204 replies to this topic

#121 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Putting a professional sized arena or a pro sports team in Parsippany is about a ridiculous idea as i've ever heard of. I wouldn't even know where to start with explaining allt he reasons why and i live about 15 mins from the town.

foxboro has a population of 16,000

#122 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:18 PM

foxboro has a population of 16,000

Foxboro isn't Parsippany. (That's the best way i can put it).

If anyone thinks Parsippany is/was suitable for an professional sports arena then i guess have fun with it. :rolleyes:

Edited by SJP20, 06 November 2011 - 07:45 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#123 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:21 PM

Is Newark suitable for a professional hockey team? Pro basketball maybe, but hockey? No.

n2eg.jpg

#124 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:27 PM

Is Newark suitable for a professional hockey team? Pro basketball maybe, but hockey? No.

In other words, basketball a sport that is predominantly black so it's ok for an inner city where the population is predominantly black.

Hockey, a predominantly white sport, has to be moved to Parsippany (a surburban bedroom community) which is "whiter".

Gotcha.

Edited by SJP20, 06 November 2011 - 07:31 PM.

#125 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:34 PM

In other words, basketball a sport that is predominantly black so it's ok for an inner city where the population is predominantly black.

Hockey, a predominantly white sport, has to be moved to Parsippany (a surburban bedroom community) which is "whiter".

Gotcha.

I Don't know what your talking about but if you say so... I was at a Nets game on a Wednesday and it was packed solid, not a seat available...go figure?

Edited by TheMazz, 06 November 2011 - 07:36 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#126 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

I Don't know what your talking but if you say so... I was at a Nets game on a Wednesday and it was packed solid, not a seat available...go figure?

When you say that basektball belongs in an inner city like Newark and hockey doesn't you're going to imply to anyone who reads it that it's a ethnic barrier wether that is your intention or not.

The Nets gave away thousands of tickets for home games. Thousands. The ones that weren't free were priced at $3 on stubhub most nights. Also, i'd venture that the opposition was more of a draw more often then not.

#127 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,981 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

I Don't know what your talking about but if you say so... I was at a Nets game on a Wednesday and it was packed solid, not a seat available...go figure?

That's simply not true. My friends a fan and I went to a handfull of games last year. Not once was there more than 10 people in a single section in the 200's or the balcony. Tickets were less than a dollar all year long on stubhub.

#128 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,480 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:56 PM

That's simply not true. My friends a fan and I went to a handfull of games last year. Not once was there more than 10 people in a single section in the 200's or the balcony. Tickets were less than a dollar all year long on stubhub.

it might be true, but only if the opponent was the celtics, heat, knicks, or lakers. i don't know if those teams sold out, but i would believe that they could.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#129 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:02 PM

Nets game have more jews than blacks attend their games
Devils.

#130 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

I believe it. 50 cent tickets!

#131 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

Also nets games don't sell out at all. They look exactly like devils games. Celtics, knicks, bulls and heat sell it out.
Devils.

#132 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,175 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

It takes me just as long to get from rt.80 to the exit off of 280 as it does to get from that exit to the Rock if you want to talk about congestion! Let me see rt. 80 or Mulberry St. lol you've got to be kidding...how many hockey fans take the train to Newark, I'm guessing not many. Just think of all the cops you don't need. I'm sure a lot of Devil fans stay away from the Rock because of the crime, the shootings, robberies and just the whole bad Image Newark portrays. On the other hand Parsippany would portray a more family friendly atmosphere.

Just a thought, but have you ever had to drive WESTBOUND on 280 or 80 between 5 and 7 pm on a weekday? Especially through Essex and Passaic Counties to get to your beloved Parsippany? You by driving EASTBOUND on those highways are going AGAINST traffic at that hour.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#133 trailblazer

trailblazer

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:31 PM

Parsippany??

Totally absurd and just plain stupid.

I actually really enjoy going to Newark for the games.

In 5-10 years I think the area surrounding the Rock becomes totally revitalized.

#134 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

lol you've got to be kidding...how many hockey fans take the train to Newark, I'm guessing not many.

Pardon me, I need to go :rofl: for the next five hours.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#135 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:01 AM

Pardon me, I need to go :rofl: for the next five hours.

taking the train is about 40x better than driving.

#136 Section21

Section21

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

I take the Train and on Devils game nights it is packed with Red Jerseys. Huge crowd in Penn Station heading in as well.

#137 Coorslight

Coorslight

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:20 AM

To be fair, depends where you live. I took the trains once from Dover and would never do it again. I've driven in 15+ times and find it so much easier and quicker.

1dun.jpg

#138 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

To be fair, depends where you live. I took the trains once from Dover and would never do it again. I've driven in 15+ times and find it so much easier and quicker.

You could drive to South Orange, park for free and spend much less on transit. You could also take 287 towards one of the Raritan Valley stations and go straight into Penn Station.

I'm sure a lot of Devil fans stay away from the Rock because of the crime, the shootings, robberies and just the whole bad Image Newark portrays.

Yet attendance has gone up since the move, like it or not. Haven't you heard of Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, D.C. and LA? Do fans stay away based on the crime in those cities?

#139 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,988 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:39 AM

I don't miss driving either...but if you're going with a group or live far away frequently it costs less to split one parking fee. Plus when I take the train on weekends I have an hour layover in Newark from the time the game ends till the next train arrives at Broad Street.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#140 puckrock

puckrock

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

Coming from Long Island (Mid-Suffolk county), I pretty much have no choice but to take the train. I go LIRR to NY Penn, then hop on the PATH train to NWK Penn. Even though this trip takes about an hour and a half, it is exponentially better than driving in.

Driving to the Meadowlands was hard enough. If anyone is still driving in to The Rock, I highly encourage you to get on mass transit. You won't regret it.
This is my 2012 Playoff signature.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users