124 replies to this topic

#21 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

Yeah Saturday's GDT is what prompted me to make this thread. I stay off the boards right after a loss because I know I'll probably get into it with someone... so I went on this morning to say something about defense and trades and such and read the last two pages and just got very annoyed.

#22 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:13 AM

FWIW this has also been abused, and there has been issues in the past with members about some double standards here when it comes to what is worthy of suspending someone's account.

I think we need to hire Shanny as a forum mod

Season Ticket Holder since '08 - '09
Section 226 - Row 2 - Seats 15 and 16

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#23 Elias26

Elias26

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Bobby Holik wouldn't name a (Christmas) song. He said: "Music means nothing to me." When Tom Gulitti of the
Record suggested he'd be called Scrooge, Holik said: "It won't be the first time." -Bobby Holik Christmas 2008

“I made a decision to be here. Just because the team is going through a rough time doesn’t mean you leave. This has become my second home. I love playing here. Patrik Elias January 31, 2011

#24 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,263 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Yeah Saturday's GDT is what prompted me to make this thread. I stay off the boards right after a loss because I know I'll probably get into it with someone... so I went on this morning to say something about defense and trades and such and read the last two pages and just got very annoyed.

Alright, this is the last post I will make about Saturday's GDT as I know I was involved in that. I was not looking for a fight, but it came to me and I took it on. Am I a little embarassed that it was out in public like that? Yeah a little and I apologize to those who had to read through that nonsense. Do I regret it? Not really, as those two clows have been constantly trolling on this board as well as another board for quite some time and basically I had it and called them out on it. It is over now and honestly I'd just rather move on from it.

Hell some people here know my history with other members who I have not so great relationship such as Triumph, but I do not hound him or anything like that for that matter. Hell I have even agreed with him on a bunch of posts lately.

That's all I am going to say and it's over, time to move on and I'd just rather talk about tonight's game.

#25 Exit56

Exit56

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:19 AM

I've been a member here for a very long time. It used to be a nice place to go to talk Devils when the only other option was the NJ.com boards (what a train wreck that place was).

I find myself coming here less and less - the discussion and news I used to look for here I get from Puck Daddy, TG's Blog and Twitter.

I must say, the people who have nothing better to do than belittle, bitch and moan play a large role in me not being involved here.

#26 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

Now I'm going to have to check that out!

You won't have to look far, it's still going on :P

Unfortunately, I'm having computer issues myself and can't use the report feature on my Smartphone.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#27 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

So now we have a number of people commenting here that really care for the well-being of this forum.

Let's start with that, not give the trolls any fuel... and just talk hockey and have some fun. Hopefully the Devs win tonight and that'll help the cause.

#28 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:23 AM

It's unfortunate. I always preferred this forum because it felt more like a community. You had your knowledgeable people, your emotional people, those who contributed personality and humor, those who kept things grounded, so on and so forth. There was a great balance that, IMO, didn't exist in the over-populated, ADHD-suffering HF community.

But lately it's gotten bad here with all the childishness. It got to the point where I actually started posting over at HF for a bit, but I got a taste of how ridiculous their Mods are with their gestapo-like power drunkeness and selective enforcement based on how buddy-buddy you are with them. I will NEVER go back to that worthless forum again.

As bad as things can get around here, at least it isn't HF.

Hello, ignore feature.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#29 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:27 AM

I've been a member here for a very long time. It used to be a nice place to go to talk Devils when the only other option was the NJ.com boards (what a train wreck that place was).

I find myself coming here less and less - the discussion and news I used to look for here I get from Puck Daddy, TG's Blog and Twitter.

I must say, the people who have nothing better to do than belittle, bitch and moan play a large role in me not being involved here.

Agreed on all accounts. And as our voices get quieter because we're on other places on the internet...the voices of those arguing gets even louder and more noticeable.

It's been nice going on the r/hockey and r/devils subreddits on reddit and getting discussion, but with self-moderation (aka upvoting/downvoting posts).

#30 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

It's unfortunate. I always preferred this forum because it felt more like a community. You had your knowledgeable people, your emotional people, those who contributed personality and humor, those who kept things grounded, so on and so forth. There was a great balance that, IMO, didn't exist in the over-populated, ADHD-suffering HF community.

But lately it's gotten bad here with all the childishness. It got to the point where I actually started posting over at HF for a bit, but I got a taste of how ridiculous their Mods are with their gestapo-like power drunkeness and selective enforcement based on how buddy-buddy you are with them. I will NEVER go back to that worthless forum again.

As bad as things can get around here, at least it isn't HF.

Hello, ignore feature.

HF can get a little tight. I got an infraction for making a joke about deer to lighten the mood during the Kovy saga I remember. I got an infraction and a message that told me to stay on topic.

It WAS off topic though but a good point. I was thinking instead of hunting and killing deer, we have a town council meeting and force them to pay a portion of property taxes for the backyard they hang out in. It would provide tax relief to residents, and make sure the deer are doing their part by paying for the land they crap on literally.

#31 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:32 AM

Seriously, I can't believe you point to "Rangers (or 'you') suck" as a classless example. the rangers/flyers fans go out of their way to do much worse and the big problem is our fans tend to get sucked in and stoop to their level. If you want to chant something after a goal who cares? If you don't believe in doing it, it's your choice, nobody asked you. Yes, some people should cut it out with all the whining and bitching. There are a few (honestly I don't pay attention to names so I won't provide examples, and frankly don't feel like getting into internet battles of intelligence insulting) who act like they have inside knowledge on here all the time and won't listen to other sides of a story. Do you work for NHL Network? MSG, (god help me here) ESPN, etc? no? Then your info weighs as much as anyone else on here! I personally don't ever remember being flamed on here but I do notice it a lot and stop reading the thread before I get pissed enough to call someone out for what they wrote and start a whole thing...

The classless part is not what a few people do to jab at the other team/team's fans at the arena, its what people do online, personally attacking someone just because you don't agree with something they wrote. If you don't agree, just say so and provide reasoning, don't go insulting someone's intelligence or hockey knowledge. Not everyone watched every game from opening night in '82 and knows all the players and stats from the Devils in the past 30 years. Some are just casual fans, some are hardcore. Everyone should be able to post their opinions, content and info on here without fear of being called some name because of ignorance or whatever, if you post something, and someone provides credible evidence to the contrary, just let it go, it's just hockey and it's just an online forum, it's not life, and if it is life for you, you really need to get out and get a better one...

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#32 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

HF can get a little tight. I got an infraction for making a joke about deer to lighten the mood during the Kovy saga I remember. I got an infraction and a message that told me to stay on topic.

It WAS off topic though but a good point. I was thinking instead of hunting and killing deer, we have a town council meeting and force them to pay a portion of property taxes for the backyard they hang out in. It would provide tax relief to residents, and make sure the deer are doing their part by paying for the land they crap on literally.

lol, even HF isn't as bad as a Mets forum I occasionly post on where I was banned forever on a first offense - using the term 'buttbuddy' to describe the relationship between the GM and one of his assistants.

But yeah, one guy over there who recently became a mod seems to be the most overofficious, but I haven't been infracted yet so it doesn't bother me - yet :P

Edited by NJDevs4978, 12 December 2011 - 10:37 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#33 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

Seriously, I can't believe you point to "Rangers (or 'you') suck" as a classless example. the rangers/flyers fans go out of their way to do much worse and the big problem is our fans tend to get sucked in and stoop to their level. If you want to chant something after a goal who cares? If you don't believe in doing it, it's your choice, nobody asked you. Yes, some people should cut it out with all the whining and bitching. There are a few (honestly I don't pay attention to names so I won't provide examples, and frankly don't feel like getting into internet battles of intelligence insulting) who act like they have inside knowledge on here all the time and won't listen to other sides of a story. Do you work for NHL Network? MSG, (god help me here) ESPN, etc? no? Then your info weighs as much as anyone else on here! I personally don't ever remember being flamed on here but I do notice it a lot and stop reading the thread before I get pissed enough to call someone out for what they wrote and start a whole thing...

The classless part is not what a few people do to jab at the other team/team's fans at the arena, its what people do online, personally attacking someone just because you don't agree with something they wrote. If you don't agree, just say so and provide reasoning, don't go insulting someone's intelligence or hockey knowledge. Not everyone watched every game from opening night in '82 and knows all the players and stats from the Devils in the past 30 years. Some are just casual fans, some are hardcore. Everyone should be able to post their opinions, content and info on here without fear of being called some name because of ignorance or whatever, if you post something, and someone provides credible evidence to the contrary, just let it go, it's just hockey and it's just an online forum, it's not life, and if it is life for you, you really need to get out and get a better one...

Agreed.

I have so many things I can complain about as far as our fans' behavior in the arena... but it's not nearly as bad as Flyer fans and so on so that's not the issue.

The issue is we let ourselves get so consumed in petty BS. Our fan base could be so better if we stuck together.

#34 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

I agree with the "let's move on" movement but I still think the issues will remain if not addressed.. It's up to the mods

devildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gifdevildance.gif

#35 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:38 AM

lol, even HF isn't as bad as a Mets forum I occasionly post on where I was banned forever on a first offense - using the term 'buttbuddy' to describe the relationship between the GM and one of his assistants.

But yeah, one guy over there who recently became a mod seems to be the most overofficious, but I haven't been infracted yet so it doesn't bother me - yet :P

Is it Mike C? What a douche.

(Just kidding, he's handsome)

#36 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,687 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:40 AM

Is it Mike C? What a douche.

(Just kidding, he's handsome)

No, Cowbell lol. At least I won't get in trouble for this cause I use a different name over there.

#37 njdevil26

njdevil26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,336 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:42 AM

No, Cowbell lol. At least I won't get in trouble for this cause I use a different name over there.

Ohhh Steve. Yeah he's a nice guy. I got an infraction from him once. I forget what I did. But it's not just him... that's how they have to be over there. There are is almost one mod for every two users it's ridiculous.

That's not even that bad. The only other message board I go on is antsmarching.org, a Dave Matthews Band board. I have been there since 2004. I got an infraction in 2004 that took away my ability to post pictures and new threads (their penalty system). It was NEVER lifted.

Edited by njdevil26, 12 December 2011 - 10:43 AM.

#38 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,473 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

i don't post often on the board as a discussion person (i seem to always say stupid/irrelevant/obvious things)

but i do read the threads, and it seems as if this board is just following the internet as a whole. Every board i go on is full of trolls, idiots and people who just want to get into arguments.
Anyone been on the New Jersey Devils Facebook page? that thing is just a troll haven and i feel embarrassed as a Devil fan to be associated with those people.

I joined this board because it was all Devils fans talking about the Devils. I have few friends who care about hockey, so i can at least see peoples opinions and thoughts about the team and the sport in general.
I started my feed and allowed people from this board to join because it is a good community of Devil and hockey fans in general

Arguments happen, its part of life, but the amount of stupid and unnecessary ones has definitely spiked... and yeah, we're not playing well right now, we get that.
NONE of us have any control over how the team plays or how it is constructed. All we can do is control our reactions to the team and their play.

We get it, they are sucking right now, and whatever the problems are, we hope as fans that they can turn it around and make this season enjoyable.

totally agree. This board has been my saving grace. I tried to write about the Devils and yeah - Scott Stevens and got just raked over the coals at general NHL boards. and I just didn't understand how hockey fans didn't understand HOCKEY! I mean they couldn't give on ANY point - it was like bizaaro world where hockey knowledge was just gone -- and the hockey people who knew hockey couldn't write to you because they were so in love with extolling their own knowledge reading their own posts with a few they deem elite as they --- I know I write it all the time but "Larry" just saved my soul on one of those boards and told me I indeed DID know what I was talking about I just had to understand no one else did and calm down and accept that fact. :lol: I was then able to look around and find Devils fans boards - then Brad recruited me here (BLAME DM!!!)

I still love this place and know enough of you that I still feel happy here -- but it IS getting to look a little like all the other boards :saddevil: I was never on the njo board and no one is saying it's likethat now so it's not all THAT horrible.

It's just everyone in far more into alienation than communication and that's sad.

I'm here for the party

#39 Colin226

Colin226

Hall of Famer

• Contributor
  • 6,210 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

There seems to be a very fine line between over moding and under moding

#40 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

:lol: I like it. You should run for office with ideas like that.

I posted in the thread about the Wendy's possibly figuring into the Devils ownership situation. Someone joked that, instead of the PSE&G Power Play, it'd be the Uncontrollable Bowels Power Play. I replied that ...

Spoiler

That resulted in the post being edited with a hearty explanation of "No" and a thread about a very discussion-worthy topic being locked. Meanwhile, in the next thread, there was a cartoon of a woman choking on an invisible ... um ... phallus, and that was perfectly OK because that poster no doubt has shared a couple beers at Hell's Kitchen with the Mod.

To hell with that website. This thread inspired me to finally put Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum on ignore here. Random simpletons can be ignored and the forum can still be enjoyable. Mods who show less impartial discretion than refs calling recent Devils games are tougher to deal with.

haha Same guy who censored me for making a poop joke.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users