#1 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Jets skills competition. http://www.tsn.ca/wi...port/?id=380573

I don't remember the devils doing anything like this, or maybe it just isn't marketed but in the comments it said something about 10,000 ppl attended at $25 a ticket. I think I would go to something like this. It would be a nice way to raise some extra cash, although I think Lou would frown on this type of thing. Your thoughts?
Posted Image

#2 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

I would absolutely go to this. I think it would be alot of fun to watch and the players would have a blast.

However I also think you are right, Lou would want the players to concentrate on the games and not the outplaying eachother aspect.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#3 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

The Devils did do something like this at one time. Richer hit 100+ MPH on his shot during one of them i believe.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#4 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:35 AM

I don't think Captain Lou of the Fun Police would allow this to go down.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#5 ClarkyDano23

ClarkyDano23

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 11:46 AM

If I'm not mistaken I think the entire league did these one year(Devils included), I wanna say 2000-2001
-CD23

"Not one camera, not one reporter. But, guess what? If that kid was hurt, I woulda had everyone in that friggin building in front of my face. Isn't that true? But guess what, no one's hurt, so there's nothing to write about."
-Scott Stevens regarding both, his hit in Game 4 on Sami Kapanen during Round 1 against the Hurricanes in 2001, and the media looking for something to write about

My Youtube Page! - http://www.youtube.com/McKay4429061

My Devils Photos! - http://www.flickr.co...57602625649087/

http://www.pokerroad.com

#6 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

I remember hearing about how Chorske always won fastest skater until Nieds came along.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#7 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:31 PM

just for sh!t and giggles who do you think would be the best and the worst in each categories...

Fastest Skater: Tedenby / Sykora

Best Skater: Kovalchuk / CLARKSON

Stick Handling: Tedenby / Fraser

Accuracy Shooting: Kovalchuk / Boulton

Hardest Shot: Kovalchuk / Pelley ?

Breakaway Challenge: Tedenby / Volchenkov

Elimination Shootout: Parise / Salvador

Best One Timer: Kovalchuk / Janssen ?

Passing: Elias / Clarkson

damn its hard to guess the worst in each... there's some that im actually clueless

www.SterioDesign.com

#8 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,271 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:38 PM

Id absolutely go to one of these things.

Part of me can't wait until Lou retires. Only then will something like this be even remotely possible

rsz_2ru-uc9709.jpg

Rutgers:  The Birthplace of College Football

First B1G Season: 7-5

#9 Weekes Head

Weekes Head

Coulier's #1 Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,586 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

yeah, the devils did one in 2000-01. they had the cup and all the trophies on display at the event. it was pretty neat, tickets were only like 15 bucks (i think if you had a season tix they were included in your plan) and i remember them inviting everyone into the lower bowl to enjoy. a lot of the players gave out sticks and gloves afterward. i had a blast. always wished they'd do it again.

Edited by sykkie15, 16 November 2011 - 03:59 PM.

...poster claims to have a friend whos father know Kovalchucks agent's close partner and he was told by his friends father that they are just sorting the details out.

The artist formerly known as RD

#10 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:30 PM

If I remember correctly this was done in the past by each team in preparation of the All Star weekend and the team winner competed against each other at that weekend. I think it was in the late 90s like '96 '97 & '98.

#11 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:44 PM

They definitely did this in the mid-90s. I remember it fell on Columbus Day - I was allowed to go because I didn't have school. It was general admission and my father and I got there so early I got to sit in the lower level directly behind the goal for the first time. It was fun - I might even still have the stat sheet from it at home somewhere...I'll check and take a photo of it if I do.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#12 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

just for sh!t and giggles who do you think would be the best and the worst in each categories...

Fastest Skater: Tedenby / Sykora

Best Skater: Kovalchuk / CLARKSON

Stick Handling: Tedenby / Fraser

Accuracy Shooting: Kovalchuk / Boulton

Hardest Shot: Kovalchuk / Pelley ?

Breakaway Challenge: Tedenby / Volchenkov

Elimination Shootout: Parise / Salvador

Best One Timer: Kovalchuk / Janssen ?

Passing: Elias / Clarkson

damn its hard to guess the worst in each... there's some that im actually clueless

na I would probably put Parise as fastest skater, didnt he win it in the all-star game a couple years ago??
and best skater to Tedenby because he is like the Iverson of hockey

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#13 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,403 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:14 PM

na I would probably put Parise as fastest skater, didnt he win it in the all-star game a couple years ago??
and best skater to Tedenby because he is like the Iverson of hockey

nah Cogliano won i think, also it was the fastest "all-stars"... there's faster skaters in the league but just not at those all-stars competitions

www.SterioDesign.com

#14 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

nah Cogliano won i think, also it was the fastest "all-stars"... there's faster skaters in the league but just not at those all-stars competitions

o yea ok good call in how it wasn't every skater competing

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#15 njdevils2003champs

njdevils2003champs

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:24 AM

I went to 2001 and it was a lot of fun. Wish they would bring this back.
Its Game Time! Are You Ready? Devils Hockey...Next!

NJDevs Keeper of the original 1987-88 Patrick Divison Champions banner, the Ken Daneyko banner, Devils Dawg's cape, 25th anniversary basher board ad, the Utica Devils, the Lowell Devils franchise, the Devils first win at the Rock, Newark Arena's first car-jacking victim, Lowell's pre-"Devil Dawg" mascot's cape, Sections 128 and 129 at "The Rock", Pork Sandwich at The Rock, Jumbotron clapping Godzilla, Mucho Nacho, Grant Marshall first edition Lowell Devils jersey, The first "Rangers suck" chant at the Rock (25th Oct. '07 at Bon Jovi), Bob Gilderstein, the PA voice from 2005-2007, NJ Iromen soccer team, and the Postponed and Continued Lightning/Devils game 1/8/10 and 1/10/10

"Elias, is going to chase it down. Right in front to Arnott, HE SCORES!!!!! JASON ARNOTT HAS SCORED AND THE DEVILS HAVE WON THE CUP!!! JASON ARNOTT!!! JASON ARNOTT has score and the Devils win it 2-1!!!!"-Mike Miller

"The Championship to New Jersey. The Devils win the Stanley Cup"! -Mike Emrick- -June 24, 1995

R.I.P. Mom 2/22/09

#16 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 02:50 AM

Fastest Skater: Kovalchuk

Best Skater: Kovalchuk

Stick Handling: Tedenby

Accuracy Shooting: Kovalchuk

Hardest Shot: Greene

Breakaway Challenge: Parise

Elimination Shootout: Parise

Best One Timer: Kovalchuk

Passing: Elias
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#17 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,468 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:40 AM

Fastest Skater: Kovalchuk

Best Skater: Kovalchuk

Stick Handling: Tedenby

Accuracy Shooting: Kovalchuk

Hardest Shot: Greene

Breakaway Challenge: Parise

Elimination Shootout: Parise

Best One Timer: Kovalchuk

Passing: Elias

You really think Greene has the hardest shot? I would have maybe gone with Volchenkov or maybe even Kovy for that. Everything else I'd agree with except maybe Elias might be the best skater on the team rather than Kovy. Also, it could be argued that Elias might have a more consistently accurate one timer and therefor would be the best, but it's hard to not pick Kovy on that one.

#18 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,380 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:25 AM

You really think Greene has the hardest shot? I would have maybe gone with Volchenkov or maybe even Kovy for that. Everything else I'd agree with except maybe Elias might be the best skater on the team rather than Kovy. Also, it could be argued that Elias might have a more consistently accurate one timer and therefor would be the best, but it's hard to not pick Kovy on that one.

Greene was clocked at 96 back at the AHL skills competition. I'm not sure if Kovalchuk would be harder, he may get a 98 or so.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#19 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,999 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

The Devils did this in the 1999-2000 season. Tickets were like $10 each. I will have to dig out my stub. There were two honorary coaches, Danny Aiello was one; I can't recall who the other was; I think it was a former player -- Bruce Driver maybe? I am pretty sure it was Sheldon Souray, not Stephane Richer, who hit over 100 MPH on the hardest shot competition. He, of, course, would go on to be traded away a short time later that season. The thing I remember most about that night was that I was amazed that so many fans came out to watch it; it wasn't advertised at all. I went home that night feeling that we had a really special team that year, and it turned out that we sure as hell did as they went on to win the Cup. It was a lot of fun.

I don't remember the one in 2000-2001 season.

#20 nmm90392

nmm90392

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

This would be an awesome event form the devils to have!!!!! Especially since were in a financial problems deffinetly a good way to bring in some cashhh

ajq8o1.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users