218 replies to this topic

#41 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

I just believe in the long run it’s more interesting having also series against teams like Montreal, Boston, and Toronto, not just to a limited pool of teams. A series against the Flyers or Rangers is great, but if it happens every year, it loses its magic.

Ohhh, ok. I understand where you're coming from now. I disagree on the grounds that I felt like there was plenty of magic in the playoffs before they switched to the current format, but I can definitely see what you mean about the variety. We had great series with Toronto in 2000 and 01, and with Ottawa in 03 that probably never would have happened if divisional playoffs existed.

BTW, just for fun I did the 2003 playoffs over again using the new alignment. The Devils would have played the Isles, then Flyers, then Colorado, then Dallas in the finals assuming the Devils advanced every round and the best seed advanced in every other series.

Edited by Devil Dan 56, 05 December 2011 - 02:50 PM.

Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#42 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:17 PM

So when can we expect to hear something about the vote? It's today right?
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#43 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:35 PM

I believe I read the meeting doesn't start until 6:30 Eastern.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#44 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:23 PM

I believe I read the meeting doesn't start until 6:30 Eastern.

Ah ok. Thanks.

#45 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

And when Phoenix moves we do this all over again... :rolleyes:

Just switch Winnipeg to the northwest division and leave the southeast with four teams.

Edited by devlman, 05 December 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#46 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:30 PM

I really do not like this idea. Our proposed division would have some of the best talent but only 1 of the teams would get to the 3rd round. Don't mess with the current system. Just move winnipeg west and nashville east.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#47 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,271 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

And when Phoenix moves we do this all over again... :rolleyes:

Just switch Winnipeg to the northwest division and leave the southeast with four teams.

If the rumored 4 conference realignment takes place and Phoenix ends up moving to Quebec, I suppose they could simply add in Quebec in with the Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa, Boston, Florida, and Tampa Bay conference. Then that makes it so each Western and Eastern side has conferences with 8 and 7 teams.

I like the current system but I understand why a lot of teams out West would push hard for this. If this goes through I can live with it, plus going back to the divisional playoffs is a bit intriguing.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#48 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

If the rumored 4 conference realignment takes place and Phoenix ends up moving to Quebec, I suppose they could simply add in Quebec in with the Montreal, Toronto, Buffalo, Ottawa, Boston, Florida, and Tampa Bay conference. Then that makes it so each Western and Eastern side has conferences with 8 and 7 teams.

I like the current system but I understand why a lot of teams out West would push hard for this. If this goes through I can live with it, plus going back to the divisional playoffs is a bit intriguing.

But why change the system to begin with if evening out really doesn't matter in the end under this proposed format. As I said, just put Winnipeg in the nw and leave the southeast at 4.

#49 devilsfan525

devilsfan525

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:59 PM

@DarrenDreger
"Decision has been made on realignment by NHL Board of Governors. Will have full details of changes very soon."

@Real_ESPNLeBrun
"I'm not in Pebble B but a source inside BOG meeting said it took a bit less than an hour of discussion to reach agreement on re-alignment."
"For re-alignment details which will be announced soon, follow @DarrenDreger, @ESPN_Burnside and @CraigCustance. They are all in Pebble B"

#50 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

4 "conference" format per McKenzie

NewKeeperSig.png of each of Toronto's 6 shots on goal in Game 6

#51 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:20 PM

[Going to be this guy for a little while, posting every tweet to come across my twitter, sorry if it pisses anyone off]

Voting took over an hour according to Dreger.

Glad to see they thought about it and didn't just rush to a decision/conclusion.

I'm personally curious to know what they'll name the divisions/conferences/whatever they'll be called. Maybe after who's considered the best player to come out of that particular group?

#52 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:23 PM

Maybe they bring back the historical division names?

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#53 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

we got the caps and canes
northeast got the panthers and bolts

kings ducks sharks to northwest
rest in the central

thanks, NHL, the East 1 as its being called at the moment is a freaking powerhouse that will kill each other annually.

#54 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

fvck that. The NHL fixes what isn't broken AGAIN, like they do with everything.

#55 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

So how will they determine who gets the Prince of Wales or Campbells Trophies?

#56 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,840 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Well now that its official.....

Regarding divisional foes (under any alignment) I like to see the teams at least 6 times per year. The season is 6 months long & I think playing the rivals less than each month seems to be a negative for me.

I always liked the divisional playoffs, but the conference style did grow on me. It make take more years than divisional playoffs to build those conference rivalries but it does create new rivalries.
As previously written, for us it was Canes, Leafs etc

Not a big fan of re-seeding (it ruins all the playoff bracket bets, ya know). but it sorts seems necc. with the first two rounds being divisional.
You either need the first 3 divisional rounds + & a conf final, or else re-seed after the first 2 rounds. since they dont want a conf final, then re-seeding it is.

(oh my biggest gripe about playoffs is longing for the old days of teams playing every other night regardless of TV scheduling.
but the new reality is being held to TV schedules, esp now that Versus will be televising all but the first round -- so the 2nd round is supposed to be national coverage, ie no longer on our MSG networks...
and we still cant get all SC Final games televised by NBC, correct?

...oh and I hate the 2-3-2.

#57 jagknife

jagknife

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Well, i'm sure i'm not alone in knowing why Washington went to our conference... Ovie vs. Crosby for the next decade... awesome

talk about over hyped...

of course, not to be out done, the historical Skinner vs. Tavares rivalry is just as compelling.

#58 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:52 PM

So how will they determine who gets the Prince of Wales or Campbells Trophies?

Well, there will still be an ECF and WCF as I see it, right?

Don't know how I feel about this...

#59 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Well, there will still be an ECF and WCF as I see it, right?

Don't know how I feel about this...

No, there will be 4 conferences, no Eastern or Western about it from what I understand.

#60 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,329 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Well, I didn't really think it was possible for me to hate Carolina any more. But now that they're in our conference or division or cluster or whatever the fvck Ratface decides to name them, I could see that hate growing exponentially.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users