204 replies to this topic

#21 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:36 AM

Probably will be similar to Dallas, Nashville or even Buffalo worst case scenario. Not really good news but I'm not going to go crazy yet.

#22 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

You can make it up or exceed that in concessions/merchandise/etc if you get more people through the doors with lower ticket prices.

The team knows this as well. The team is looking to optimize total revenue, not attendance or concession/merchandise revenue. I believe the Devils attendance isn't as drastically affected by ticket prices as others think.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#23 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,256 posts

I am very silly lol. I just don't understand how the team hasn't figured it out yet. Move game times back to 7:30 on weeknights so people have the time to get there after work, and lower prices a little bit! There's no reason people should have to pay over 100 to sit in the goal bar. There are no amenities. You aren't in the lower level and you have exclusive access to pay 9$ for a beer at a nice looking bar. Mezzanine seats at center ice are 80-100$... the are 60$ in Philly.

The Devils could also look to buy that lot between the arena and Arena Lounge. It's owned by the city and they could buy it and own a parking lot= more revenue.

I never understood the advantages of sitting in the goal bar other than the seat itself is nicer than the standard ones.

Also I think the start time of 7:00 from 7:30 was done because the channels that air the programs want to start their post-game at 9:30 instead and then have regular programming at 10. Back when it started at 7:30 and they went into overtime the game would go past 10PM and there would be a short post-game and eat into the 10PM program.

Edited by DevsMan84, 04 November 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#24 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Or the team loses more money from lost revenue. The team isn't purposefully setting ticket prices to purposefully lower revenue and attendance.

They could have ticket plans where you pick the number of games you go to and the ticket price could decrease depending on how many you buy.

1 game= 2 seats at 50$ each.
2 games= 2 seats at 48$ each.
So on and so forth.

Moving game times back to 7:30 is also vital I think. Working ANYWHERE in the NJ/NYC area and you know it's VERY hard to get out of work and get into downtown Newark by 7pm.

Make game tickets double as a coupon for 10% off something in the team store. Might entice someone to go buy a 30$ player t-shirt just for the 3$ savings.

There are so many little things that the team could do to save the fans money by enticing them to spend more.

#25 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

still this isnt good news
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#26 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

I don't know how most of you can say "it's ok, I'm not going to get crazy over this" simply because the Devils will likely stay put, but be saddled with uncertain ownership, financial troubles, and a minimal budget. Are you really that OK with being a bottom-10 team for the next 10+ years? Are you really that OK with years of frustration and playing 82 games with no real hope of reaching the playoffs or winning anything?

I am a true fan and I'll keep watching, but I definitely will NOT be "OK" with it. It sucks in every respect, and I don't think anyone should really be sugarcoating it or thinking it's not that bad.

#27 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:43 AM

This looks like the same crap The Post wrote, only now Yahoo is talking about it.. Again, I see no reason to panic but then again Devils fans looooove to panic.. Remember last season when people here deemed us "out of the playoffs" in late October? Yeah, enough said..

I won't rehash my theory on this because when people want to panic it just goes over their head..

And Andrew, I was at Wells Fargo Center last night and seeing all that orange gave me such a hardon it was insane ;) We all know you want the Devils to move so you can go to Outlaws and Titans games for $10 :P

Edited by Colin226, 04 November 2011 - 10:45 AM.

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#28 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

The team knows this as well. The team is looking to optimize total revenue, not attendance or concession/merchandise revenue. I believe the Devils attendance isn't as drastically affected by ticket prices as others think.

When I have 3 different reps call me 5 out of 7 days a week for the past 5 weeks, things are getting desperate. I keep telling each one their plans arent cheap enough and they just have nothing to say to that. I keep asking them why pay about $20-32 a ticket on your plan in the upper level when I can get the same seat on stubhub for $9? They have no answer.

And prices do determine a lot for me and at this point I can only commit to games depending on my financial outlook for the month ahead.

This looks like the same crap The Post wrote, only now Yahoo is talking about it.. Again, I see no reason to panic but then again Devils fans looooove to panic.. Remember last season when people here deemed us "out of the playoffs" in late October? Yeah, enough said..

I won't rehash my theory on this because when people want to panic it just goes over their head..

And Andrew, I was at Wells Fargo Center last night and seeing all that orange gave me such a hardon it was insane ;)

lol but did we manke the playoffs? The hole created in October was too deep for us to climb out of.

#29 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

I don't know how most of you can say "it's ok, I'm not going to get crazy over this" simply because the Devils will likely stay put, but be saddled with uncertain ownership, financial troubles, and a minimal budget. Are you really that OK with being a bottom-10 team for the next 10+ years? Are you really that OK with years of frustration and playing 82 games with no real hope of reaching the playoffs or winning anything?

I am a true fan and I'll keep watching, but I definitely will NOT be "OK" with it. It sucks in every respect, and I don't think anyone should really be sugarcoating it or thinking it's not that bad.

There are a few teams who were able to make the playoffs with financial limitations over the years.

#30 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

When I have 3 different reps call me 5 out of 7 days a week for the past 5 weeks, things are getting desperate. I keep telling each one their plans arent cheap enough and they just have nothing to say to that. I keep asking them why pay about $20-32 a ticket on your plan in the upper level when I can get the same seat on stubhub for $9? They have no answer.

And prices do determine a lot for me and at this point I can only commit to games depending on my financial outlook for the month ahead.

I'm not saying what prices mean to you, the Devils need to look at the larger group.

I don't think taking a 30 dollar ticket and making it 27 generates much, if any, attendance increase but it will generate a revenue shortfall. I think the Devils would have to cut prices deeply to affect attendance in any large way, and at that point prices are cut too much for the revenue to made up through other avenues.

That's all based on anecdotal evidence watching the crowds over the years but the Devils, I would feel confident, spend a lot of time figuring out what ticket price maximizes revenue. If it was as easy as cut prices and revenues go up then they would have followed that.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#31 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

what does this mean for parise
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#32 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

At this point... I would be fine with the Devils dropping a postcard into every mailbox in NJ and saying "Hey! Remember us?! We're broke! So if you'd like Parise to come back and to have a hockey team to cheer for in the future, get your ass to the arena!"

#33 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,370 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

the devils aren't moving, it's just a question of when vanderbeek can finally sell and get out. he brought the newark arena which is great, but he also bought the team with money he didn't have, and hasn't gotten.

Isn't that what all great business men do. Buy leveraged on debt.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#34 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

Moving game times back to 7:30 is also vital I think. Working ANYWHERE in the NJ/NYC area and you know it's VERY hard to get out of work and get into downtown Newark by 7pm.

Won't make a difference. Bowl was still near empty on Wednesday till the 2nd period. 7:30 on Fridays, yeah, but not Mon-Thu when folks have work the next morning and rely on the trains to get in and out.

Edited by Marv4Life, 04 November 2011 - 10:54 AM.

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,900 posts

We don't really have any idea what will happen. Look at Buffalo - they were in the toilet, now they've got an owner who's going to lose tons of money in an effort to win. Pittsburgh was bankrupt 10 years ago and now they have one of the strongest franchises in the NHL. Yeah, both of their situations are different from New Jersey.

Teams that are continually on the bottom of the NHL are not there because of finances, they're there because they are mismanaged. The salary floor prevents teams from going the old Pittsburgh route.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

There are a few teams who were able to make the playoffs with financial limitations over the years.

It happens here and there, but by and large its a losing proposition in the long run. Also, I don't recall any team that was in serious financial trouble and working with a minimal budget winning the Cup.

#37 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Won't make a difference. Bowl was still near empty on Wednesday till the 2nd period. 7:30 on Fridays, yeah, but not Mon-Thu when folks have work the next morning and rely on the trains to get in and out.

For me, Jamie gets out of work at 6:30-6:45 on Tues/Thurs/Fri so we can't go to games on that day. If the start time was 7:30, we now could go to all of those games. I know I'm not the only person in this scenario...

#38 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

We don't really have any idea what will happen. Look at Buffalo - they were in the toilet, now they've got an owner who's going to lose tons of money in an effort to win. Pittsburgh was bankrupt 10 years ago and now they have one of the strongest franchises in the NHL. Yeah, both of their situations are different from New Jersey.

Teams that are continually on the bottom of the NHL are not there because of finances, they're there because they are mismanaged. The salary floor prevents teams from going the old Pittsburgh route.

I agree with you 100%. But at the same time Pittsburgh and Buffalo are in different situations because they are in markets where they can garner tons of support and have the opportunity to sell out most nights if the team is made up correctly. The Devils are in a sh!t market and no matter how good this team is, we'll never be a club that fills up its building every night (as we've seen in the past).

Basically what I'm saying is that ownership in Pittsburgh has every reason to spend in order to make the team better, since they can be assured of higher revenue if the team succeeds. The Devils don't necessarily have that, and I'm not sure if they'll ever have it. In that case, why would an owner pick up this team and really spend his money without regard to revenue in the short term?

#39 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,256 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

For me, Jamie gets out of work at 6:30-6:45 on Tues/Thurs/Fri so we can't go to games on that day. If the start time was 7:30, we now could go to all of those games. I know I'm not the only person in this scenario...

You are def not alone. I used to work 8-5 but now I work 8:30-5:30 after I got promoted and now it is even tougher to make games. Now to make the 5:12 train out of Somerville to get to the game requires me to put a request in to work through lunch and start 30 minutes early to get out by 4PM, go home and change (live about 18 min away) and then drive to the station (15 min away) and then get to Penn by 6-6:15PM and then quickly eat and get to the arena at like 6:45-6:55. It sucks.

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

At this point... I would be fine with the Devils dropping a postcard into every mailbox in NJ and saying "Hey! Remember us?! We're broke! So if you'd like Parise to come back and to have a hockey team to cheer for in the future, get your ass to the arena!"

And 99.9% of the people seeing that postcard would say "Parise who?"
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users