104 replies to this topic

#41 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,658 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:42 PM

Also...what kind of contract can the Devils offer given their ownership status.

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:46 PM

LA has the room, but it will be a tight squeeze. Right now they're at the cap, but they have some contracts coming off the books. They weren't able to get it done with Kovalchuk.

Detroit has the room, but they desperately need defensemen and not forwards. Also, Zach would have to ask himself, is this a team that's really going places if Lidstrom retires? (And the answer is, yeah, kinda, but that's because of their forwards and forward prospects.)

And NYR we already know all the issues.

Edited by Triumph, 21 November 2011 - 04:53 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,486 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:49 PM

Also...what kind of contract can the Devils offer given their ownership status.

Oh, sure. And I think it's less than 50/50 that Parise is here next year, my point is just that Parise might have to compromise on either dollars or location, I'm not sure he'll be able to get both.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#44 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,009 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:52 PM

LA has the room, but it will be a tight squeeze. Right now they're at the cap, but they have some contracts coming off the books. They weren't able to get it done with Kovalchuk.

Detroit has the room, but they desperately need defensemen and not forwards. Also, Zach would have to ask himself, is this a team that's really going places if Lidstrom retires? (And the answer is, yeah, kinda, but that's because of their forwards and forward prospects.)

And NYR we already know all the issues.

I think LA will move mountains to get Zach, they weren't willing to do that with Kovy and it cost them, they've been looking for a LW ever since. It'd really chap my hyde if the Kings got him after all the nonsense that happened last year with them, and they're a real threat.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#45 nmm90392

nmm90392

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

How much can the devils offer him with the cap

ajq8o1.png

#46 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:58 PM

I'll give him my Jersey Cash 5 winnings.

n2eg.jpg

#47 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:10 PM

yea even if you say the Kings are too close to the cap, all they have to do, is offer a trade. if LA can eventually afford the contract, all they have to do is contact NJ. Obviously i dont want that to happen, but its still always possible

yea even if you say the Kings are too close to the cap, all they have to do, is offer a trade. if LA can eventually afford the contract, all they have to do is contact NJ. Obviously i dont want that to happen, but its still always possible

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#48 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,469 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:25 PM

Depends on how some of the other free agents shake out, but you could work in 9 or 10 million for him. It would be crazy to do that, but you could.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#49 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,246 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:39 PM

assuming the CBA doesn't change the world, the salary cap is not really the issue. the devils financial situation and internally imposed cap as well as parise's feelings are what matters here.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#50 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

parise saying he wants to contend for the cup is as predictable as saying i want to win the lotto...the devils might be in it in the next few just as much as other teams minus a healthy pitt's...if he wanted he would take a smaller deal with them....he's not preforming at a lvl at which demands will most likely be...locking up him into a long term deal at a large cap hit isn't a good idea
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#51 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:03 AM

parise saying he wants to contend for the cup is as predictable as saying i want to win the lotto...the devils might be in it in the next few just as much as other teams minus a healthy pitt's...if he wanted he would take a smaller deal with them....he's not preforming at a lvl at which demands will most likely be...locking up him into a long term deal at a large cap hit isn't a good idea

Well....I dont know about that. He has a 1-30 chance to the cup.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#52 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,092 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Of course Parise wants to win the cup. Waht is important is if he wants to lead his team to a cup or just be a part of a cup winning team.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#53 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,698 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:28 AM

Parise's injury and then zajac the year after is such an horrible timing at the worst possible time...

Take toews out of chicago for a whole year then kane the year after... Then see how they did

But all together plus the financial problems and all its just a perfect storm to push zach out....

If he somehow stays im gonna be some impress with the guy

The worst thing is that if we lose him... Yeah sure we have some money to spend but theres nothing too exciting on the market this summer t hat could ease my pain and it doesnt mean we could land him

Edited by SterioDesign, 22 November 2011 - 03:31 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#54 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,324 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:41 AM

Before the start of the season, the idea of Parise bolting was almost too much to stomach. Now...not so much.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#55 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

If he stays I'd be hard pressed not to schedule his number retirement immediately -- even if it would be (:pray: knock wood) about 15 years in advance.

I'm here for the party

#56 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:03 AM

Also - can we all just agree that barring Parise saying straight out "I will not be back please trade me now" Lou will NOT trade the guy no matter where the team is at the deadline. Parise is better than anything out there I think Lou feels - as he ALWAYS feels about our impending UFAs. He never dumps a valuable player. Of course he never makes huge splashy Free Agent signings either so... I guess never say never.

I'm here for the party

#57 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

Also - can we all just agree that barring Parise saying straight out "I will not be back please trade me now" Lou will NOT trade the guy no matter where the team is at the deadline. Parise is better than anything out there I think Lou feels - as he ALWAYS feels about our impending UFAs. He never dumps a valuable player. Of course he never makes huge splashy Free Agent signings either so... I guess never say never.

He should be traded. Letting him walk for nothing shouldn't be an option. This is the exception to the Devils' rule, because the team is not a contender anymore.

#58 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,407 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:39 AM

I disagree -- if there is a chance to keep him I approve of lou trying to take it. And I'm fine with Lou sticking to a hard and fast value -- if you can't trust those then you can't trust anything.

If the Devils aren't contenders then no one is. Take off your dusk tinted glasses.

I'm here for the party

#59 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:49 AM

I disagree -- if there is a chance to keep him I approve of lou trying to take it. And I'm fine with Lou sticking to a hard and fast value -- if you can't trust those then you can't trust anything.

If the Devils aren't contenders then no one is. Take off your dusk tinted glasses.

ARE YOU SAYING I'M TOO NEGATIVE, PK?! :D

I like to consider myself more of a realist. But if the Devils keep Parise and make a run (win two playoff rounds) and/or end up re-signing #9, I welcome your "I told ya so."

Edited by Jerrydevil, 22 November 2011 - 11:50 AM.

#60 NJDevils1214

NJDevils1214

All-Star

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

Parise isn't an exception to the same things that happen to every player. Maybe we have taken his talent for granted and now he is going through a rough patch. I'm not going to turn on him now just because he is having a rough start to a season after being named captain and coming off a season long injury the year before.

815631765.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users