#1 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:27 PM

http://www.nj.com/de..._unselfish.html

Read the article. I think there are some subconscious jabs at Kovy by both Lou and Patty Elias here (IMO). I could be overblowing or reading into it a bit.

Anyways, enjoy discussing.

#2 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

You're reading into it too much. Could be about anyone.

#3 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,276 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Well there's only one or two guys on the team that can win a scoring title and that got referenced :lol:

It's easy to pin everything on Kovy but I think if anything a lot of his 'selfishness' comes from caring too much, trying to do everything by himself. There probably is truth to that criticism, though not in the way it gets perceived by the Kovy haters.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 28 October 2011 - 04:41 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#4 soulartist23

soulartist23

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 131 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 04:43 PM

Could be one guy. Could be the whole locker room. Could simply be Lou and Elias making a statement to the whole team that everybody needs to put individuality aside and become one machine. All I read into the article is that the team hasn't completely cast aside doing things individuality yet. You see our third line and how they've played lately. They seem to get what Lou and Elias are saying above the rest of the team right now. Same with the fourth line.
"You have to have fun, or you will be eaten alive by the pressure" -Scott Stevens
Posted Image in next season.

#5 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:23 PM

if anything Kovy could be WAY MORE selfish in the offensive zone

www.SterioDesign.com

#6 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:25 PM

Hes the first person that came to my mind when I read "unselfish"

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#7 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:34 PM

Lou brought in Kovy. He knows what Kovy is. We can't expect him not to be what Kovy is.

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,887 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:17 PM

Read the article. I think there are some subconscious jabs at Kovy by both Lou and Patty Elias here (IMO). I could be overblowing or reading into it a bit.

.... :blink:

Hes the first person that came to my mind when I read "unselfish"

What they said. Kovy always (almost to a FAULT) looks for a pass when he breaks into the zone. He doesn't pull an Ovy and try the 1-v-1 move for the sexy highlight goal.

Do people actually watch the game, or just know OF Kovalchuk, this supremely offensively gifted player and assume he's a selfish jackass? And that everyone else on the team MUST resent him? For fvcks sake people...

/rant

Edited by Devilsfan118, 28 October 2011 - 06:27 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#9 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:38 PM

.... :blink:

What they said. Kovy always (almost to a FAULT) looks for a pass when he breaks into the zone. He doesn't pull an Ovy and try the 1-v-1 move for the sexy highlight goal.

Do people actually watch the game, or just know OF Kovalchuk, this supremely offensively gifted player and assume he's a selfish jackass? And that everyone else on the team MUST resent him? For fvcks sake people...

/rant

I do think he tries to do a little to much from time to time but he is trying Ill give him that. Live I have previously said, he isnt known for being a play maker, he is known for having a deadly shot. If you have a player that can set him up, your golden.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#10 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

my main beef with kovy is that he consistently tries to skate the puck up the whole length of the ice.

#11 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:46 PM

this is way more complicated then "kovi" and i don't know if it will ever have meaning...that will depend on many characters taking different messages from the same story and creating something greater then expected

or :blahblah:
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#12 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:11 PM

He doesn't pull an Ovy and try the 1-v-1 move for the sexy highlight goal.

You're right. He does the 1-v-3 move for the sexy giveaway.
Devils.

#13 vadvlfan

vadvlfan

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:23 AM

I do think he tries to do a little to much from time to time but he is trying Ill give him that. Live I have previously said, he isnt known for being a play maker, he is known for having a deadly shot. If you have a player that can set him up, your golden.

if he didn't, we would all say what did we bring him in for? he's damned both ways. when we get zajac back, and get him (the correct-maybe napalm) right winger to balence it out.

"Never make someone a priority when all you are to them is an option" - M.A.

#14 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 01:33 PM

You're right. He does the 1-v-3 move for the sexy giveaway.

yep, he leads the league in giveaways.

#15 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 02:33 PM

yep, he leads the league in giveaways.

wayne gretzky led the league in giveaways too, fyi

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#16 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,442 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 03:55 PM

Your point being?

With Gretzky, it's kind of allowed when you're the best player ever to play in the NHL.

Kovy's not even the best player on his own team.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#17 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:03 PM

That's because Gretzky always had the puck and always creating something. There's a difference in a player looking to create then a player selfishly trying to beat a team 1 on 3 or a player blindly throwing it around like a hot potato.

Edited by SJP20, 29 October 2011 - 04:14 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#18 titans04

titans04

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

outstanding. Gretzky actually won stuff on the ice, he wasn't a paper champ which seems to matter most in your book.

17 has no business being compared to 99

Edited by titans04, 29 October 2011 - 04:17 PM.

#19 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

outstanding. Gretzky actually won stuff on the ice, he wasn't a paper champ which seems to matter most in your book.

17 has no business being compared to 99

ok but this article is not directed at kovi
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#20 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,622 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:24 PM

i don't even think giveaways are a meaningful stat because of scorer bias. my point is that kovalchuk being a leader in giveaways means he gets the puck a lot. i wouldn't be surprised if kovalchuk has the puck more often than anyone in the league.

Edited by Triumph, 29 October 2011 - 04:28 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users