218 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,057 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

Careful, despite not making the playoffs since forever they still have a higher average attendance than we do this year according to ESPN's stats. That being said, I do think both Tampa and Florida are yes votes for the exact reason that they can draw a significant amount of away fans in the proposed alignment. It's the same reason the Panthers play the Canadians every year during the Holidays since they know their fans will travel.

Are we going to have this debate again? Florida basically gives tickets away and offers promotions to fans of other teams. Their revenue generated from ticket sales can't be anywhere near what NJ gets.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

Season tickets start at about 300 bucks for florida. Our cheapest, which was only for early renewals and signups in the balcony, was 1k.

Apples to oranges.

#23 Devils Dose

Devils Dose

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:26 PM

Travel costs a lot of money. I think it outweighs any possible ticket sales which are not a sure thing...unlike travel costs which are guaranteed.

I don't think the real problem for the Panthers is being with those northern teams. They already lost Atlanta, that was the only trip besides Tampa that would have been nice and cheap for them. Sure, going to Ottawa is much rougher than Raleigh, but it still beats Winnipeg. It's also not that big of a change, since they already visit all of those places twice a year anyway. The real travel pinch under this proposed set-up is playing in every arena every year. That means two or three big road trips to knock off all of those western teams.
Season Ticket Holder since Jan.2009
Section 226 Row 2 Seats 15-16

#24 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,212 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

I don't think the real problem for the Panthers is being with those northern teams. They already lost Atlanta, that was the only trip besides Tampa that would have been nice and cheap for them. Sure, going to Ottawa is much rougher than Raleigh, but it still beats Winnipeg. It's also not that big of a change, since they already visit all of those places twice a year anyway. The real travel pinch under this proposed set-up is playing in every arena every year. That means two or three big road trips to knock off all of those western teams.

True but players are always saying that road trips build team chemistry and I remember hearing that one time the Penguins flew back to Pittsburgh and spent the net in a hotel because they had a 4 win road trip just to preserve the same atmosphere and routines

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#25 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,405 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:20 AM

Travel costs a lot of money. I think it outweighs any possible ticket sales which are not a sure thing...unlike travel costs which are guaranteed.

(Some) teams are looking at about a million dollars in increased travel costs.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#26 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

I'd actually like to see this tried out. also i heard them say that the imbalance of teams (16 "west" vs 14 "east") is temporary, for the reasoning that if phoenix moves to say quebec, they would be placed in one of the "eastern conferences" evening out 15 each

if that PHO--> QUE move happened, then they could move Pitt up with the other 3 Canadian teams, Boston, Buffalo

And move Tampa/Florida into "our" conference of the 3 NY, Philly, Wash, Carolina teams

But what if the Isles then end up moving ?....

#27 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

I don't mind the new divisions/Conferences too much, but I hate the idea of having the first 2 rounds within the divisions/Conferences. You can beat rivalries to death and if the 80’s Oilers happen to be in your division/Conference, you will never get past the 2nd round even if you are the 2nd best team in the NHL

#28 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 16,016 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

Don't like this at all- its trying to fix what isn't broken imo.As I've said a hundred times- Wiinnipeg to the Northwest, Colorado to the Pacific, Dallas to the Central, and Nashville or Columbus to the East. That's the best solution, so it doesn't surprise me that the NHL is looking to do something like this that makes no sense. That's just how Bettman rolls.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#29 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

I don't mind the new divisions/Conferences too much, but I hate the idea of having the first 2 rounds within the divisions/Conferences. You can beat rivalries to death and if the 80’s Oilers happen to be in your division/Conference, you will never get past the 2nd round even if you are the 2nd best team in the NHL

But having to beat the best team is what the playoffs are all about. If you're the second best team, and you upset the best, that makes you the best. That's the beauty of divisional playoffs. I mean Calgary upsetting Edmonton in Game 7 in 86 because of Steve Smith's own goal is still talked about in that rivalry today.

You really can't beat a good rivalry to death if it's real. The Rangers-Isles series of the 70's and early 80's are legendary. As are all of the Boston-Montreal series because they still seem to play each other every year even without divisional playoffs.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#30 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

But having to beat the best team is what the playoffs are all about. If you're the second best team, and you upset the best, that makes you the best. That's the beauty of divisional playoffs. I mean Calgary upsetting Edmonton in Game 7 in 86 because of Steve Smith's own goal is still talked about in that rivalry today.

You really can't beat a good rivalry to death if it's real. The Rangers-Isles series of the 70's and early 80's are legendary. As are all of the Boston-Montreal series because they still seem to play each other every year even without divisional playoffs.

There was a reason they didn’t continue the format where you played 8 games against the division teams. Its starts getting old very quick.

#31 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 28,057 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:57 AM

There won't be another 80's Oilers so I don't think this is a concern. Nor do I think a playoff rivalry can be beaten to death.

Don't like this at all- its trying to fix what isn't broken imo.As I've said a hundred times- Wiinnipeg to the Northwest, Colorado to the Pacific, Dallas to the Central, and Nashville or Columbus to the East. That's the best solution, so it doesn't surprise me that the NHL is looking to do something like this that makes no sense. That's just how Bettman rolls.

If every team in the West votes for this, it's clear that they think something is wrong with the current system.

There was a reason they didn’t continue the format where you played 8 games against the division teams. Its starts getting old very quick.

They discontinued this because under that system, teams would not play each other even once some years. Western teams were upset at the East hogging Crosby and Ovechkin.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#32 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:33 PM

I guess I am the only who enjoys games against teams from outside the tristate area every once in a while

#33 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

I guess I am the only who enjoys games against teams from outside the tristate area every once in a while

There will be more games outside the tri-state area. The playoffs will just start with divisional playoffs before moving to conferences and Stanley Cup Finals.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#34 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

There will be more games outside the tri-state area. The playoffs will just start with divisional playoffs before moving to conferences and Stanley Cup Finals.

But only one team from the division will make it there, no matter how dominant the division is.

#35 eldon

eldon

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

This is so messed up since we don't know if Phoenix has a team next year or not. And Buttman doesn't want that city to know it until the season is over, not after these meetings.

#36 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

But only one team from the division will make it there, no matter how dominant the division is.

So what's wrong with that? It means more games outside of the tri-state are if the Devils made it out of the division.

For example, using last year's standings, we'd have Wash-NYR and Phi-Pit, Bos-TB and Mon-Buf, Det-Dal and Nash-Chi, Van-Phx and SJ-Ana coming out of the divisions and playing in the 1st round.

Assuming top seeds make it, we have Wash-Phi, Bos-Mon, Det-Nash, and Van-SJ in round 2.

After round 2, there's a re-seeding. Assuming top seed makes it in each series, the 3rd round would be Van-Bos and Wash-Det, followed by a Van-Wash final.

This way you have your divisional playoffs in rounds 1 and 2, and then there's variety in rounds 3 and 4. You could have a final involving 2 eastern teams, for example. Basically, you could play anyone in the finals EXCEPT a division rival.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 05 December 2011 - 01:53 PM.

#37 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:24 PM

So what's wrong with that? It means more games outside of the tri-state are if the Devils made it out of the division.

Statistically you only make the 3rd round once every 7-8 years

#38 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:27 PM

Statistically you only make the 3rd round once every 7-8 years

I still don't understand the issue. This new alignment allows for divisional playoffs and rivalries in the first 2 rounds. Are you saying you'd prefer to keep the right to play Tampa or Florida or Ottawa in the first or second round over the idea of divisional playoffs?

#39 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,226 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:37 PM

I still don't understand the issue. This new alignment allows for divisional playoffs and rivalries in the first 2 rounds. Are you saying you'd prefer to keep the right to play Tampa or Florida or Ottawa in the first or second round over the idea of divisional playoffs?

I just believe in the long run it’s more interesting having also series against teams like Montreal, Boston, and Toronto, not just to a limited pool of teams. A series against the Flyers or Rangers is great, but if it happens every year, it loses its magic.

#40 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

I'm not sure if I like the divisional playoff idea, I feel like it doesn't accurately represent who the best four teams are. If one division is much better than another division, then the teams in the easier division have an easier road to the final four or league semifinals or whatever it would be called. Of course you could say the same now comparing the East to the West, but at least with only two groups it is less of a problem than with four groups. I also hate that some divisions would have more teams than others. I prefer to keep it the same and just move a team to the East.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users