52 replies to this topic

#21 Devil Fan

Devil Fan

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,459 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:18 PM

Bettman wants us to lose. That is the only explanation I can think of.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Chocolate + Devil = My life

#22 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,053 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:35 PM

The problem with hockey and football is that they have to continuously change the rules due to poor officiating. Both leagues should NOT have league officials monitering these replays. They never want to contradict their fellow officials

My two favorite leagues- the NHL and the NFL- are both currently under some of the worst leadership, from the top down, in their respective histories. I can't stand Bettman or Goodell.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#23 ice dog

ice dog

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

mike murphy's official NHL interpretation is bizarre. http://video.nhl.com...tid=2&id=132800
"Wendy...I'm home."
-Jack Torrance
Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ
"Little did we know the C on Parise's jersey stood for "C-ya, suckers!" Yes, I was fooled. And it is the collusion vibe that taints it."

#24 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,477 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Yes, it seems like Murphy is reading the rules improperly. Murphy applies the spin-o-rama rule to a non spin-o-rama play.

:lol: @ Murphy saying that slow motion shouldn't be used because that's an unfair analysis. So he is saying that it is better to get the call wrong than to use slow motion, which is a ridiculous position for an instant replay judge.

Just crazy that an NHL official has an official explanation that bears no relation to the rule as written.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#25 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:08 PM

mike murphy's official NHL interpretation is bizarre. http://video.nhl.com...tid=2&id=132800

Wow, so he basically admits that there is almost no situation where the rule will be enforced. The PUCK has to come to a stop? Seriously? It's on ice, dude, it's never going to happen. So in other words, there's nothing wrong with a player coming to a complete stop for ten minutes right in front of the goalie as long as he keeps stick handling the puck? Wow. How long until this non-rule gets abused?

#26 ringtwins

ringtwins

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

How COULD have briere been "more" stopped exactly? He stopped.
You do know that Devil fans are so used to being in the playoffs that people save their money for the later rounds, right? Triumph

#27 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,970 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:28 PM

How COULD have briere been "more" stopped exactly? He stopped.

Yes, he did stop. But the puck didn't, so it's totally fine. Or something.

#28 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:42 PM

Yes, he did stop. But the puck didn't, so it's totally fine. Or something.

But I thought it did stop.. I see him skate up, then put his stick in front of the puck, pull it back about 3 or so inches, and continue on.. To have the puck move backwards even the smallest amount means it had to have stopped

Side note: I was at the game and their fans reactions were hysterical.. Not only were they chanting "A$$HOLE" at the refs who would eventually side with them, but they had NO IDEA why it was being reviewed.. I had to explain it to the guys around me but they didn't seem interested in "logic"
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#29 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=2&id=132800

Interview with NHL VP Mike Murphy - He actually says something along the lines of "Sure, when you slow the replay down then you see it came to a stop, but you have to look at the play in real-time" It's at like 1:15

HOLY F***ING SH**!! So he's saying you have to look at replays in real-time?! WTF do we have replays for if we should only look at them in real time?? The damn ref on the ice is there looking at it in real time!! That's such a cop-out BS answer that I've lost all respect for replays.. The point is to get the damn call right!!

What I essentially got from this was "We did everything we could to ensure we had an excuse for giving the Flyers a chance.." Seriously, after the officials called a penalty on the Devils after every somewhat-physical play last night, coupled with the fact that we are continously screwed by replays (anyone recall the Clarkson "kick-in" against Ottawa last season that has been allowed at least 3 times since then against us) I really hate to say someone has it out for us but DAMN, the evidence is there

Edited by Colin226, 04 November 2011 - 08:15 PM.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#30 Anhkheg

Anhkheg

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 594 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:25 PM

now this also means that a player can go wide right to left (or left to right) and if the goalie follows him and doesn't give him a shot, the player can then come around and try the other direction and back and forth as long as the puck is moving? Its clear that moving towards the goal line rule isn't enforced making it utterly useless.Or he can stand in front of the goalkeeper and just keeping moving the puck left and right and simply wait until the GK falls or makes the first move or something?

Edited by Anhkheg, 04 November 2011 - 08:41 PM.

#31 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:58 PM

Haha, Mike Murphy is a tool.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#32 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

You guys have pretty much said it all already. I just don't get the rule on forward motion then. It says the puck MUST continually be moving forward and it's pretty clear that Briere stops and while doing so pulls the puck back as he starts moving again. To repeat what you all have said already, if that's not considered as the puck stopping, then I guess nothing really is.

#33 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,053 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

The NHL has embarassed itself yet again. Just say you fvcked the call up and move on. The bullsh!t attempts at justification are flat-out cartoonish.

#34 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:14 PM

So basically Murphy is saying If the goalie cuts off all avenues of forward motion before the shooter gets his shot off the shooter can stop, regroup and change his direction as long as it's in about a 15-20 second - nah im being sarcastic. In reality in about a 5-10 second time frame.

Seriously. That what he thinks the spirit of the rule is.

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 November 2011 - 09:18 PM.

I'm here for the party

#35 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:17 PM

The NHL has embarassed itself yet again. Just say you fvcked the call up and move on. The bullsh!t attempts at justification are flat-out cartoonish.

Thats exactly what I am saying. Its not amusing anymore and it needs to be taken under control IMO.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#36 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,184 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:22 PM

Hit the nail on the head.. What a complete joke.. Just like how they defending Colin Campbell's decisions to no end and then pretty much dumped him for Shanny
Posted Image

#37 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:25 PM

What's annoying is Larssons hip check was in the spirit of the game. So much was "by the book" against the Devils but "Awe c'mon that's not the spirit of the rule" for the Flyers.

Awe c'mon. Devils are losers we can finally start calling it that way again. It's the spirit of the NHL. Flyers winners... Spirit of the game duh?

And STILL the Flyers can't pull the win out of theirass "Well good for the Devils! That's what makes hockey great!" coo the fvckheads in Toronto. Jackasses

I'm here for the party

#38 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,053 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hit the nail on the head.. What a complete joke.. Just like how they defending Colin Campbell's decisions to no end and then pretty much dumped him for Shanny

It's like they just make the rules up as they go along. It's been this way for years, and it just seems to get progressively worse. There's no accountability by anyone. It's a joke that a major professional sports league operates this way.

#39 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Yeah. On the nose. Someone didn't really look at the play. They saw the rearview replay In real time. Hey were busy here. Yeah. Have another donut.... Eh?

Edited by Pepperkorn, 04 November 2011 - 09:28 PM.

I'm here for the party

#40 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:32 PM

It's like they just make the rules up as they go along. It's been this way for years, and it just seems to get progressively worse. There's no accountability by anyone. It's a joke that a major professional sports league operates this way.

Thats exactly how it is. They go by the game. If the one ref feels that the Devils dont deserve to have the call go in their favor then it isnt. Thats as far as it goes. The refs arent being looked at as if they represent the NHL and all that is fair in the world. They are their own bosses. The calls need to be in the sake of hockey, not the outcome.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users