9 replies to this topic

#1 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

OK I think I need some help with my computer. For a while when I got to google search, sometimes (not always) when I click the link to a result I get redirected to the google homepage. I did a little searching about it and I may have some spyware or something (not sure the proper term). I have run a Spybot Search and destroy and cleaned that up. Now I can do a HiJack This log but have no idea what to do with the log once I have it. Can anyone here help me?

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

GO SENS GO!!!Posted ImageGO SENSGO!!!

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#2 nj96

nj96

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 09:09 AM

I had something similar but it would open a popup every 5th time (or so) I would use google. Try using malwarebytes to see if there's anything kicking around.

Good hunting!

#3 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 12:56 PM

Hey. Network-Admin here. Copy and Paste your log here for me buddy. I'll help ya out.
Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#4 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,616 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

A Hijack This log basically shows what you've got installed and running on your system and is used to help spot any suspicious processes.

If the Spybot scan took care of the problem, no need to do anything else. Otherwise, I second nj96's suggestion of MalwareBytes. Also, believe it or not, Microsoft Security Essentials does a great job of protecting against viruses and spyware.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#5 Scottie2Hottie

Scottie2Hottie

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

Avast! is great for its boot scan. Scanning the computer before a process has a chance to start up and "Defend" itself is a great tool.
Posted Image Deb Placey (unofficial)
Posted Image

#6 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Thanks guys I will try your suggestions.

OK when I run HiJack This is says it does not have write access to the hosts file and (I am running Vista) says I should select run as administrator. When I right click on the Hijack this Icon and try to run as administrator, this option is greyed out, yet this is MY computer and I am the administrator. Does Hijack This need access to the hosts file?

Posted Image

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Lowell Devils' Goalies: Frank Doyle and (co-keeper) Jordan Parise; Keeper of former Ottawa Senator Dean McAmmond; co-Keeper of David Clarkson; Keeper of the first goal at The Rock (thank you Meszaros/Neil) and the first EN goal at The Rock (thanks Alfie); and co-Keeper of NJDevs.com Keepers.

Proud recipient of the 2008 NJDevs.com Joe Nieuwendyk Award for Best Non-Devils Fan

I curse you Noah Webster for your defamation of the English language. I spit on you.

#7 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:39 PM

I ran a Malwarebytes' Anti-malware FULL scan and everything came up clean.

Posted Image

#8 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:49 PM

Hmmm, I also do not seem to be able to create a log file from HiJack This. Once I have done the scan I can save the log file, a dialogue opens asking where to save it. When it tries to open the log file it notepad, I get an error saying it cannot find the log file and do I want to create a new one. If I click yes or no, I just get a blank Notepad.

Posted Image

#9 threestars

threestars

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 04:02 AM

So I decided to go the uninstall Firefox and reinstall route. Seems to be ok for the mo. Thanks for your assistance though folks.

Posted Image

#10 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:40 AM

Firefox is such a memory hog I won't use it anymore. If you've never tried iObit's Advanced SystemCare, you should download the free version and try it. It's great at keeping syopware off your system and watcvhing for other things that can slow your PC down. Works well, and is fairly unintrusive.

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users