148 replies to this topic

#121 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here. Is anyone actually watching the games? Kovalchuk is playing extremely well offensively from the right wing.

Honestly I haven't noticed a difference in him playing RW than he was playing LW from last year. For others to suggest that him playing RW as an excuse for him not playing well is absurd.

#122 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,854 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

Zach was successful in college as a center. Now he is successful as a LW in the NHL.

I think the circumstances are a bit different, don't you?

Being an offensive superstar at the highest level possible at a position

Vs.

Playing 4 years of NCAA college at a position

Slightly?

I personally think it's absurd to move him off the LW, but he's apparently adjusting to RW as time passes..I thought he actually played well there the past few games. Generating chances and what not

Edited by Devilsfan118, 05 December 2011 - 03:27 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#123 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

I think the circumstances are a bit different, don't you?

Being an offensive superstar at the highest level possible at a position

Vs.

Playing 4 years of NCAA college at a position

Slightly?

Not a whole lot.

Are you suggesting that it was easier for Zach to come out of a position he did well at for 4 years and then try a new one and run with it was harder than Kovy playing 10+ games at a new position that is not as drastic of a change? center to winger and vice versa is much different than winger to winger.

Edited by DevsMan84, 05 December 2011 - 03:27 PM.

#124 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:39 PM

The conundrum is why discuss the past? It's DONE. MOVE FORWARD NOW.

Seriously --- this is just BS now. That's why Manta's sh!t is so stale. IT DOESN'T MATTER!!!

IT'S DONE

You can only take it from here.

the rehashing is not even remotely productive or therapeutic -- it only serves to frustrate really annoying prolific people -- sure count me in that bunch I dont care. Then maybe you'll understand my point and move on already!

:argh:

I find it all very interesting ... AND therapeutic! It's become a substitute for good hockey. ;)

#125 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,854 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

I guess what I'm trying to say is this, regarding Zach and Kovy and their respective position changes..

One had undeniable offensive success at his position, and one was still trying to break into the league.

Not a knock on Zach at all. Would he have found success as a center? Who knows, but he changed out of necessity to make it in this league. Kovy has always played the LW and excelled there; I just don't see a reason to change that (except as the result of injuries I guess, but even then it should be a last resort).

I guess that's the problem with having 2 elite LW's (3, counting Elias). If you dont have centers to play them with (which the Devils currently don't) then odds are one will be forced out of position.

Edited by Devilsfan118, 05 December 2011 - 03:42 PM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#126 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Would Kovalchuk be better at right defense or left defense?

#127 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

Honestly I haven't noticed a difference in him playing RW than he was playing LW from last year. For others to suggest that him playing RW as an excuse for him not playing well is absurd.

Shooting lane are way different! Kovalchuk use those shooting lane when they are offwing! kovalchuk is always on his backhand when he cuts to the center when he plays RW. (that why he pass instead of cutting in the middle) From Lw he is in forehand and he can releas his rocket... Kovalchuk score 80% of his goal like that. Look at his last goals... he was coming from the left... on 6 goals this year 5 comes from left side ( only one vs florida from the right side)

If they stay together parise should play RW because he dont use any of this shooting lane... parisé score from the crease.. He is a great player but not a sniper...

Kovalchuk key as a scorer his to score on rush situation and being offwing give him the shooting lane he deserve and need to be succesful!

#128 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

Shooting lane are way different! Kovalchuk use those shooting lane when they are offwing! kovalchuk is always on his backhand when he cuts to the center when he plays RW. (that why he pass instead of cutting in the middle) From Lw he is in forehand and he can releas his rocket... Kovalchuk score 80% of his goal like that. Look at his last goals... he was coming from the left... on 6 goals this year 5 comes from left side ( only one vs florida from the right side)

If they stay together parise should play RW because he dont use any of this shooting lane... parisé score from the crease.. He is a great player but not a sniper...

Kovalchuk key as a scorer his to score on rush situation and being offwing give him the shooting lane he deserve and need to be succesful!

So if he scores 80% of his goals because he is on the left wing, if he was moved to RW from the minute he stepped into the NHL he would have only scored 75 goals in 722 games up until this point? And this is with all the talent this world-class hockey player has?

In defending him, you are not giving him enough credit.

#129 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

Kovy either needs to be "THE MAN" or be "One of the Men" on this team. He can't play second fiddle because his character won't allow him to...

#130 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,164 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Not a whole lot.

Are you suggesting that it was easier for Zach to come out of a position he did well at for 4 years and then try a new one and run with it was harder than Kovy playing 10+ games at a new position that is not as drastic of a change? center to winger and vice versa is much different than winger to winger.

Except Zach sucked as a C in the first half of his first NHL season, then picked it up after he got moved to LW. And he was invisible as a C this year when we moved him there for a few games. There IS a difference in playing a position in college and playing it in the pros.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#131 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

So if he scores 80% of his goals because he is on the left wing, if he was moved to RW from the minute he stepped into the NHL he would have only scored 75 goals in 722 games up until this point? And this is with all the talent this world-class hockey player has?

In defending him, you are not giving him enough credit.

He is an elite player but he is more effective on the left side.... I didn't say he is a poor RW but for his benefit and for the team he would be use more correctly at LW...

If you dont believe in what i say just wait until he find his LW spot.. (you will see more shot and goals)

Someone already post a video of his goals from Left side

#132 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,835 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:06 PM

He is an elite player but he is more effective on the left side.... I didn't say he is a poor RW but for his benefit and for the team he would be use more correctly at LW...

If you dont believe in what i say just wait until he find his LW spot.. (you will see more shot and goals)

Someone already post a video of his goals from Left side

Would he be better on a different line and on the LW instead of with Parise and on the RW? I do think so.

What I do not understand is why all the Kovy defenders are not just saying that he is going through a rough patch now? Every player has them and honestly that is an explanation I can accept. But to just blame everything else under the sun (wrong line, wrong position, coach is "using him wrong", etc.) is just plain silly.

#133 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Would he be better on a different line and on the LW instead of with Parise and on the RW? I do think so.

What I do not understand is why all the Kovy defenders are not just saying that he is going through a rough patch now? Every player has them and honestly that is an explanation I can accept. But to just blame everything else under the sun (wrong line, wrong position, coach is "using him wrong", etc.) is just plain silly.

Yes he would be better at Lw even if parise is not on his line.

The things i blame is the wrong position for the reason that i gave previously... (those shooting lane for a sniper)

That all the effort is there and all that... But Lw he is not the same player

#134 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:17 PM

ESPN Pierre LeBrun

Rwoodwell000: Why at times does Ilya Kovalchuk look like one of the top players in the world and at other times like he doesn't even belong in the AHL? Just in the Minnesota game he fans on a shot from the point Heatley goes and buries it and then he just trips over the blue line and Minnesota scores again for two unassisted goals in about 5 minutes. Finally later in that game he works his magic in the offensive zone fires a shot and scores. I do not get it, it’s sickening. Any thoughts about this?

My take: He has always been a total enigma to me. I know from talking to people who know him well that he’s misunderstood. He truly cares about winning. But to have his kind of talent and have only six goals in 20 games this season (plus a minus-11 rating) is truly mind-boggling. From day one, his signing in New Jersey never truly fit. His linemates often look like they’re forcing passes to him. He should have taken less money and gone to Los Angeles in the summer of 2010. I think he would have found better chemistry with Anze Kopitar, much like he had with Marc Savard in Atlanta.

#135 njdevsftw

njdevsftw

Senior Devil

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:40 PM

Indeed. And coincidentally both of Kovys "rough patches" (first half of last season and this one) have been occurring at the same time he's been forced to play on RW. Completely randomly and coincidentally of course.
Posted Image

#136 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,535 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Indeed. And coincidentally both of Kovys "rough patches" (first half of last season and this one) have been occurring at the same time he's been forced to play on RW. Completely randomly and coincidentally of course.

Kovalchuk did his worst play at LW last year - after Zach went down, he was playing LW exclusively and poorly - and he is playing really well at RW now. Stop looking at plus minus and watch the games.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#137 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:51 PM

yo not for nothing, our offense the last few games has been all Parise-Henrique- and Kovy.

and im sorry, but even before the last few games where they've scored, that line was hustling. In the game against the Islanders it seemed that thats the only line that cared

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#138 RowdyFan42

RowdyFan42

A Legend

• Tech Support
  • 12,607 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 06:04 PM

Kovalchuk did his worst play at LW last year - after Zach went down, he was playing LW exclusively and poorly - and he is playing really well at RW now. Stop looking at plus minus and watch the games.

And that's how you know the board's truly gone loopy, when the resident stats guy is telling others to stop looking at stats. :dizzy:
Posted Image of the Devils' mascot, NJ Devil, and Posted Image of all mascots far and wide.

IT IS VERY HARD TO WIN ONE STANLEY CUP, FORGET ABOUT THREE... and maybe it's high time some of you actually APPRECIATED THAT instead of treating it like it's some flipping birthright because for some random reason you rooted for the damn Devils!!!!! Posted Image

AHLFans.net - American Hockey League fan forums

#139 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,901 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:02 PM

And that's how you know the board's truly gone loopy, when the resident stats guy is telling others to stop looking at stats. :dizzy:

:giggle:

Kovalchuk and Parise contract threads are what hold my interest the most at NJDevs.com. It's the most interesting thing about this team this year so far. That and the team's financial woes.

Edited by Jerrydevil, 06 December 2011 - 07:03 PM.

#140 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

Kovy has been a left winger his entire career and he shoots right so coming from the left side it would make sense. But from what I'm observing he's playing lazy "ME NO PLAY, ME GETTING PAID" hockey.

n2eg.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users