82 replies to this topic

#61 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:39 PM

I really think Zharkov needs to be with the NHL team at this point. 2/3 of both the 3rd and 4th line don't even try to score, it seems. While Carter has been decent so far, he was nearly invisible this past game, in my opinion. At least Zharkov can skate well and create some type of offensive threat.

Until Zajac is back, though, it's hard to expect too much from the Devils. As long as they keep up a record like their current one until Zajac returns, I'll be happy.

#62 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:41 PM

I think Henrique and Kovy should be together, and Zajac and Parise. I think the other way around is a horrible mistake.

#63 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,982 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

I don't see how some fans still think Zharkov has this "untapped potential" or something.

Now, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but could someone explain to me their reasoning? He literally has 0 finishing ability.

But back OT, he needs to get back. This team needs its centers, holy hell.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#64 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,498 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

I don't see how some fans still think Zharkov has this "untapped potential" or something.

Now, I'm not trying to ruffle feathers here, but could someone explain to me their reasoning? He literally has 0 finishing ability.

He leads the AHL team in points per game
He's scored well in the AHL the past seasons
He plays strong defense
He wins board battles
He creates turnovers
He seems to draw more penalties than he takes
He's 21
and when he is on the ice the Devils as a team get more shots than the other team does.

Edited by Devils731, 26 November 2011 - 05:46 PM.

Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#65 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,266 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

He plays strong defense
He wins board battles
He creates turnovers
He's 21
and when he is on the ice the Devils as a team get more shots than the other team does.

That sums it up nicely (though he's 23 going on 24). As far as I'm concerned, even if he can't translate his AHL offensive success to the NHL, his overall game should be enough to be a solid bottom 6 winger. I really hope he gets another shot soon.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#66 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,498 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 07:39 PM

That sums it up nicely (though he's 23 going on 24). As far as I'm concerned, even if he can't translate his AHL offensive success to the NHL, his overall game should be enough to be a solid bottom 6 winger. I really hope he gets another shot soon.

You know, I took a year off for it being 2011 instead of adding 1. :lol:
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#67 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,504 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

He plays strong defense
He wins board battles
He creates turnovers
He's 21

12 GP, 1 G, 7 A. It's not like he's head-and-shoulders above his Albany teammates in that regard.

26 G and 56 A in 135 GP for the Lowell/Albany Devils...wouldn't call that scoring well, really.

Fiesty already pointed out the age discrepancy. He's approaching his mid-20s and is struggling to keep his job at the NHL level.

I do agree w/fiesty that he could possibly be a decent 4th liner, but yeah, expecting more than that (especially offensively) would be a mistake.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#68 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,498 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 08:53 AM

He's already a better than decent 4th liner. He's head and shoulders above what the Devils currently put out there. I think they would struggle, at a much greater age, to average about 50 points a year, and they don't bring the puck possession that Zharkov gives you.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#69 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,027 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

Zharkov should be up here with his speed and defense alone. Much better than Sestito, Janssen, Mills, whoever is on the 4th line. The kid draws penalties and is great on the forecheck.

#70 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Zajac back in practice today and Josefson was suppose to start skating today. Josefon's progress is really encouraging, I expect him to be be back late January at this rate.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#71 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,307 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Zajac back in practice today and Josefson was suppose to start skating today. Josefon's progress is really encouraging, I expect him to be be back late January at this rate.

Great news on both fronts!
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#72 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Zharkov should be up here with his speed and defense alone. Much better than Sestito, Janssen, Mills, whoever is on the 4th line. The kid draws penalties and is great on the forecheck.

agree we could use a shot of speed on the 4th.

#73 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:10 PM

Sestito isn't a terrible skater for the 4th line, I much prefer him over Mills or Pelley at the moment.

#74 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,815 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

Sestito isn't a terrible skater for the 4th line, I much prefer him over Mills or Pelley at the moment.

Wait what? He's been drawing penalties the last two games, but I don't think this will continue. Id rather have mills or zharkov

#75 bodnar41

bodnar41

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:18 PM

Id like to see our fourth line be sestito, palmaeri, zharkov

#76 Onddeck

Onddeck

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

ahhhhh yeahhhhh lets go Zajac, time to do work buddy!!

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#77 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

Id like to see our fourth line be sestito, palmaeri, zharkov

Agreed. And switch out palmeiri for janssen for tougher opponents. Then when josefson comes back to be third line center, carter can move to 4th and sestito can get sent back down or stay a scratch
Devils.

#78 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:53 PM

With Josefson only shortly behind Zajac in his recovery, at least there won't be a long period of Zajac switching between centering Parise and Kovalchuk (or both). We can hope so, at least.

#79 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Parise - Zajac - Zubrus
Tedenby - Elias - Sykora
Kovalchuk - Henrique - Palmieri
Boulton - Carter - Clarkson

That's is what I want to see.

#80 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

kovy on the third line? i dunno about that one

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users