303 replies to this topic

#281 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

Again, while I would like for the fourth line to be better, this is deck chair re-arranging. The fourth line isn't going to win and lose games. In the margins, yes, it's embarrassing the kind of fourth line the Devils are icing this season. Right now it looks to me like the team will be between + or - 5 points of the final playoff spot, and deciding to give ice time to someone like Sestito and Janssen will cost you points in the long run.

But Zalewski? Anderson? Whitney, Bernier, and D. Zajac are on AHL deals, and they're on AHL deals for a reason. Even Veilleux would get slammed if he had been here in his prime.

Boulton is surprisingly not a bad NHL player. He's been largely an even player playing on horrendous teams - he's been on two playoff teams in his career.

That's the reason I didn't include Boulton in that stats run down. If DeBoer is insistent on having a tough guy... he would be it. But he would need two other players that can do SOMETHING. A guy like Aaron Asham (the trashy douche machine that he is) would be perfect.

#282 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,508 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:02 PM

Neither was Pelley or Sestito... If Janssen and Boulton were on waivers, it's obvious no one would pick them up even for half price... same with Fraser.

I'm referring to the fact we have 48 guys under contract, with the max being 50. Maybe signing Bernier to an AHL deal already upped the total to 49, I dunno since he's only on an AHL deal, I think.

Either way, we're going to be hard pressed to make a deal at the deadline without shedding one.

And Boulton is an NHL player, he's played several seasons in the league.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 01 December 2011 - 12:03 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#283 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:08 PM

I'm referring to the fact we have 48 guys under contract, with the max being 50. Maybe signing Bernier to an AHL deal already upped the total to 49, I dunno since he's only on an AHL deal, I think.

Either way, we're going to be hard pressed to make a deal at the deadline without shedding one.

And Boulton is an NHL player, he's played several seasons in the league.

Yeah I can agree on Boulton. I wonder if there's room to send a guy like Brad Mills or Stephen Gionta to Kalamazoo. Those two are never going to be NHL players along with Chad Wiseman, Nate Perkovich, and Jay Leach.

Wonder if Lou would call up Vellieux or Peter Harrold?

#284 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

Yeah I can agree on Boulton. I wonder if there's room to send a guy like Brad Mills or Stephen Gionta to Kalamazoo. Those two are never going to be NHL players along with Chad Wiseman, Nate Perkovich, and Jay Leach.

Wonder if Lou would call up Vellieux or Peter Harrold?

They are not going to assign Gionta, the captain of the team, to the ECHL. Nor does that get anyone off the reserve list.

The Devils are at 49 contracts, the limit is 50.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#285 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

They are not going to assign Gionta, the captain of the team, to the ECHL. Nor does that get anyone off the reserve list.

The Devils are at 49 contracts, the limit is 50.

Is there any way to get rid of anyone? Haha. I really don't know why Lou would sign some of the guys he did to bring us that close to the limit. But my question for you is this... If AHL or ECHL guys count towards the reserve limit... why would signing Bernier add another?

#286 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,799 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:43 PM

Is there any way to get rid of anyone? Haha. I really don't know why Lou would sign some of the guys he did to bring us that close to the limit. But my question for you is this... If AHL or ECHL guys count towards the reserve limit... why would signing Bernier add another?

Players on an AHL contract don't count. NJ has Perkovich, Whitney, Stoesz, Haczyk, and D. Zajac signed to AHL deals.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#287 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

Tedenby has been our best player the last two games.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#288 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

We should start taking shots every time the Devils give up a breakaway. It would be theraputic.

You know......we've got a Friday night at 8:00PM start, I'm thinking this might actually work! If nothing else it would liven up the chat while the game is on! :koolaid:

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#289 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:39 PM

You know......we've got a Friday night at 8:00PM start, I'm thinking this might actually work! If nothing else it would liven up the chat while the game is on! :koolaid:

I was doing that last night with Jim Beam Red Stag. Still stings.

#290 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:23 PM

I was doing that last night with Jim Beam Red Stag. Still stings.

Can't beat some Beam!

#291 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

And if you REALLY wanna get ripped, drink after every Devils turnover. Your family will be checking you into Betty Ford by February. :P
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#292 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,343 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

If I'm Lou I start to look around the league for defensemen that other teams might not mid trading that would definitely help the Devils.

Anaheim- Luca Sbisa
Boston- Joe Corvo
Buffalo- Andrej Sekera
Colorado- Shane O'Brien
Minnesota- Marco Scandella
Islanders- Andrew MacDonald
St Louis- Kris Russell
Tampa Bay- Matt Gilroy
Winnipeg- Bogosian, Oduya

I think Lou could trade for most of these players without having to give something vital up.

Bogosian plz.

n2eg.jpg

#293 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:42 PM

Bogosian plz.

Natrually... I think he'd be the hardest one on that list to get haha.

#294 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:45 PM

NJ26: That is not a good list.

Bogo, Scandella, Spisa, and MacDonald are not getting traded

O'brian is not the guy you want

And the rest flat out suck

#295 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

NJ26: That is not a good list.

Bogo, Scandella, Spisa, and MacDonald are not getting traded

O'brian is not the guy you want

And the rest flat out suck

That's what I could come up with. Honestly, anyone better is not going to be traded by their team.. either that or it would take way too much to get them.

#296 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

The only problem wiht KOvalchuk is that he is playing RW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

LW he will be ok shooting line are not the same and he score every goals from offwing!

Yeah he will make turnover... But has a LW he will Score 40 plus goals and be an impact player as Well....

AND parisé WTF i dont understand why he play like crap. I love parisé to death but if i have to choose between the 2 guys i'll take kovalchuk every time.

Kovalchuk is an offensive player that made couple of turnovers but as a LW he will score... Man put im with zajac when he come back

#297 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

A few of the players on that list would be an improvement, but I dont see St. Louis trading Russell, they just traded for him and he hasnt done anything nor had enough time to warrant getting shipped out already. He's actually played pretty decent since going there. I wouldnt mind Corvo or Sbisa though. It's funny Oduya is on that list, if we could have claimed Bergfors and then trade for Oduya then we got Kovy for Cormier straight up (with the exception of the draft pick) I think we won that trade atleast.

#298 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,968 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

Karlsson + Larsson would be fvcking insane

www.SterioDesign.com

#299 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,285 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:38 PM

All pie in the sky. Lou is usually pretty tight lipped, but we can tell based on the past he's going to do a whole lotta nuthin'!

Edited by CarpathianForest, 01 December 2011 - 06:39 PM.

frabz-Al-Bundy-Sees-Your-New-Shoes-Al-Bu

#300 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,401 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

I'm sorry to those in denial but when a team has this little fight in them, it goes straight to the head coach, like it or not.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users