70 replies to this topic

#1 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

Theres a rumor that we made an offer for Turris.

Source: Coyotes have 3more offers 4 Turris (Isles/Devils/Senators) all involved

http://twitter.com/#!/incarceratedbob/status/128151341989249024

Its from IncarceratedBob (WFAN) who is no Єklund (2.3% accurate) thats for sure.

Edited by ghdi, 23 October 2011 - 05:07 PM.

#2 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Theres a rumor that we made an offer for Turris.

http://twitter.com/#!/incarceratedbob/status/128151341989249024

Its from IncarceratedBob (WFAN) who is no Єklund (2.3% accurate) thats for sure.

He's actually pretty accurate or at least pulls credible sources. I approve of this rumor posting [Not like it matters, lol]

We do need a center, but I know many here have voiced concern over his contract dispute and his attitude.

I say go for it Lou, pending on the price.

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#3 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:02 PM

Ya the source is why I posted it. Whether or not we acquire him is another story.

#4 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:04 PM

Try Henrique with Kovalchuk, their tempo is similar. If Turris can be had for a cheap package surrounding Merrill I say do it.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#5 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:08 PM

Try Henrique with Kovalchuk, their tempo is similar. If Turris can be had for a cheap package surrounding Merrill I say do it.

Done with Merrill and his shenanigans?

I agree with giving Henrique a chance for now, but at least keep our hat in the ring. We cannot afford for Lou to have a slow trigger finger like last year.

#6 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,344 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

Do we even know what his shenanigans were? Im not ready to give up on Merril whatsoever.

I hope just Lou isnt dumb enough to offer a first. Theres very few players Id be against hearing an offer for.

#7 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,899 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

the problem with turris is that he's been extremely protected by the coyotes - there's no guarantee that he's even a capable NHL player at this juncture.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#8 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:30 PM

the problem with turris is that he's been extremely protected by the coyotes - there's no guarantee that he's even a capable NHL player at this juncture.

I would say he is a better version of Adam Henrique at center right now. He is fast energetic and gets shots on goal. We can't continue to play non-natural centers at center in key situations. Against good teams Elias and Zubrus will get torched in their own end. I fully agree what your saying but sometimes you need to have faith in coaching.

#9 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Given our current situation and depending on the price I would not mind this trade now. Like others have said his attitude does concern me but out of all the teams in the league phoenix is one of the few where our environment is more stable and welcoming to a player than theirs.

#10 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Then he'll fit right in with our forwards.

Edited by Risky, 23 October 2011 - 12:36 PM.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,899 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

I would say he is a better version of Adam Henrique at center right now. He is fast energetic and gets shots on goal. We can't continue to play non-natural centers at center in key situations. Against good teams Elias and Zubrus will get torched in their own end. I fully agree what your saying but sometimes you need to have faith in coaching.

that's insane. zubrus and elias are way better than kyle turris. who cares if they are or are not 'natural centers', they've both spent more time at center in the NHL than turris. like i said, turris is a weak minutes center who has struggled with even that. i think henrique could be better than him right now.

#12 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

that's insane. zubrus and elias are way better than kyle turris. who cares if they are or are not 'natural centers', they've both spent more time at center in the NHL than turris. like i said, turris is a weak minutes center who has struggled with even that. i think henrique could be better than him right now.

Henrique is almost certainly not better then Turris. Turris was 21 last year, younger players usually progress from season to season. In the playoffs he was one of the few to post a positive CORSI against a very good Detroit team regardless of circumstances. I don't know if Turris is a full time solution at center or if he is better on the wing. That will be for Deboer to figure out but he certainly didn't look out of place in the playoffs.

Elias has done a poor job with Parise so far this season, the faster Zajac gets healthy the faster Elias gets moved down the depth charts. Zubrus is a winger and should stay a winger.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 23 October 2011 - 12:57 PM.

#13 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,436 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:03 PM

I would argue Elias at center has been the most effective Devil this season. Elias is a center, he plays his best there and plays at a high level there as well
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#14 Devs4LIFE

Devs4LIFE

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

I say go for it if the asking price is low enough, worst case scenario is that when Zajac and/or Josefson are back we move Turris to RW.
Posted Image

#15 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,899 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Henrique is almost certainly not better then Turris. Turris was 21 last year, younger players usually progress from season to season. In the playoffs he was one of the few to post a positive CORSI against a very good Detroit team regardless of circumstances. I don't know if Turris is a full time solution at center or if he is better on the wing. That will be for Deboer to figure out but he certainly didn't look out of place in the playoffs.

Turris barely played last year. The only regular who got less ice time per game was Bissonnette.

Elias has done a poor job with Parise so far this season, the faster Zajac gets healthy the faster Elias gets moved down the depth charts. Zubrus is a winger and should stay a winger.

Elias is probably equal to or better than Zajac.

#16 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

Not to pull an Єklund (2.3% accurate), but I got a weird feeling we pulled the trigger on this one and it'll come down by tonight.

I have ZERO sources other than my gut [E3] but I did have the same weird feeling right before the Kovy trade went down.

It could also be gas [E2]

#17 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 01:47 PM

I can't see how LL pulls the trigger on anything without giving Henrique a fair shot. You've got to give the kid a chance and he'll get good games on the road coming up. To simply make a move right now and sarcrifice a player in return without knowing what Henrique can do is not a prudent move.

I do feel pieces will have to be added in the future, but not now. I don't think Lou is going to sit idle if this team has problems again. The coach is not going to be the one going.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#18 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

The one question people need to ask themselves is, why would Phoenix take on Merrill. Their have very good defensive prospects. I could see something around Tedenby for Turris

#19 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 22,667 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 03:27 PM

Done with Merrill and his shenanigans?

That wouldn't surprise me somewhere down the road lol (and then we can debate whether Lou traded him because of it or just he had a specific need the other team insisted on Merrill), but at least Merrill's staying in college and that rumor of him going to juniors was false.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#20 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,306 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

Turris barely played last year. The only regular who got less ice time per game was Bissonnette.

Elias is probably equal to or better than Zajac.

At this stage I fully expect Zajac to be the better player this year, Elias isn't exactly young plus he has had a rough start playing with our best player.

Turris's development was partially destroyed by the Phoenix organization, they rushed him out of college for very little ice time. At 21 if he wasn't going to get top 9 minutes he should have been in the AHL.

The one question people need to ask themselves is, why would Phoenix take on Merrill. Their have very good defensive prospects. I could see something around Tedenby for Turris

I think a Tedenby or Henrique package is what they would ask for.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users