51 replies to this topic

#41 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

But not this. If you're gonna argue that we shouldn't chant you suck because we should be more focused on celebrating the goal and cheering the team on, then you can't justify saying we suck, even if we're losing by a certain amount. We need people to cheer for the team, not against it. Not happy with their performance? You don't have to stand up and cheer and clap, just sit. It baffles me that fans of our own team would do that. I can deal with booing if the outing is particularly bad, but as sensitive as some people seem to be over chanting that other teams suck, I'm definitely sensitive towards turning a happy occasion, such as a goal for us, negative by saying we suck, I don't care if we're losing 10-0 at the time of the goal.

The simple solution to this all is: Don't like the "you suck", don't do it, just cheer and clap and do the "hey" portion. Don't like the "hey" song? Then cheer and clap and yell, easy as that.

No your right. I dont do it often but sometimes I do. If we are garbage that night, I say we suck. If the team clearly needs a boost then I stick to the hey and hand motions. I never boo. I dont think I ever have and ever will. As a fan, it is ok to sit in the stands and say holy fvck we blow. My "we"'s when I do do it are muffled back behind the you's anyway. I just dont like the whole hypocritical crap that the fan base does. Its not funny when we chant you suck and point at the other goaltender when we are clearly not playing as well. Its not cute. Its dumb and makes us and our team look like a bunch of a$$holes.

Edited by Quinn01, 14 November 2011 - 03:09 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#42 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

Saying we suck makes you look like a stupid a$$hole rangers fan. Amazing how sensitive and stupid some can be.

#43 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

Saying we suck makes you look like a stupid a$$hole rangers fan. Amazing how sensitive and stupid some can be.

A non constructive comment. What a surprise.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#44 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:20 PM

Hey! You suck!

#45 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,774 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:56 PM

Plus, besides San Jose's half-assed version of it, who else in the league uses it? I don't recall ever really hearing it this season elsewhere.

Nashville uses it too, and their "you suck" is ten times louder than ours.......and nobody seems to mind.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#46 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,671 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

I like R&R II because it just fits as the Devils goal song. They used it in Colorado as a victory song, and it came to Jersey and was the goal song during the cup years. It was weird using Zombie Nation. Ole kind of worked since the Bouncing Souls are from Jersey, but R&R II was always perfect.

Yeah, the 'you sucks' are childish, as are the inferiority complex laden 'Rangers suck' chants, but I think that's just the way it is now. We have a younger, college aged fan base now.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#47 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:40 PM

Nashville uses it too, and their "you suck" is ten times louder than ours.......and nobody seems to mind.

It's lame no matter who does it.
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#48 Baggy Spandex

Baggy Spandex

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

Besides the song just feeling right....every one of our fans knows to yell "Hey!" when we score a goal. That's worth it alone.
"Marion Gaborik scored his 65th, 66th, 67th, and 68th goals of the season tonight.

However, The Rangers were beaten by the Maple Leafs 6-4. Rather than bore you with those highlights, let's enjoy yet another encore presentation of our great MSG documentary, "1994: The Year We Can't Stop Thinking About" " - Warren

#49 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:51 AM

Using Rev Theory's Hell Yeah wouldnt be so mad either. Fits the scheme and is catchy.

That song is more of a pump up song. Come on people, no one is going to sing to most of this crap. They aren't going to work. Most people yell You Suck, so just keep it. It works and we're known for it, leave it alone.

#50 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:17 AM

That song is more of a pump up song. Come on people, no one is going to sing to most of this crap. They aren't going to work. Most people yell You Suck, so just keep it. It works and we're known for it, leave it alone.

This, this and this.

I get that some of the people want the goal song (of all things) to be more family/fan friendly (at least that's what I've gathered from what I read) but to censor our most known celebration and change it to some lame nu-metal song...I just don't know. If you change it then fans would still do it either out of protest or because they just feel like it. It's like the whiteout. A lot of the Devil fans will do whatever they want so no sense changing it. (Unless you think Hells Bells works as a goal horn)

Besides I like Rock and Roll II and I'm in the minority that likes yelling out You Suck. My sister and I both do it. Although I'd say I do it once per game and not every other goal.

n2eg.jpg

#51 NLinfante

NLinfante

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

I agree that the "you suck" is a little immature, but it's also pretty fun. At this point, I'm for just about anything that gets fans up and excited...within reason. I think naysayers needs to realize that the word "suck" is basically acceptable commonplace for anyone in their teens and above these days. Movies, music, etc., it's not really considered offensive except in school or church or for particularly young children. That's society today, it's just the way it is. I understand that parents with small children probably dont love it, and that's okay, but you wouldnt take fighting out of hockey just because you teach your children not to punch one another. There are just elements of the pro sports experience that people have to deal with.

The "flyers swallow" chant is one that I dont partake in though, for me, it's more suggestive, graphic, and not really acceptable to say in public anywhere else...but that's just me. Everyone has their own limits I guess.

#52 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

Flyers Swallow...I can understand if you want to leave that part out. You Suck really is not that bad. Go to a soccer game, you'll hear much worse. We don't really heckle the goalie like other crowds (wish we did, I got it going in the supporters section last year) so the least we can do it let em know they suck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users