37 replies to this topic

#1 DevilinLA

DevilinLA

Trivia Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,221 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:09 PM

Of course, nothing is written in stone - but it appears "early on" this season that Lou has little intention of making this season his last.

We'll see, but here' the quote.

According to Elliott Friedman of CBC, this will not be Lou Lamoriello's final season as President and General Manager as has been speculated by many different people. When Elliott Friedman asked Lamoriello if this is his final season as General Manager of the Devils Lou Lamoriello replied with:

"No, not unless you know something I don't."
Posted Image
Sole Keeper of Anton Volchenkov
Sole Keeper of Mike Mottau #27
Keeper of Bryce Salvador #24

#2 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

I wouldn't think that Lou would hang it up yet.. He seems to be in good health and I see that as being the only thing that will make him step down
Posted Image
Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Even if he had already signed the papers, he would say the same thing until the season was over. This is really a non-story.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#4 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:22 PM

Regardless of what he says it's time.

#5 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

Lou's not quite ready to be working part-time at Ray Catena's Mercedes.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#6 Mitico12

Mitico12

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:30 PM

Of course, nothing is written in stone - but it appears "early on" this season that Lou has little intention of making this season his last.

We'll see, but here' the quote.

According to Elliott Friedman of CBC, this will not be Lou Lamoriello's final season as President and General Manager as has been speculated by many different people. When Elliott Friedman asked Lamoriello if this is his final season as General Manager of the Devils Lou Lamoriello replied with:

"No, not unless you know something I don't."

Well, Lou also said the same thing a few days before Jacques Lemaire said bye-bye and retired two seasons ago. What do you think he was going to say...

#7 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:01 PM

I will always appreciate everything Lou has done with the organization, but I don't think he's entitled to keep the job for life as a result, or for as long as he sees fit. I was hoping that this would be his last season...guess not. But like others have noted...who really knows?
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#8 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,478 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:08 PM

I will always appreciate everything Lou has done with the organization, but I don't think he's entitled to keep the job for life as a result, or for as long as he sees fit. I was hoping that this would be his last season...guess not. But like others have noted...who really knows?

Sadly, it may not be his decision. I'd hope he steps down before he is asked to step down. I just think the time has come after this season.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#9 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,851 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:14 PM

Lmao, Lou lies about what he had for breakfast in the morning. If Lou was wearing a red tie, and you told him he was wearing a red tie, he'd tell you it was a green tie. So I'm not buying anything Lou says about his job status a full 4 months before the end of the season.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#10 Risky

Risky

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,701 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

No, he'd tell you it was "an upper body garment."
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder
of Orion. I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain.

#11 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

4 more years, 4 more years, 4 more years!
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#12 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:47 PM

I wouldn't think that Lou would hang it up yet.. He seems to be in good health and I see that as being the only thing that will make him step down

This.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#13 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

oh lou is the marty of gms and i cant see the owner pulling the trigger.

and we are a bit of a lone wolf in the league so dont look for friends

what we need is a new lou
Posted Image

#14 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

C'mon man. You haven't heard those commercials enough over the years. "If you are in the maaaaket for a new Mercedes-Benz, visit Globe Mercedes in Fairfield, NJ."
Posted Image

#15 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 03:11 AM

I wouldn't buy anything from that guy. Creepiest commercial ever.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

#16 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 9,470 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:23 AM

Sadly, it may not be his decision. I'd hope he steps down before he is asked to step down. I just think the time has come after this season.

Agree.

What worries me about Lou is that, for years, I think he had some kind of Plan A, Plan B, and Plan C...if his plans didn't always work out as hoped (like the Gilmour deal), you could see WHY he did what he did, and why it made sense.

For quite some time now, I think Lou, who's maintained a "strong, we will stay the course" public persona, has become a shaken man behind the scenes. When the kind of moves Lou used to make stopped working their magic, he seems to start throwing things at the wall, hoping to see something stick. Hire coaches. Fire coaches. Hell, I'll try coaching. Bring back ex-Devil after ex-Devil.

But the real "Lou lost his way" moment for me was when he signed Kovalchuk. I've said it before and I'll say it again: I never had a problem with Lou bringing him here. The team needed a spark at the time, and the price was cheap...I thought it was a no-brainer gamble. But based on what I saw once he got here, despite the point-per-game average, I thought Lou should have let him walk. Kovy just didn't seem to fit. And I think in past seasons, Lou would have let him go...hey, we gave it a shot, it didn't work out, at least we got a bad Oduya contract off our books, let's see what we can do with the money we saved. But it almost seemed like Lou (possibly with pressure from ownership, who knows) took a "well, I've never done THIS before, and nothing else I seem to do these days seems to be panning out, so what the hell, I'll do the 'sign a big-time free agent to a big-time contract'. What the hell?"

To me, the sign of a GM's run coming to end is when his moves - even the ones that make perfect sense - stop working out. In Lou's heyday, Zubrus would've been putting up 20-25 goals and 50-60 points per season, and we'd all be saying, "Man, what a bargain, size and some scoring ability for $3.5 million a year." Rolston would've done what he had done in four of the previous six seasons, and kept on popping 30 or so goals a year. Lou always had a certain magic with his moves (Corey Millen for Neal Broten is a great example), but it just seems like the magic is gone now, and really has been for a while.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 06 December 2011 - 07:24 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#17 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:51 AM

I wouldn't buy anything from that guy. Creepiest commercial ever.

Creepy commercial but I've met him several times and he is a very nice human being.

#18 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

CR76 - the kovy signing (not trade) was very much pushed by ownership. that's not to say lou was totally against it but it was JVB's signing. it was, i think, equal parts hockey decision, marketing decision, parise-insurance.

also, saying that lou from earlier somehow gets more out of zubrus and rolston doesn't really work. perhaps i'm misunderstanding how you're putting it. while its clear lou has made plenty of missteps since the lockout it hasn't been 100% bad and in many cases, i'm not sure what else he could've done. we've discussed ad nauseum just about every player personnel decision and what were roadblocks.

if you want to point at something current, the janssen/boulton signings were signs of a guy not with the times.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#19 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

I still think that Lou, as much as he may be past his prime as a GM, is still our best option. Look at who other teams have gone through in recent years. Glen Sather? Neil Smith? Garth Snow? Bobby Clarke? This General Managing thing ain't easy. Lou's recent moves may not have him in the Kenny Holland league anymore, but he's still among the best.

It's his job til he doesn't want it anymore, IMO. In Lou I trust.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#20 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:14 AM

I still think that Lou, as much as he may be past his prime as a GM, is still our best option. Look at who other teams have gone through in recent years. Glen Sather? Neil Smith? Garth Snow? Bobby Clarke? This General Managing thing ain't easy. Lou's recent moves may not have him in the Kenny Holland league anymore, but he's still among the best.

It's his job til he doesn't want it anymore, IMO. In Lou I trust.

Marty eventually retires and takes up a position in the front office, being groomed for a GM-job. Lou steps down...MARTY TIME*!

*refusing to sign butterfly goalies, amongst other things.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award
believe2.jpg

www.numerartovertag.wordpress.com - An NHL Blog (in Swedish)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users