119 replies to this topic

#101 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

They're not a sure thing 100 point team. (Not that this means anything anymore anyway) They're also not a sure thing playoff team. I think people smoke up a whole bunch of happy crack in the offseason and think the team is just going to be incredibly awesome... just because. It happens with every team.

They lost an ambush game after they got totally worked the night before. Big surprise. It doesn't look that awful on paper.

almost no one is a sure thing playoff team anymore. that's the thing to take away from all of this. you shoot 6% at even strength for half a season (or get .900 SV% goaltending) and unless your PP or PK is really crushing it, you're going to be on the playoff bubble. we've seen it happen to pittsburgh, boston, detroit, chicago, washington, san jose, and philadelphia over the last 3 years, and those (along with vancouver, who i don't think it's happened to) have been pretty much the best teams in the NHL. some of those teams pulled it together at the halfway mark and ended up winning their division or coming close, and some of those teams shambled all the way into the postseason.

who are the weak teams in the league? who's going to win less than 30 games this year? someone will surely, but there won't be many teams who do.

Edited by Triumph, 23 October 2011 - 12:16 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#102 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:07 AM

I purposefully avoided the boards last night, and definitely won't be reading the rest of this GDT, but I hope things didn't get too dark here.

Early in the season, without your top 2 centers with a tired goaltender? I didn't expect much last night to begin with

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#103 2L3MI3UX2

2L3MI3UX2

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

I counted at least 8 "Sharp angle shots/tries"

I can't take it. like 2 of the shots were Sharp Angle.

STOP CANGY!

#104 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

I think defensive combinations will be adjusted for next game. We can't keep putting Salvador and Volcehnkov out there, not only are they a negative pit but whatever forward crew is with them gets dragged down. Fayne doesn't seem able to face the hard minutes so far this year as well.

Tallinder - Volchenkov
Greene - Larsson
Fraser - Fayne

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 23 October 2011 - 12:12 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#105 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:27 PM

I counted at least 8 "Sharp angle shots/tries"

I can't take it. like 2 of the shots were Sharp Angle.

STOP CANGY!

+1

There should be a petition

#106 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:32 PM

+1

There should be a petition

Try watching the pens telecast.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#107 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,488 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

I think Greene has been our most steady defenseman so far this season. I haven't noticed him much in a good way this season.

#108 mxm262

mxm262

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:00 PM

I've watched enough Flyers telecasts to know we have it pretty good. I don't mind Cangy, it's just this one little thing.

#109 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,526 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

I thank Satan every day that we don't have the Red Wings radio guys who screeches like a little girl EVERY goal.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#110 Chimaira_Devil_#9

Chimaira_Devil_#9

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,200 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:21 PM

Last night go so horrific i turned the sound off and just had Van Helsing on in the background.

They are just rediculous on every level. They make a call on a play and if that call turns out to be wrong they try and blame the oposition player for making them get the call wrong. The Clarkson penalty last night was a perfect example!

OFFICIAL KEEPER OF:Dainius Zubrus......Andy Greene.......Vladimir Zharkov and Alexander Vasyunov

Posted Image

Winner of the 07/08 ,08/09 & 10/11 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster

#111 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:05 PM

Did you hear that assclown Errey sh!tting on Kovy the whole game? Also, one of their other commentators kept comparing Jordan Staal to Mario Lemieux and was salivating over James Neal. Awful

#112 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

Did you hear that assclown Errey sh!tting on Kovy the whole game? Also, one of their other commentators kept comparing Jordan Staal to Mario Lemieux and was salivating over James Neal. Awful

Absolutely, talking about how bad he thought Kovy was. He was saying something about how "that's the type of player who is going to hear it from his coach and won't get as much ice time", or something like that. Errey is the worst. Can't forget about James Neal, the hottest player in the NHL either. :rolleyes:

#113 American_Psycho

American_Psycho

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:44 PM

Errey is still bitter from '95. And is just a dick in general.

Steggy misses Sid too much. And the Penguins never make mistakes, apparently.

But, wow, they were both terrible last night.

#114 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,927 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

Absolutely, talking about how bad he thought Kovy was. He was saying something about how "that's the type of player who is going to hear it from his coach and won't get as much ice time", or something like that. Errey is the worst. Can't forget about James Neal, the hottest player in the NHL either. :rolleyes:

He said, "you dont win with players like Kovalchuk". I think he forgot to mention, that you cant win without tanking....

#115 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:05 PM

Ugh I couldnt stand them. i had to mute the tv feed and listen to the broadcast over the Devs site.

#116 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:53 PM

just seemed to me that the defense blew this game. a couple of very costly turnovers and bad plays blew this game open

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#117 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,937 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:02 PM

Cue Triumph telling us the Devils are still a good team and the offense doesn't stink. Now we'll see how we do against LA when they're not gassed from travel.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing last night. Maybe they surprise us, but I'm not seein' it. They don't score and that's nothing new.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#118 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

well let's see, NJ's defensemen have 48 shots and 1 goal, that's sustainable. even last year that didn't happen.

i didn't see either game this weekend. the power play is starting out rather awful, i'd like to see anton stralman signed and to get in some games, but i'm not sure that's in the cards. but yeah, the offense will score 5 in one of these games and you will all forget about your complaints for a week.

Edited by Triumph, 23 October 2011 - 08:17 PM.

#119 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,937 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:02 AM

well let's see, NJ's defensemen have 48 shots and 1 goal, that's sustainable. even last year that didn't happen.

i didn't see either game this weekend. the power play is starting out rather awful, i'd like to see anton stralman signed and to get in some games, but i'm not sure that's in the cards. but yeah, the offense will score 5 in one of these games and you will all forget about your complaints for a week.

Maybe that kind of production isn't sustainable, but the Devils' D has had issues scoring goals for some time now. Another problem that isn't going away.

You can't really say much about either game if you didn't watch them.

As for the offense scoring five...sure, it will happen one of these days, even last year's team managed the feat more than a few times. Doesn't mean my concerns are going to go away once the Devils pull it off.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#120 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,067 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 08:43 AM

Maybe that kind of production isn't sustainable, but the Devils' D has had issues scoring goals for some time now. Another problem that isn't going away.

sure but like i keep saying this is a different group of defensemen. none of them are al macinnis, but this group should score more goals than last year's group.

You can't really say much about either game if you didn't watch them.

have i said anything about either game? not really.

As for the offense scoring five...sure, it will happen one of these days, even last year's team managed the feat more than a few times. Doesn't mean my concerns are going to go away once the Devils pull it off.

the power play definitely has to get better, and if that doesn't happen, yeah, total offense is going to be near the bottom of the league once again. but guys like sykora and palmieri are going to start scoring.

Edited by Triumph, 24 October 2011 - 08:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users