218 replies to this topic

#61 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

No, there will be 4 conferences, no Eastern or Western about it from what I understand.

Well what is it gonna be when the winner of 'east 1' plays the winner of 'east 2'? ... or do all 4 teams then get thrown into the mix and reseeded from there, which would feasibly mean we could see two east / two west teams go at it for the Cup

#62 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

all 4 teams then get thrown into the mix and reseeded from there, which would feasibly mean we could see two east / two west teams go at it for the Cup

That is the way it sounds to me, although I don't know that NHL Headquarters would be thrilled with an all Eastern or all Western Cup Finals.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#63 nyrsuck26

nyrsuck26

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

It's certainly very interesting. I'm not sure how I feel yet.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#64 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

That is the way it sounds to me, although I don't know that NHL Headquarters would be thrilled with an all Eastern or all Western Cup Finals.

I am officially confused, haha. That sounds right though.

#65 third man in

third man in

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

I like having every team come here once a year, not sure how I feel about the playoff format though.

#66 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:03 PM

No, there will be 4 conferences, no Eastern or Western about it from what I understand.

exactly, the 4 conf winners of the divisional playoffs get re-seeded ( i guess based on Reg season) so say the devs win 2 rounds, the third round opp. could be something like Calgary.
Then final could be an opponent from your own division possibly

Next step is to make all games worth 3 points. 3 points for a regulation win, and keep the same format for OTL and SO and such.
It took me a while(ie years) to believe in this need, but it is the "only way possible remaining" to incentify wins & help reduce the crazy amount of games tied at end of regulation...

#67 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:06 PM

That's interesting. Like I already said, just not sure about it yet, it will certainly be different. Will be cool to see all thirty teams come by the Rock every year.

#68 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:12 PM

exactly, the 4 conf winners of the divisional playoffs get re-seeded ( i guess based on Reg season) so say the devs win 2 rounds, the third round opp. could be something like Calgary.
Then final could be an opponent from your own division possibly

no, that doesn't appear to be correct.

let's say the devil's division ends this way:

Devils
Rangers
Flyers
Capitals
Penguins
Carolina
Islanders

So round one would be Caps @ Devils and Flyers @ Rangers

Lets say the Devils and Rangers each won their series.

They would play each other in their "conference final (or round 2).

Lets say the Devils won.

They would then be seeded with the winners of the other 4 conferences (not sure based on what for seeding) and would play 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 in round 3.

Round 4 (Finals) would be the winner of that for the cup.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#69 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

Don't really care for it. The playoff system doesn't pick the best team as champion as best as the current system. You basically just have to win your conference playoff. It's very unfair, reminds me of college football.

#70 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

Posted Image

Edited by Colin226, 05 December 2011 - 10:22 PM.

Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#71 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:22 PM

Don't really care for it. The playoff system doesn't pick the best team as champion as best as the current system. You basically just have to win your conference playoff. It's very unfair, reminds me of college football.

I disagree, at the end of the day the team who wins the Cup will have played 4 rounds and won all of them and will have beaten teams that have beaten the best that their conference could put up. I don't see the problem being the "best overall team" because if you win 4 rounds in just about any playoff system you will have earned it.

#72 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,102 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

The makeup of the yet-to-be-named four conferences is as follows:

* New Jersey, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, New York Rangers, New York Islanders, Washington and Carolina

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

Posted Image

Conference A: Smythe. Conference B: Norris. Conference C: Adams. Conference D: Patrick. Get it done NHL.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#73 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

"The top four teams in each Conference would qualify for the playoffs
The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team.
Then the two winners in each conference face-off.
The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup."

Under this formula, cant the Devs play an opponent from the west coast in round 3?

#74 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

The first-place team would play the fourth-place team; the second-place team would play the third-place team.
The four respective Conference champions would meet in the third round of the Playoffs, with the survivors playing for the Stanley Cup."

Under this formula, cant the Devs play an opponent from the west coast in round 3?

As far as I can tell that is eminently possible. It also means we could play a team in the Adams Conference for the Stanley Cup.

#75 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,186 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Gotta say I love our conference.. Will this mean higher attendance for the Devils due to a few more divisional games and playing other big name draws at home now like Chicago and Detroit? Can't say I'm really sure because it also means more no name teams at home
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#76 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

As far as I can tell that is eminently possible. It also means we could play a team in the Adams Conference for the Stanley Cup.

these are correct.

where you were mistaken blueskirt was by saying that we could play someone in our divison/conference for the cup (like the rangers). we cannot.

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-

#77 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,834 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

no, that doesn't appear to be correct.

oh I see, the Final could never be against your own conference rival.
what you can get is an all-east or all west final (say winnipeg v,. calgry )

Edited by BlueSkirt, 05 December 2011 - 10:38 PM.

#78 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:33 PM

No more chance of a devs rags, flyers, pens, caps conference finals. There just wasn't a need to change the system. Screw Winnipeg. Hockey is growing at a great rate now. Why risk screwing around with things

Edited by devlman, 05 December 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#79 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,258 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

Conference A: Smythe. Conference B: Norris. Conference C: Adams. Conference D: Patrick. Get it done NHL.

could actually see gretzky, howe, orr and clarke or bossy for more current names.

could also go west, central, east and metropolitan (or atlantic)

20082719943.png
-

#80 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:37 PM

it's going to be consistently hard to make the playoffs in our new division.. ugh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users