60 replies to this topic

#21 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:30 PM

so true...being a high draft pick is worth nothing if you stink at the nhl lvl no matter how many jobs are on the line you succeed and zach was a steal

ask hugh jessiman lol
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#22 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:30 PM

As per TG:
"Right wing Steve Bernier has joined the team after agreeing to a two-way contract for the NHL minimum of $525,000. He had previously been on an AHL contract with Albany for $105,000. That will continue to be the AHL salary on Bernier’s contract."

Hmm ... I like this move for a third or fourth line player RW.He is now with the big club on a line with JJ and Poni. Looks like Henrique will not be in the line up.
Parise-Zubrus-Kovy
Sykora-Elias-Clarkson
Poni-JJ-Bernier
Boulton-Carter-Mills

Edited by Anhkheg, 30 January 2012 - 02:46 PM.

#23 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

So stink in the preseason, do not much in the AHL, and....profit?

Bernier better be way more physical than he was in the preseason.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#24 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 11,955 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:41 PM

#freezharkov

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#25 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:21 PM

If Bernier plays well this may put a slight dagger in Janssen's playing time.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 30 January 2012 - 03:22 PM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#26 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

#freezharkov

#27 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:39 PM

#freezharkov

Seriously the guy is producing and is getting passed over for scrubs like sestito and bernier

#28 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:48 PM

I really hope there are plans for him to have a permanent spot next year in NJ. (Zharkov)

And I seriously think that losing him on waivers is keeping NJ from bringing him up. He'll probably need to be in a place where he'll stay if he's ever going to play in New Jersey again. That is, if I have the waiver rules right which I likely don't.

#29 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:44 PM

Those of you who aren't happy about this are crazy. When we have a healthy lineup, Bernier is as good a 4th line RW as you'll find in the NHL. He's only 26 and he's shown he's capable of putting up a fair number of goals and assists in this league. For $550k, you'll never find a better bottom-3 guy.

I really hope there are plans for him to have a permanent spot next year in NJ. (Zharkov)

And I seriously think that losing him on waivers is keeping NJ from bringing him up. He'll probably need to be in a place where he'll stay if he's ever going to play in New Jersey again. That is, if I have the waiver rules right which I likely don't.

As of now, he doesn't have to clear waivers.

Edited by Amberite, 30 January 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#30 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,000 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:49 PM

DeBoer wants size on his fourth line, that's why Zharkov hasn't been a thought. People do make too much of a big deal over a guy with two goals in 80 NHL games, but he would at least contribute more than most of the dreck we've been playing five minutes a night.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#31 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Those of you who aren't happy about this are crazy. When we have a healthy lineup, Bernier is as good a 4th line RW as you'll find in the NHL. He's only 26 and he's shown he's capable of putting up a fair number of goals and assists in this league. For $550k, you'll never find a better bottom-3 guy.

If its so slam dunk that he's a great 4th line guy then why did he have trouble even getting invited to an NHL training camp? Then, once invited, he failed to win an NHL contract due to not playing well.

I think Bernier has recently shown he is capable of not putting up goals or assists due to his capability of not having his effort show up.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,000 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:52 PM

Bernier has six points in 17 AHL games. If he was a 'proven' NHL guy he would have gotten an NHL contract in the offseason.

He'd better be worth it cause now we're maxed out at 50 contracts. If Lou wants to make a deal at the deadline, he's got to trade a guy to do it.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#33 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:07 PM

Bernier is a proven NHL guy and is immediately better than Janssen, Mills, or Boulton.

I also don't think that disposing of a contract will be that hard if it comes to that, and I'm not sure it will - I think this could be the last move.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#34 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Lets hope Tedenby will be ready for the 3rd line after 30 games in AHL to get his confidence back.

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk
Sykora-Elias-Zubrus
Tedenby-Zajac-Clarkson
Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Bernier

That is a playoff group up front.

#35 grcenter47

grcenter47

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:17 PM

Everyones got a price!

Posted Image

#36 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:41 PM

Lets hope Tedenby will be ready for the 3rd line after 30 games in AHL to get his confidence back.

Parise-Henrique-Kovalchuk
Sykora-Elias-Zubrus
Tedenby-Zajac-Clarkson
Ponikarovsky-Josefson-Bernier

That is a playoff group up front.

Assuming zajac and henrique get back

#37 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,360 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:42 PM

Assuming zajac and henrique get back

Why wouldn't they, the playoffs are 2 months away. This is if NJ makes the playoffs.

#38 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:47 PM

Why wouldn't they, the playoffs are 2 months away. This is if NJ makes the playoffs.

The way Lou makes it sound, zajac isn't that close. And you know how groin injuries are

#39 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:09 PM

Zajac ain't coming back unless there's a playoff spot.

#40 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 08:15 PM

Bernier has six points in 17 AHL games. If he was a 'proven' NHL guy he would have gotten an NHL contract in the offseason.

He'd better be worth it cause now we're maxed out at 50 contracts. If Lou wants to make a deal at the deadline, he's got to trade a guy to do it.

Take a look at Bernier's stats. He's been in 385 NHL games and has 159 points in that span. If that isn't a proven NHL player, I don't know what is. Show me any 4th line player in the NHL who has those kinds of stats and is 26. Maybe there are 1 or 2 that are not coming to me off the top of my head, but it doesn't matter. The point is that Bernier instantly makes the 4th line much better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users