• Kovalchuk – not tradable , ie has NMC, but more importantly, lifetime contract that only a team that has their own bad lifetime contract would consider (like the Canucks with Luongo—but unlikely to ever happen)
• Elias – 1 additional year left on 6m cap hit, fair for someone producing at his rate with his experience; not tradable for practical reasons, ie, will retire a lifelong Devil, plus the additional year at 6m will not be attractive to cup run teams
• Parise – pending UFA; is a tradable property that teams will definitely be interested in
-----I think a lot will depend on contract negotiations around the time of 1/1/12, when he can legally be extended. If talks break down, or if Zach wants 7m+, NJ has to seriously look to trade him (hopefully for a young goalie). Right now, he’s not worth 6 million. And we’re not a contender.
• Zajac – 1 additional year at 3.887m cap hit; tradable, but seriously doubt we do that given that he might be the most complete forward (offensively and defensively) on the team.
• Zubrus – 2 additional years left on a 3.4m cap hit; potentially tradable
-----Love Zubrus actually, and you can’t fault his energy. He has stone hands and won’t do much more than 40 points. I think if NJ could trade him, they would. A team like PIT might be a nice place, although an Atlantic trade might be unlikely.
• Clarkson – 2 additional years left on a 2.667m cap hit; potentially tradable
-----Clarkson is up and down and is difficult to gauge. I think at 2.667, it would be difficult to move him anywhere. Not impossible, but probably unlikely. I could see his role increasing even more, were we to unload Parise and a guy like Zubrus, but in the mix of all our forwards, he’s often lost.
• Josefson – 2 additional years left on entry deal at 900k cap hit; definitely tradable
-----I think NJ will hold onto Jacob. He’s young. He’s a center. Clearly very talented. Too bad he has been injured. Unlikely that NJ parts with him.
• Tedenby – 2 additional years left on entry deal at 875k cap hit; tradable
-----The guy is small, but has some good skills along the boards. I think if the right deal came along, NJ would take it. Not sure I can ever imagine this guy as a top flight (or top line) forward. He lacks the tree stump legs of Martin St. Louis.
• Henrique – 1 additional year left on entry deal at 850k cap hit; definitely tradable
-----His stock has never been higher than it is right now. Fingers crossed that we don’t deal him. Exactly the kind of player that other teams will want, and right now, our best young asset. Going to say it’s unlikely he gets dealt, seeing how center depth is very important in the NHL. Zajac/Henrique/Josefson should be a good combo next year.
• Palmieri – pending RFA; possibly tradable (but he’s terrible, so not likely)
• Carter – pending UFA; not tradable
• Boulton – 1 additional year at 662k cap hit; not tradable
• Sykora – pending UFA; not tradable
• Pelley – pending UFA; not tradable
• Janssen – pending UFA; not tradable
• Sestito – pending UFA; not tradable
• Volchenkov – 4 additional years left on 4.25m cap hit; not tradable due to length of contract
• Tallinder – 2 additional years left on 3.375m cap hit; not tradable due to length/amount of contract
• Greene – 3 additional years left on 3m cap hit; not tradable due to length of contract
• Salvador – pending UFA; not tradable
• Larsson – 2 additional years left on entry deal at 925k cap hit; definitely tradable (but will never happen—NJ will not trade the future of its defense)
• Fayne – pending RFA; not tradable
• Fraser – terrible, not tradable
• Brodeur – pending UFA; not tradable (just can’t see Marty deciding to go anywhere else)
• Hedberg – pending UFA; could be tradable to a contender looking for a solid backup for a run
Hence, here is what I am predicting to happen (could be in January, could be trade deadline, but at some point):
NJ trades Parise.
NJ trades Tedenby.
NJ trades Hedberg.
Hopefully we get back a Bernier, C. Schneider, or Lindback (my choice). I could see Vancouver being very interested in adding Parise/Tedenby, if they believe they have a cup run in them and can rely on Roberto. Parise & Tedenby might look good on Nashville (again—I’d like to acquire Lindback). Hedberg probably goes for a draft pick. 2nd or 3rd round (depending on the going rate this deadline).
Thus, next year’s outlook (again, all speculative cuz I’m bored), might look like this:
Wedgewood (or Brodeur on 1 year deal)
Edited by bekim, 06 December 2011 - 03:06 PM.