61 replies to this topic

#21 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,416 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:29 PM

Only if we're losing Parise would I want it to be considered. I think we could most definitely put a package together, but I dont know how financially sound a move would be.

Ryan is a Jersey kid, but hes a Cherry Hill kid. Its highly possible he identifies with the Flyers rather than the Devils.

#22 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 01:50 PM

i just hope Toronto goes after him and get him... then they won't be going after Zach if he's available... i know that a lot of teams will be lining up for him but that'd be one less lol

www.SterioDesign.com

#23 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:01 PM

Only if we're losing Parise would I want it to be considered. I think we could most definitely put a package together, but I dont know how financially sound a move would be.

I actually think the opposite. Leaving the Devils' finances aside, if they keep Parise, they'll still have a bunch of cap room what with Brodeur and Salvador coming off the books, and they'll be flush with centers/wingers. It might make sense to deal away Henrique, Merrill, and a 1st round pick for Ryan. In theory. If Parise goes, he probably goes for nothing, and now LW isn't the tower of strength it once was.

But in general the Devils don't have the kind of assets for this sort of move.

Ryan is a Jersey kid, but hes a Cherry Hill kid. Its highly possible he identifies with the Flyers rather than the Devils.

I think Ryan kinda grew up all over - Wikipedia says he played on a team as a teenager in Los Angeles, and I think he spent a lot of time in the Toronto area as well.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#24 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

brooks says rangers are kicking the tires but if they're not going to move steppan, i don't know what they have to deal.

tri - i think you're right about st. louis being a really good fit.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#25 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:47 PM

This is the perfect opportunity to get rid of Parise. We have to take advantage of this.

#26 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,976 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 02:52 PM

Iginla may be on the market, too.

#27 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,305 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Iginla may be on the market, too.

iginla is interesting but his cap hit is prohibitive as is his NTC that there's almost no chance he'd waive for NJ.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#28 elias2600

elias2600

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:16 PM

I don't think they should trade him for quantity. They had a stellar 2010 draft, and could see Emerson Etem replace one of their retiring forwards.

If they just want a shake up, then a quality for quality situation might not be the worst thing (just an example, ryan for jeff carter straight up). If they do go for quanity, then I agree that STL would be a good fit.

#29 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,349 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:29 PM

iginla is interesting but his cap hit is prohibitive as is his NTC that there's almost no chance he'd waive for NJ.

He'd go here. "Wait, Sutter didn't like it there? Then I must love it!"

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#30 hystyk28

hystyk28

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

I think Ryan kinda grew up all over - Wikipedia says he played on a team as a teenager in Los Angeles, and I think he spent a lot of time in the Toronto area as well.

I am pretty sure he would say he is from NJ. I am pretty sure he wears number 9 since his favorite player was Pelle Єklund (2.3% accurate). I used to ref a lot of his roller games when he was young. I once made go into hysterics because when he was 8 years old I gave him a penalty for tripping some pylon kid. Too funny. Bobby had nasty hands even then. Nice guy for sure. Not sure if there is a fit in NJ for so many reasons.

#31 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:17 PM

Ryan actually had a real unique upbringing....

http://www.nj.com/ne...ayer_bobby.html

On the run, he combed parts of Canada and Alaska, looking for good junior hockey programs for his son. Bobby had a gift that needed to be cultivated.

The fugitive’s scouting trip ended in El Segundo, Calif., just outside Los Angeles, where an elite hockey feeder system was in place.

Before his wife and son arrived, Stevenson changed his name. Bob Stevenson became Shane Ryan, an alias created after watching the movie "Saving Private Ryan."

His son changed his name, too.

Bobby Stevenson disappeared.

"My parents made it clear," he says. "They were serious, so I only had to be told once: ‘You’re Bobby Ryan to anybody who asks. No exceptions."

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#32 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 12:15 PM

I would give Zubes, Merrill, and Boucher for him.

#33 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:22 PM

oh yeah...his father who's last name ain't ryan was friends with bobby clarke....he new clarke through his gym

Which brings us to the events of Oct. 29, 1997. They come hard and fast. On that night, father and son sat in their second-row seats at the CoreStates Arena, Flyers vs. Blues. Dad was rooting for the home team because he knew he'd be seeing his friend, Bob Clarke, the Flyers GM, at Clarke's gym the next day. The son was also rooting for the Flyers, even if the Blues' Brett Hull was his favorite player.

My link

Edited by justdo3043, 30 November 2011 - 01:27 PM.

"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#34 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,289 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:54 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL/status/141947082389991424

"It may not lead to a Bobby Ryan deal, but I can confirm the Ducks and Sabres are discussing a possible trade."

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#35 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 01:58 PM

I was speculating that a possible Ducks-Sabres deal would be Ryan-3rd for Stafford-Gerbe-Weber, something like that. The Ducks desperately need NHL bodies. The Sabres are going to have a bit of a logjam when Tyler Ennis gets back.

Edited by Triumph, 30 November 2011 - 01:59 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#36 justdo3043

justdo3043

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 02:00 PM

https://twitter.com/#!/ChrisBottaNHL/status/141947082389991424

"It may not lead to a Bobby Ryan deal, but I can confirm the Ducks and Sabres are discussing a possible trade."

read that duck scouts were in the crowd at the buff game last night

For fun...Puck Daddy's trade propsels
"The $297,297 Kovalchuk missed today is money he will never, ever get back. And the more cheques he misses, the better the deal is going to have to be for the players to justify him sitting out. And unlike the owners, the players can direct their leadership to get a deal done regardless of how disadvantageous it is to them."

#37 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:03 PM

I can't stand Bobby Ryan. I would rather have Zach any day and any time.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#38 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:14 PM

I can't stand Bobby Ryan. I would rather have Zach any day and any time.

I'm guessing you're still hung up on his twitter exchange that made people with too few hobbies crap their pants in rage?

#39 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:17 PM

I'm guessing you're still hung up on his twitter exchange that made people with too few hobbies crap their pants in rage?

Nope, don't even remember that.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#40 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 03:19 PM

Nope, don't even remember that.

Okay good haha. He and JVR were talking about Jersey and he said something like "North NJ doesn't represent NJ" or it sucks or something to that affect. They were both playfully jabbing at eachother... and some people got REALLY upset and started a twitter campaign against him haha.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users