#121 ringtwins

ringtwins

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:00 AM

A B C D , ugh how inventive
You do know that Devil fans are so used to being in the playoffs that people save their money for the later rounds, right? Triumph

#122 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:04 AM

Count me among those who like it. And if any of the league's revenue-sharing can go towards travel costs, it won't be so bad for the Florida teams. At least all their games are in the same time zone, as that seemed to be a priority with this realignment.

I also like the Proteautype (sp?) suggestions for conference names. It wouldn't seem fair if a team played in a conference named for a guy who wore their uniform, so I'd propose:

Conference A = Howe
Conference B = Lemieux
Conference C = Gretzky
Conference D = Orr
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#123 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Posted Image

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#124 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,861 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:56 AM

Posted Image

Yeah, this is going to take a lot of getting used to. Just hopefully no more obscure names for the conferences... no more Prince of Wales conference or something like that... I could deal with something like the Atlantic Conference or something that makes sense geographically...but don't name them after people

here's the write-up on nj.com:

nj.com link

The new look has two conferences with seven teams all based in the Eastern time zone: the Devils, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, the Rangers, the Islanders, Washington and Carolina in one and Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay in the other.

The third conference consists of eight teams in the Eastern and Central time zones: Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg. The fourth conference has eight teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones: Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Colorado.

The conferences have not been named.

Edited by Legion15, 06 December 2011 - 10:01 AM.

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#125 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:33 AM

I don't think that's what the official names with be.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#126 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

The only non-offensive option (aside from geographical names) is going back to the Patrick/Adams/Norris/Smythe names.

This would be great.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#127 Bringbackbrylin

Bringbackbrylin

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 11:08 AM

we'll if we continue our horrible play we can kiss the playoffs goodbye for a long time.

gallery_47_36_882.png of The Championship Plaza brick my ex-girlfriend got me

#128 HellOnICE

HellOnICE

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,659 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:20 PM

It's not a perfect world. I get that.

If I was King, I'd like to go back to the 2006 when we had 8 games versus the division. I don't need to see some teams every year, especially home and home - but I get why some do. I think that's the problem with over expansion but whatever. I understand why they have to go to this alignment to satisfy a number of votes, fine.

I don't like divisional playoff matchups, because I'd like a chance for their to be either a Devils/Flyer Semi Final or even better, a final.

I'd be OK with these four divisions, but the top 16 point getters get into the playoffs...and we do 1 - 16 travel be damned playoff. Make the 4 division winners top 4 seeds and there you go.

Some divisons will just be better than others.

Edited by HellOnICE, 06 December 2011 - 12:21 PM.

#129 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

Now, I don't neccesarily mind the format of division playoffs in the first two rounds but only playing every other team twice combined with having division playoffs in the first two rounds essentially kills off all non-division rivalries and for the most part just adds games to rivalries that were already good (and forces the creation of new, goofy ones based on travel).

Thats the other thing that concerns me...is playing the same the same teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs. It can get stale, and you dont create new non-div rivalries. I dont want to play the Flyers or Rags in the playoffs every year (if we even make the playoffs) as it can lose its fizzle (sorry for using that word).

I'm not a big fan of these changes and I know you hate everything that has to do with Winnipeg, but it's not like Winnipeg came in and told the league what to do here.

Yeah I see that Bettman wanted to do this regardless

#130 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:46 PM

mmmm what i dont like is that its taking away rivalries that you have with other teams...

if im arguing with a MTL or Boston fan... you can't go like... "HA my team is 6 pts ahead of yours in the standings !!!" it doesnt matter anymore... its all about your division and thats it

with Pittsburgh, Flyers and Washington in our division its gonna be a though run...

www.SterioDesign.com

#131 eaglejelly

eaglejelly

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:34 PM

Posted Image

#132 roomtemp

roomtemp

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

This will kill parity that the league loves so much. When you are 6 points behind the 8th spot and have to jump a few teams its easier to sell then being 12 behind in 5th or 6th behind the 4th spot.

Edited by roomtemp, 06 December 2011 - 01:39 PM.

#133 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,045 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

Posted Image

Have to admit, that isn't too bad. Just shows how far away the Florida teams are from everyone else anyway, not to mention NW Canada.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 06 December 2011 - 01:53 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#134 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 01:52 PM

Posted Image

well at least they didnt went out of their way to put Crosby and Ovechkin in the same division...

www.SterioDesign.com

#135 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,045 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:02 PM

Pittsburgh and Washington have had a rivalry since Crosby and Ovechkin were born, there was no way the league was going to have them play twice a year with almost no playoff matchups. The league didn't have to go out of its way, it's not like they're 1000 miles apart.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 06 December 2011 - 02:05 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#136 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

I love it. The Patrick Division I grew up with and the Whalers.

mmmm what i dont like is that its taking away rivalries that you have with other teams...

if im arguing with a MTL or Boston fan... you can't go like... "HA my team is 6 pts ahead of yours in the standings !!!" it doesnt matter anymore... its all about your division and thats it

with Pittsburgh, Flyers and Washington in our division its gonna be a though run...

Didnt realize the devils had such a huge rivalry with the B's and Habs.

Count me among those who like it. And if any of the league's revenue-sharing can go towards travel costs, it won't be so bad for the Florida teams. At least all their games are in the same time zone, as that seemed to be a priority with this realignment.

I also like the Proteautype (sp?) suggestions for conference names. It wouldn't seem fair if a team played in a conference named for a guy who wore their uniform, so I'd propose:

Conference A = Howe
Conference B = Lemieux
Conference C = Gretzky
Conference D = Orr

If by that you mean, Patrick, Adams, Norris, and Smythe, then I agree.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#137 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Thats the other thing that concerns me...is playing the same the same teams in the first two rounds of the playoffs. It can get stale, and you dont create new non-div rivalries. I dont want to play the Flyers or Rags in the playoffs every year (if we even make the playoffs) as it can lose its fizzle (sorry for using that word).

I take it you weren't watching in the 80's and early 90's? From 82-87 the Rangers played the Flyers 5 times in the first round. Rangers won 3 and the Flyers 2. Was huge for building that rivalry.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#138 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

All this needs now is to re-name the "divisions" back to Patrick, Smythe, et al.

This alignment is close enough in look and feel to those old divisions. It was a mistake for Buttman to ever change it following his NBA roots.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#139 devlman

devlman

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:38 PM

I take it you weren't watching in the 80's and early 90's? From 82-87 the Rangers played the Flyers 5 times in the first round. Rangers won 3 and the Flyers 2. Was huge for building that rivalry.

This isnt the 80s...

#140 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:41 PM

I don't think the playoffs will get stale if we're playing the same teams.. You seriously want to tell me that even 15 years from now you'll be like "Oh the Devils are playing the Rangers in the playoffs? Yawn, wake me up when something new and exciting happens".. It'll be huge even if it happens every season
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users