56 replies to this topic

#41 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:54 PM

Also, I really do not appreciated being constantly asked before and after every game to buy sh!tty candy on the streets as well as seeing a drunk homeless guy literally lying face down next to the arena. My gf and I have called the police for this reason twice in the past year alone for this as we did not want the guy to die out there.

Jeez ... if you think that's bad, I hope you never go to a game at MSG. I've seen a crusty old crackhead jump in front of traffic and flash her growler to unsuspecting drivers. And she wasn't even the craziest homeless person out there that night.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#42 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Most of our area is parking lots and Penn Station, there's not a lot of area to even build. What should we do? Tear down people's houses and businesses and tell them to get out? It's just not a simple solution people, quit pretending like it is.

Well what do you think they tore down to build the friggin arena?

Jeez ... if you think that's bad, I hope you never go to a game at MSG. I've seen a crusty old crackhead jump in front of traffic and flash her growler to unsuspecting drivers. And she wasn't even the craziest homeless person out there that night.

I have been to MSG many times and have seen the crackheads there. However, I have never been even close to the point of calling the police out of fear of either theirs or my safety like I have in Newark.

#43 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Part of it is just the noise delay in the arena, since it takes a split second for you to hear what you see

I mean it's just two sides of the arena start chants at different times usually. As the last home game, the Diablos side had a LGD chant, and then they cued the music or the drum and the side I was on got into it. Well, there you go. Same chant at the same time but slightly off.

Edited by hurricane1091, 15 November 2011 - 02:58 PM.

#44 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

I have been to Philly and NYC many times. I have never had to call the police in either city about a homeless guy passed out in the middle of the sidewalk/street where people are just walking right past him.

I would love Chuck E Cheese. The ball rooms in them are fantastic.

You never have, because you don't care about homeless people in rival cities. Seriously though, there is always bums at Wells Fargo, always. You have to realize, we have no complex at all. It's straight in the city. It's much easier for this kind of sh!t to happen, the people are already naturally there and do not have to walk to the complex. So seriously, what do you suggest to make you happy? People always complain (general statements here) and never have any ideas. Look how long the prudential center took to build, it's not easier tearing people's homes and businesses down. Even the sh!tty chinese restaurant falling down won't sell likely because they get more traffic because of the games. It's just not easy guys. I'm not an expert at all, it is just common sense. There's not much room for stuff, and the people have to want to come in and build in the first place. I don't understand how Lou has ANYTHING to do with "revitalization around the rock," he can't go out in the world and make people leave and force businesses in.

Edited by hurricane1091, 15 November 2011 - 03:04 PM.

#45 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

Other than the Newport area of Jersey City, I can't think of a city in this state that can be considered attractive. NJ is known for its towns not cities. the main corporate locations in jersey are spread across sprawling pharmaceutical campuses, the big lawns in Englewood cliffs and the old farm fields in northern Bergen county. Pru and verizon being exceptions
Maybe I'm cynical but I was involved with the construction of the Renaissance Mall and the late Harry Grant as a supplier to a sub contractor; and as far as Newark getting revitalized, I'll believe it when I see it and I'm not seeing it yet. and its been 20+ years

yes They've dumped a bit of money into newark with the ball park, Arts Center and now the Rock

but Unfortunately gang violence and youth mortality are still more in the news when it comes to newark than economic growth

#46 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:07 PM

You never have, because you don't care about homeless people in rival cities. Seriously though, there is always bums at Wells Fargo, always. You have to realize, we have no complex at all. It's straight in the city. It's much easier for this kind of sh!t to happen, the people are already naturally there and do not have to walk to the complex. So seriously, what do you suggest to make you happy? People always complain (general statements here) and never have any ideas. Look how long the prudential center took to build, it's not easier tearing people's homes and businesses down. Even the sh!tty chinese restaurant falling down won't sell likely because they get more traffic because of the games. It's just not easier guys. I'm not an expert at all, it is just common sense. There's not much room for stuff, and the people have to want to come in and build in the first place. I don't understand how Lou has ANYTHING to do with "revitalization around the rock," he can't go out in the world and make people leave and force businesses in.

Please explain the statement that I do not care about homeless people in rival cities? Are you saying I SHOULDN'T care about homeless people or that you assume that I do not care about homeless in other cities. If you think I shouldn't care all because they live in a rival city, well then that just speaks volumes about the kind of person you really are. If you are saying that I do not care about homeless people in other cities, well I do care but I haven't seen people in all my times in NYC (too many in my lifetime to count) and Philly (prob a good 6 times in the last year) who are lying face-down on the street and passed out. Each time I saw it in the last year in Newark my gf and I really feared for the guy's life so we called the police to check on him to see if he needed to go the hospital. If I think a homless guy in either Philly or NYC might have his life in danger, I will call the police too, but havent ever been to that point yet in all my years.

I do not put any blame or credit on Lou on how the surrounding area is in Newark. So at least on that point I agree with you.

#47 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:09 PM

Why so serious? I wouldn't honestly say that seriously. Hence the SERIOUSLY, THOUGH part.

Edited by hurricane1091, 15 November 2011 - 03:11 PM.

#48 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Other than the Newport area of Jersey City, I can't think of a city in this state that can be considered attractive. NJ is known for its towns not cities. the main corporate locations in jersey are spread across sprawling pharmaceutical campuses, the big lawns in Englewood cliffs and the old farm fields in northern Bergen county. Pru and verizon being exceptions
Maybe I'm cynical but I was involved with the construction of the Renaissance Mall and the late Harry Grant as a supplier to a sub contractor; and as far as Newark getting revitalized, I'll believe it when I see it and I'm not seeing it yet. and its been 20+ years

yes They've dumped a bit of money into newark with the ball park, Arts Center and now the Rock

but Unfortunately gang violence and youth mortality are still more in the news when it comes to newark than economic growth

I totally agree.

I seriously should not read anything you write, you're way too serious. I wouldn't honestly say that seriously. Hence the SERIOUSLY, THOUGH part.

People use seriously though as part of their normal speech patterns. This is a message board and everyone has a different style of writing and it gets tough to sort out what exactly you mean somtimes. This is why I also never respond to PK's posts. I cannot for my life understand her crazy cat lady type writing.

#49 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 03:15 PM

Anyways, I've never seen a bum at the Rock face down and I've been to like 50 games. sh!t happens dude, there's nothing we can do about that happening to someone. It can happen anywhere. You can't change the people in Newark, it's just a fact. They were there before us, and they will stay there. I am thankful for having a nice arena honestly, and I've learned to appreciate what there is outside The Rock. It's only going to get better. If you don't embrace it, why would other businesses come? Think about it.

#50 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:39 PM

I'd like to know what street this bum face down was located.

And you're driving up and down Broad Street instead of 21. Like Triumph said folks driving to the Verizon Center from the east will experience worse areas(I've ridden through there myself, I'll take Broad St. over NY Avenue NE any day of the week even with the motels). Take the train in if a bothers you so much. That way you won't deal with the ghetto element from Broad Street.

#51 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,676 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 06:46 PM

I'd like to know what street this bum face down was located.

And you're driving up and down Broad Street instead of 21. Like Triumph said folks driving to the Verizon Center from the east will experience worse areas(I've ridden through there myself, I'll take Broad St. over NY Avenue NE any day of the week even with the motels). Take the train in if a bothers you so much. That way you won't deal with the ghetto element from Broad Street.

Both times it was on lafayette. One a few feet down from uber burger and another time right next to where the employees enter. So practically the same spot.

Also you suggesting that I take the train if I don't want to see the ghetto elements speaks volumes about the area.

#52 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

Newark SUCKS, we get it dude. But fvck Newark right now, it's not your downtown hang out spot regardless if it was nicer. The point is the Arena + area right outside the arena is not bad, which is what is important.

Someone make a list of what they want outside the arena, for real. Let's decide why Newark sucks and what is missing instead of the same general argument that it simply sucks. Yes, Newark sucks, let's focus on just where the arena is. Let's face it, you're NOT going to go to Newark to hang out ever in the next 20 years, so let it go.

Edited by hurricane1091, 15 November 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#53 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:06 PM

Some video of the opening face-off I just got around to posting

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=T38EcgWE2wk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T38EcgWE2wk
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#54 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

that atmosphere seems dead.

#55 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,802 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

that atmosphere seems dead.

oh no.. it was electric in there.. that as the opening face-off and they had just gone wild over the Anthem signing
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#56 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,415 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:51 PM

I've lived outside of DC for 11 years and have seen the Caps franchise arise from the dead.

1- The Caps PA guy is the Trojan Man in the Trojan Condom commericals.
2- The Caps fans yell "Red!" a la Cornell and RPI hockey during the anthem and "Oh" which has passed down from Orioles games.
3- Even when the Caps stunk the Caps tapped into the young/teen/young adult fan market mostly through marketing the team with a local FM DC Elliot Segal and his popular morning show. Because of this even before Ovechkin being a hockey fan was seen as "hip". Ovie's arrival just got everybody else on board and those young/teen/young adults back in 2003, 2004, 2005 are now ticket-buying age.
4- It helps when all of the other DC sports teams have stunk out loud. Caps tickets are now the hardest tickets to get in the area. The only thing that approaches it was Stephen Strasberg's rookie starts for the Nationals. You can get Redskins tickets anywhere and the Skins are actually taking 10,000 seats out of Fed Ex Field.
5- The 2 fan bases Caps fans hate the most is Pittsburgh and Philly by far.

#57 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,944 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

I've lived outside of DC for 11 years and have seen the Caps franchise arise from the dead.

1- The Caps PA guy is the Trojan Man in the Trojan Condom commericals.
2- The Caps fans yell "Red!" a la Cornell and RPI hockey during the anthem and "Oh" which has passed down from Orioles games.
3- Even when the Caps stunk the Caps tapped into the young/teen/young adult fan market mostly through marketing the team with a local FM DC Elliot Segal and his popular morning show. Because of this even before Ovechkin being a hockey fan was seen as "hip". Ovie's arrival just got everybody else on board and those young/teen/young adults back in 2003, 2004, 2005 are now ticket-buying age.
4- It helps when all of the other DC sports teams have stunk out loud. Caps tickets are now the hardest tickets to get in the area. The only thing that approaches it was Stephen Strasberg's rookie starts for the Nationals. You can get Redskins tickets anywhere and the Skins are actually taking 10,000 seats out of Fed Ex Field.
5- The 2 fan bases Caps fans hate the most is Pittsburgh and Philly by far.

Unfortunately for us, New Jersey doesn't have a popular radio morning DJ to talk up the Devils. That would be cool if we did.

Appreciate the info on the Caps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users