#1 skullsmasher

skullsmasher

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:17 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...1&smid=fb-share

I hate to say it, but fighting needs to be taken out of the nhl. NOW.

#2 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:25 PM

No, it does not.

#3 Biggie B

Biggie B

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

Yes we can! Wait, what?
Posted Image
Holding it down (in loving memory) for Vitaly "THE UKRAINE TRAIN" Vishnevski

If you can't take the heat, step away from the flames.

#4 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:27 PM

No, it does not.

#5 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 11:33 PM

as sad as the story of Boogaard is, fighting does not need to be taken out of the nhl until fighting isn't a sport in itself

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#6 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 12:26 AM

No, it does not.

Please, explain your reasoning.

logokx.jpg

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#7 adam85491

adam85491

Senior Devil

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:20 AM

UFC and boxing focus strictly on fighting and shots to the head. Why is a 30 second fight in a game considered to be more deadly than the career paths in those respective sports?

It's been a staple of this game ever since the first puck was dropped. With the decrease of illegal hits and new advances in equipment, players are safer today than they have been in the past. Granted that all goes out the window during a fight, but I just think there would be far more cases popping up if fighting was that bad for the game.

I'm falling asleep so this argument might not be overly strong.

#8 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:22 AM

UFC and boxing focus strictly on fighting and shots to the head. Why is a 30 second fight in a game considered to be more deadly than the career paths in those respective sports?

It's been a staple of this game ever since the first puck was dropped. With the decrease of illegal hits and new advances in equipment, players are safer today than they have been in the past. Granted that all goes out the window during a fight, but I just think there would be far more cases popping up if fighting was that bad for the game.

I'm falling asleep so this argument might not be overly strong.

because in those sports, they dont fall onto solid ice

#9 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

There is no proof that fighting is the cause of the depression. It could easily be the pain killers or drugs that many of the enforcers take in order to play each night. There are a lot of non-enforcers who have taken their life during or following their career. It would also be interesting to see how many others have C.T.E in the regular world.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 13 December 2011 - 01:44 AM.

A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#10 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:38 AM

There is no proof that fighting is the cause of the depression. It could easily be the pain killers or drugs that many of the enforcers take in order to play each night. There are a lot of non-enforcers who have taken their life during or following their career. It would also be interesting to see how many others have C.T.E in the regular world.

According to the article, one of the symptoms of CTE is addiction, which is evident in Boogaard's case. So yes it was the painkillers, but the addiction to painkillers was because of the repeated hits to his head.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#11 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

UFC and boxing focus strictly on fighting and shots to the head. Why is a 30 second fight in a game considered to be more deadly than the career paths in those respective sports?It's been a staple of this game ever since the first puck was dropped. With the decrease of illegal hits and new advances in equipment, players are safer today than they have been in the past. Granted that all goes out the window during a fight, but I just think there would be far more cases popping up if fighting was that bad for the game.I'm falling asleep so this argument might not be overly strong.

UFC fighters and professional Boxers fight once, twice or at most 3 times year and don't have to do it night after night and we didn't even talk yet about the differences of receiving a punch from a non covered hand and a covered one (boxing gloves, or UFC style gloves)

Edited by SS-SS, 13 December 2011 - 02:51 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#12 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:55 AM

UFC fighters and professional Boxers fight once, twice or at most 3 times year and don't have to do it night after night and we didn't even talk yet about the differences of receiving a punch from a non covered hand and a covered one (boxing gloves, or UFC style gloves)

ok and a boxer/fighter receives A LOTTT more hits and pounding all at once than a hockey player does

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#13 SS-SS

SS-SS

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:12 AM

ok and a boxer/fighter receives A LOTTT more hits and pounding all at once than a hockey player does

I agree, but then you get a 6 month to heal your injuries and you are surrounded by gsfighting sports doctors and professional unlike the hockey player who is surrounded by doctors who are mainly there for the type of injuries that are typical to the game.

Something like 6 months to heal a concussion is much better than taking drugs and jump back on the ice the second day to receive punches again.

Edited by SS-SS, 13 December 2011 - 03:13 AM.

Posted Image

Posted Image of Henrik Tallinder Posted Image of The Eric Lindros Concussions

#14 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:37 AM

According to the article, one of the symptoms of CTE is addiction, which is evident in Boogaard's case. So yes it was the painkillers, but the addiction to painkillers was because of the repeated hits to his head.

That just seems like a easy way to pin the person's faults on fighting. There are no hard facts in that article, they say CTE is believed to be caused by trauma. At some point people are going to have to realize there are risk to playing sports just as there are risks to joining the military. Players are heavily compensated so I don't think it's our job to tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac, 13 December 2011 - 03:39 AM.

#15 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,790 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:55 AM

That just seems like a easy way to pin the person's faults on fighting. There are no hard facts in that article, they say CTE is believed to be caused by trauma. At some point people are going to have to realize there are risk to playing sports just as there are risks to joining the military. Players are heavily compensated so I don't think it's our job to tell them what they should and shouldn't do.

Well I guess neither of us really know since we don't know what percentage of people diagnosed with CTE had some sort of drug addiction, but for this stuff to withstand enough scrutiny to be published in peer-reviewed scientific journals I'm giving the doctors and researchers the benefit of the doubt until I come across a reason to change my mind.

As for banning fighting, maybe we shouldn't be telling them what they should and shouldn't do, but at least with this research we are learning more about the risks of being a fighter. Just like people are more informed now about the risks of smoking...ultimately people are left to decide for themselves if they're going to do it, but at least now that we are more aware of the life-threatening risks involved, people can make a more educated decision.

At least fighting isn't necessary for most hockey players so if the risk of CTE scares people away from fighting, they won't have to completely give up the sport.

Edited by devilsfan26, 13 December 2011 - 04:00 AM.

"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#16 Joonas #6

Joonas #6

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:18 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-brain-going-bad.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&smid=fb-share

I think it was pretty funny when I noticed your username right after reading your post :giggle:

I fvcking hate animated avatars and signatures.

#17 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:57 AM

Well I guess neither of us really know since we don't know what percentage of people diagnosed with CTE had some sort of drug addiction, but for this stuff to withstand enough scrutiny to be published in peer-reviewed scientific journals I'm giving the doctors and researchers the benefit of the doubt until I come across a reason to change my mind.

As for banning fighting, maybe we shouldn't be telling them what they should and shouldn't do, but at least with this research we are learning more about the risks of being a fighter. Just like people are more informed now about the risks of smoking...ultimately people are left to decide for themselves if they're going to do it, but at least now that we are more aware of the life-threatening risks involved, people can make a more educated decision.

At least fighting isn't necessary for most hockey players so if the risk of CTE scares people away from fighting, they won't have to completely give up the sport.

Good post and I agree, people may be less likely to fight if they are educated with the certain risk but still give them the option. I feel society is trying too hard to implement policies and regulations to keep us safe. When will it stop? When all conflict of any sort is illegal?

#18 Dead

Dead

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 06:32 AM

Fight is OK in hockey, and even safer than in boxing! Wearing padded gloves actually makes it more likely the person getting hit will suffer injuries!

So I see no problem with fighting at all the way it is currently in the game.

Stationed @ The Rock   Devils!!! :devil: :gd: :devil:
gallery_47_36_882.pngSection 114 & Kovy's Second Contract

#19 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/06/sports/hockey/derek-boogaard-a-brain-going-bad.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&smid=fb-share

lol at the irony of your username.

#20 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,366 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:41 AM

Fight is OK in hockey, and even safer than in boxing! Wearing padded gloves actually makes it more likely the person getting hit will suffer injuries!

So I see no problem with fighting at all the way it is currently in the game.

The padded gloves allows the head to suffer multiple traumas without being knocked out or knocked down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users