Photo

Will we get a veteran center? If so, who?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:56 PM

Lamoriello indicated he would investigate the possibility of making a trade for a veteran center.

"We'll certainly look to see what can be done, by all means, but right now the team is what it is," Lamoriello said.

"You're always trying to get better but you have to subtract in order to add a player. Henrique will get a chance right now."

NJ.com

So who will it be? Which veteran center will be coming to NJ and how will it be done?

Edited by Quinn01, 23 October 2011 - 07:41 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#2 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

That's a good question. We're without a true center for at least the next 1.5 months and our 2nd center for 3-4 months. We need a true center coming in and soon...not wingers playing center.

Also another thing to discuss along with this. Does this mean other teams KNOW Lou is at a disadvantage NEEDING a center and price may be too high?

1dun.jpg

#3 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,123 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:01 PM

Also another thing to discuss along with this. Does this mean other teams KNOW Lou is at a disadvantage NEEDING a center and price may be too high?

no, i would not say that. a veteran like Lou wont overpay anything and im sure the owners around the League know that they wont be able to just simply take advantage of him. All Lou basically said is that he will look around- not that we're desperate

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#4 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

My thoughts are that because Lou slipped in the whole "Subtract to add" thing leads me to believe that he will be looking to trade for a center. *Obviously*. For the sake of argument, how much money is there to toss out at a center without having to make a trade?

Posted Image
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#5 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,684 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:23 PM

Sami Pahllson.

However, here's the problem.

What do you give up?

I'm not sold any move made now will be for the best. Let this season take its course, unless some trade comes along that makes perfect sense.

#6 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

You should change the title, it's not a fact we're making a deal yet and the title makes it sound like we already have done a deal.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#7 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,333 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

Actually...the title makes it sound more like we have a pet hospital coming to Jersey. Just saying LOL

You should change the title, it's not a fact we're making a deal yet and the title makes it sound like we already have done a deal.

1dun.jpg

#8 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:30 PM

it's a quinn01 thread, apparently he doesn't realize that lou was quoted saying exactly what he always says.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#9 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:38 PM

it's a quinn01 thread, apparently he doesn't realize that lou was quoted saying exactly what he always says.

No, I get that he always says the same thing, however Henrique will not be taking the work load of both Zajac and Josefson now, and neither will Zubrus. Everyone knows that something is going to happen and if you disagree your a dinkus.

Posted Image

#10 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,176 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

we were not even sure josefson could have done the job... And he was the best option within the organization... I think its obvious that we might need help.. But id still wait to see what henrique can do with kovy

www.SterioDesign.com

#11 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,928 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

No, I get that he always says the same thing, however Henrique will not be taking the work load of both Zajac and Josefson now, and neither will Zubrus. Everyone knows that something is going to happen and if you disagree your a dinkus.

oh okay, well you know everything. lou should ask you who we're going to get.

the problem with making a deal is that that guy doesn't magically disappear when zajac and josefson come back. plus lou's dealing from a position of weakness at a time in the season where teams typically aren't looking to make deals. that's not saying a deal won't happen, but i don't think if it does that it will happen right away.

Edited by Triumph, 23 October 2011 - 07:49 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#12 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:51 PM

what about getting kyle wellwood on the cheap from the jets?

#13 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:18 PM

Sign canadian Mike Iggulden from the swedish elite league. :D
Posted Image

#14 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

Sami Pahllson.

However, here's the problem.

What do you give up?

I'm not sold any move made now will be for the best. Let this season take its course, unless some trade comes along that makes perfect sense.

Sami Pahlsson is a great John Madden-like checking center, but he wouldn't make much sense on the second line.
I know some are speaking of Henrique as the replacement for Josefson, but Josefson was pretty defensively adept and I don't think Henru=iqe has that going for him.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#15 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,867 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:45 PM

why do I feel John Madden is on the way?
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#16 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

I certainly hope Madden isn't coming, although I suppose I could see it happening. But what would he bring to the team that we need right now?

#17 RizzMB30

RizzMB30

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 902 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

why do I feel John Madden is on the way?

John Madden isn't exactly a 2nd line center. Idek if he's on the 3rd line whereever he's at now. I don't really want to see a trade...Play Zubrus on the 2nd line as a center with Kovy and NaPalm. Parise-Elias-Sykie. We can survive with that top 6 i think. If we lose another foward in our top 6, then i think it might be a time for a trade

This fan will never forget Scott Stevens.

believe-ll.jpgbelieve-devs.jpg

#18 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,717 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

The funny thing is people were killing Lou last year for dealing Langenbrunner in January when we were clearly out of it because it wasn't close enough to the trade deadline, now this year we expect teams to sell in October? :lol:
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#19 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,624 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:59 PM

John Madden isn't exactly a 2nd line center. Idek if he's on the 3rd line whereever he's at now. I don't really want to see a trade...Play Zubrus on the 2nd line as a center with Kovy and NaPalm. Parise-Elias-Sykie. We can survive with that top 6 i think. If we lose another foward in our top 6, then i think it might be a time for a trade

Right now Madden's nowhere. He was last seen trying out for the AHL's Chicago Wolves, but he didn't sign a contract.

EDIT: The Wild had him for $1 million last year. If he's willing to play here for that (or less), I see no harm in bringing him in.

Edited by RowdyFan42, 23 October 2011 - 10:02 PM.

Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#20 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,341 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:05 PM

last year no one wanted sykora to try out and now this year he made the team, most of you seem to welcome him

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users