.

#3 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

I feel like I've seen this movie before.

Yep, and the next scene involves over-reacting Devils fans.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#4 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,157 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

Yep, and the next scene involves over-reacting Devils fans.

You're suppose to use spoiler tags so you don't give away the ending!

#5 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:24 PM

You're suppose to use spoiler tags so you don't give away the ending!

Doh!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Some people won't be happy with Whitey's comments.

END SPOILER
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#6 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

Doh!!

SPOILER ALERT!!!

Some people won't be happy with Whitey's comments.

END SPOILER

People have a right to take whatever he says at face value. He wouldn't be the first or last player that has made that sort of comment after leaving this team. I'd have to say that some of the welcome he might have gotten and deserved otherwise might be diluted now if enough people read it and take it wrong.

This is an area that hockey is overshadowed by other sports with larger followings and media coverage, not to mention hockey's "place" in the big picture here. Rex Ryan's weight and Eli Manning's hangnail is more back page fodder then a big Devils win. The Rangers suffer from this to an extent as well. Some players just don't seem to understand that and when they go to "hotbeds" or places with not alot other to follow otherwise, they act all surprised. Maybe they and we should expect more out of this area, the largest in the country, but it is what it is.

The Sharks players should be ass kissing their fans, after the choke-fests they put them through each playoff.

Edited by SJP20, 20 October 2011 - 03:36 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#7 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:34 PM

Are they a big hockey town for real?

I'm here for the party

#8 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:38 PM

Are they a big hockey town for real?

Yes, the Sharks have a fantastic fan base.

#9 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

why?

I'm here for the party

#10 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,617 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

why?

Why not? :noclue:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#11 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

I didn't read it that way at all. He was basically saying he was surprised hockey was that big in California.

#12 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,761 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

yawn. i agree with mxm282, it wasn't intended as a slight. but yeah, the sharks are huge, in part because they're the only game in town, and they've been successful. let's see how well the sharks do when there's another hockey team 8 miles away.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#13 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,604 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

I didn't read it that way at all. He was basically saying he was surprised hockey was that big in California.

that's kind of how I took it. i didn't take it as a swip[ at the Devs, their fans, or anything else. More surprise that sunny California likes what is essentially THE winter sport.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#14 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:12 PM

I am almost positive that wasn't meant as a slight. I think he was genuinely surprised how big the fanbase is there. It isn't like he has made that many trips over there during the year.

Secondly, is it shocking if players like being the hottest ticket in town or play in a place where it is sold out every night compared to 4000 empty seats a night. No. And White doesn't have a beef with the fans anyway.

If John Madden said after the 2010 Cup win that, "this is incredible, the best celebration I have ever been a part of. Would that be a slight? Or that he thinks 2 million people coming out is cooler than 25,000." Isn't that what Rafalski said, and he got killed here.

This is a non-story and not a shot at anyone.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#15 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,067 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:14 PM

I don't think it was a slight so I am not upset.

But then again I never though much of him.

Seems like he is happy and I am happy he is off the team so everyone is happy:)

#16 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,428 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:42 PM

Doesn't matter, there'd be some airheads that would boo him anyway, forgetting he basically got fired. :lol:

#17 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:07 PM

Yeah - that's what I'm saying. :lol:

I'm here for the party

#18 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:10 PM

it is infinitely better fan base just for the fact that neil young supports them and devilsfansinla doesn't like them.

#19 halfsharkalligatorhalfman

halfsharkalligatorhalfman

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

I spend a lot of time in the bay area. Sharks are very popular, they are the only hockey team in the bay area (includes San Francisco and Oakland) and the only sports team in San Jose (a large city, according to wikipedia the 10th most populous in the U.S.). And of course they've put out a great team for almost 10 years now. Their arena is smaller and easier to fill, but still it's been a great hockey crowd every time I've gone to a game.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman, 20 October 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Devils Fan: 1994-2012
Sharks Fan: 2012-?
Posted Image

#20 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 05:27 PM

it is infinitely better fan base just for the fact that neil young supports them and devilsfansinla doesn't like them.

For the record, I have no issue with SJ, nor ever had.
They have the support because they are the only team in town and have had some regular season success for the past 8 years or so.
Plus they are not hesitant with spending $$$ in payroll.

..... so glad you've come back here to offer us your lower case, one-liner, wisdom topped off with a side of political stereotyping
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users