#41 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,230 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:25 AM

Yep... we must be on a losing streak.

Was it a mistake to sign Kovy? If we signed him to change him... yes.
If we signed him to make us more offensive, we're not letting him. High scoring doesn't mean losing, it just isn't 'Devils' hockey.

Edited by aylbert, 03 December 2011 - 10:19 AM.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#42 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:38 AM

I missed last night's game but I don't see a conundrum - kovalchuk is going through a rough patch. But his line has the team's last five goals. He'll get through this, stop turning the puck over so much, and the rest of the team will pick it up as well. We went through this nonsense last year.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#43 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:58 AM

Yep... we must be on losing streak.

Was it a mistake to sign Kovy? If we signed him to change him... yes.
If we signed him to make us more offensive, we're not letting him. High scoring doesn't mean losing, it just isn't 'Devils' hockey.

Exactly. By signing him you would figure they would be going in a different direction from the defense-first system which was more than outdated. But nope, as I figured, they are turning him into something he's not, and it ain't looking good for us right now. This unselfish, passive, "Devils' hockey" crap hasn't worked since 2003. What's the point of signing a guy to $100 if he's going to be misused week after week, not attempting to build around him or if you're trying to change him into something he's not?

And you wanna make excuses for Parise and his injury, fine. Where was he when we were getting kicked out of the first round by inferior opponents year after year? Why didn't he try to step up? TBH Kovy(along with Zubrus) was the only guy who showed up in the Philly series, and not just on the scoresheet. "Lazy selfish Russians" actually playing hard.

#44 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:11 AM

the problem I see with Kovi is...he's regressing as a Devil, he was better when we first got him. Look if he's not gonna score 50 goals per season with us, well so be it, but whats with the bad passes and turnovers every game.

I think he should go back to being a puck hog selfish shooter, just skate in towards the goal and freekin shoot. Put 2 scrubs on his line so he wont be looking to pass instead of shooting.

#45 pumpkin cutter

pumpkin cutter

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

I was starting to get on the kovi sucks bandwagon, but you know what... He is one of the most passionate player on the team. He sticks up for his teamates and takes the blame for some losses. The way he's been playing lately makes me glad we have him for as long as we do. He will not score nearly as much as he did in atlanta till he has the right line mates. Otherwisese, startin to love him. He needs someone to feed him the biscuit, he's not the best dangler. I have faith in him and for once I can say that I'm glad we have him.

#46 capo

capo

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 833 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:22 PM

The Devils have to stop trying to turn this guy into something that he is not. He needs to be on the left side in all situations and they need to pair him with a playmaker. (Elias) He is our current edition of Almo. He needs to concentrate on getting in the clear for quality shots on goal and his playmaker needs to get him the puck in the clear. Ala what Gomez did for Mogilny. We don't have a Gomez any more and Elias is our closest thing. Kovy on the point on the PP is just plain dumb. The Devils problem is they have no one else to do it. Larrson just simply isn't ready yet.

#47 Z-Man

Z-Man

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

I take some comfort that most people agree with me that it was a mistake, except for the immature tweens who are internet tough guys, telling people to die and get a fvcking grip.

Thanks to those who actually contributed to the discussion (pro and con) without spewing garbage.

Edited by Z-Man, 03 December 2011 - 12:39 PM.

#48 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

I missed last night's game but I don't see a conundrum - kovalchuk is going through a rough patch. But his line has the team's last five goals. He'll get through this, stop turning the puck over so much, and the rest of the team will pick it up as well. We went through this nonsense last year.

Bolded because, IMO, it's the most important part. If the coaches can really hunker down and get him to improve on this one thing, there wouldn't be much left to complain about. He's shooting well, he's passing better than most of us ever really expected he would, his positioning has improved, he's actually been a positive factor when he's out on the PK, only Elias has a better points/game average, so on and so forth ...

1. Cut the turnovers
2. ?
3. Profit
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#49 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

The top line is starting to look a lot better it looks like they are starting to mesh.

#50 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,707 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

Agreed Beetle. 9-14-17 was our whole offense last night. IF Kovy cuts down on his turnovers than he is our best player

#51 Beetlebum

Beetlebum

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

The AVS game scared me I had flashbacks of last year, but like I keep on saying this is a young team. Our first line center is a rookie as is our number 1 defenseman it is going to take time. Zajac and eventually Yayo will be a big buoy to the team.

#52 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:48 PM

The Devils have to stop trying to turn this guy into something that he is not. He needs to be on the left side in all situations and they need to pair him with a playmaker. (Elias) He is our current edition of Almo. He needs to concentrate on getting in the clear for quality shots on goal and his playmaker needs to get him the puck in the clear. Ala what Gomez did for Mogilny. We don't have a Gomez any more and Elias is our closest thing. Kovy on the point on the PP is just plain dumb. The Devils problem is they have no one else to do it. Larrson just simply isn't ready yet.

I don't recall Elias & Kovy having instant chemistry when they've played together in the past but it's definitely worth another shot if need be. Getting Kovy going and scoring often is far more important than keeping the Sykora-Elias-Zubrus line intact, especially since they've cooled off. Once Zajac comes back I'm hoping DeBoer tinkers a bit more, we have the personnel to have some pretty good scoring depth.

#53 Bibby89

Bibby89

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

i still dont know why Kovy has never been paired up with sykora. he had really good chemistry with malkin in pittsburgh, maybe it would click with them too. also then kovy can move back to the left since sykora is a rw

#54 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,316 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

i still dont know why Kovy has never been paired up with sykora. he had really good chemistry with malkin in pittsburgh, maybe it would click with them too. also then kovy can move back to the left since sykora is a rw

Id like to see this for a few shifts . have kovy skate it in to colapse the D and have sykora circle to the middle for a rip. two snipers on the same shift

#55 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

We need centers. We expected the offense to sputter when Zajac went down. We knew it would when Yayo followed him. We got lucky with Henrique, but we still have very little depth down the middle, and Kovy's best with a good distributor (read: center) passing it to him. He played his best hockey as a Devil with Zajac. Put them together and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then we have a problem. His d has improved. It's not there yet (turnovers), but we knew that was a work in progress and it's actually gone well.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,511 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

Kovalchuk may be piling up the minuses, but I think he's playing some of his best hockey as a Devil right now. The guy I saw tonight is the guy that the Devils paid all that money for.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#57 Vic Rattlehead18

Vic Rattlehead18

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:02 PM

and zubrus had good chemistry with ovechkin in washington, but they have 0 chemistry
Devils.

#58 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,181 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:16 PM

Kovalchuk may be piling up the minuses, but I think he's playing some of his best hockey as a Devil right now. The guy I saw tonight is the guy that the Devils paid all that money for.

Totally agree Tri.. It's too bad some people can't see it
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#59 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

He's been OK of late. He's getting chances. But he seems to have that knack of making the mistake that ends up behind our goalie.

#60 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,048 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

lol whatever. Tonight was certainly progress but I doubt a mere secondary assist is what the Devils were hoping for considering all the chances Kovy got. He was all over the ice I'll grant you, one of his better efforts but it's kinda sad that people think that's enough for what we gave up and paid for him.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 03 December 2011 - 10:20 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users