117 replies to this topic

#21 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,911 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

eh, he's still restricted again so he's not going anywhere - unless you think someone is offer sheeting him to something outrageous which i don't see. the devils have defensive prospects that they're going to try and get in the lineup - urbom, merril, taormina, burlon, etc. yes, salvador's departure will open up one spot. so will foster. even removing fayne from the equation, they still are going to have:

tallinder
volchenkov
greene
larsson

that leaves 2 spots open. fayne has obviously proven he's getting one of them but i don't want to go oduya here before we have to and regret it.

How did the Devils regret the Oduya deal? He played okay and was shipped out in a trade. It wasn't a disaster. Johnny Oduya is UFA this summer and I think he'll be staying in the NHL - probably for a little less money, but he'll be here. Plus, this would be 2.2M on a 65M cap, not 3.5M on a 56.8M cap. Enormous difference.

Fayne is RFA, but he's UFA in 2 years. Out of all the prospects you mentioned, Fayne is the only one who shoots right handed. That's just not a deal the Devils are likely to regret - the kid's a keeper.

Edited by Triumph, 15 December 2011 - 12:28 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#22 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,452 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:06 PM

The NHL will never reach the point of baseball, literally everything in baseball is mathematizable and they're getting to the point of analyzing individual pitches and swings and so forth.

Baseball is such a boring sport to watch that you have to look beyond the game to have fun so they come up with all those analyzes to keep you interested while watching

www.SterioDesign.com

#23 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:50 PM

How did the Devils regret the Oduya deal? He played okay and was shipped out in a trade. It wasn't a disaster. Johnny Oduya is UFA this summer and I think he'll be staying in the NHL - probably for a little less money, but he'll be here. Plus, this would be 2.2M on a 65M cap, not 3.5M on a 56.8M cap. Enormous difference.

Fayne is RFA, but he's UFA in 2 years. Out of all the prospects you mentioned, Fayne is the only one who shoots right handed. That's just not a deal the Devils are likely to regret - the kid's a keeper.

you're right that 2.2 isn't that big a deal for a top 4 defenseman who can take on the toughs and fill in on an PP and skate. you're doing some revisionist history on oduya - he really was terrible after signing that deal - we would've given him away for essentially nothing if we could at the time.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#24 Guadana

Guadana

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

he isn`t so well as we want.
but don`t forget about second_season effect
he plays even straght, pp, pk, have 3 goals, 3rd time on ice d-man in second season in devils
i think it`s pretty well for noname_defensman(and it`s all in Devils)
best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#25 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

during that second half run last year his ice time moved up from 16/17 mins into the 20 min area and he played clean defense during that stretch. he was a good pairing with tallinder!

doesnt play as big as his size. like to see more pain from him. he started out in a different system this year but is looking steady again not bad for a 5th rounder

#26 mvparise

mvparise

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:02 PM

He still makes deadly mistakes that have lost us games, but im glad you guys love him, in that case who wants to buy an autographed mark fayne puck?!?!? i got an eric boulton one but some guy was nice enough to trade his mark fayne for it. kinda like trading one handful of sh!t for another.

#27 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 26,911 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

you're right that 2.2 isn't that big a deal for a top 4 defenseman who can take on the toughs and fill in on an PP and skate. you're doing some revisionist history on oduya - he really was terrible after signing that deal - we would've given him away for essentially nothing if we could at the time.

Revisionist history, IMO. No, he wasn't playing well, but he was keeping his head above water. I don't think he would have been given away for free, and you do remember, I hope, that NJ came out of the trade deadline with their worst 4 D as Skoula, Salvador, Salmela, and Fraser.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#28 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,149 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Revisionist history, IMO. No, he wasn't playing well, but he was keeping his head above water. I don't think he would have been given away for free, and you do remember, I hope, that NJ came out of the trade deadline with their worst 4 D as Skoula, Salvador, Salmela, and Fraser.

i had to go remind myself who the top 4 were (white, mottau, greene, martin). you're right that we wouldn't give him for nothing but i remember him being pretty bad and that contract being a big problem.
"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

Posted Image
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
Shameless Business Plug - Shop at Capitol Lighting and
1-800lighting.com - Use code NJDEVS10 for 10% OFF

#29 Steven M.

Steven M.

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:00 PM

He still makes deadly mistakes that have lost us games, but im glad you guys love him, in that case who wants to buy an autographed mark fayne puck?!?!? i got an eric boulton one but some guy was nice enough to trade his mark fayne for it. kinda like trading one handful of sh!t for another.

So have Larrson, Kovalchuk, and Parise. would you also liken them to a "handful of sh!t" ? Everyone makes mistakes, Fayne makes them less than most. Sorry bro, I don't understand the disdain for him.

100601larry-david2.jpg

#30 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 06:07 PM

Fayne is worthy of my first post. Seems pretty solid. I hope Foster turns out to be just as solid.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#31 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

Fayne is worthy of my first post. Seems pretty solid. I hope Foster turns out to be just as solid.

Same, but unfortunately I am under the impression that Foster will be nowhere near as solid as Fayne. One can hope though, right?

#32 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,987 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:12 PM

Same, but unfortunately I am under the impression that Foster will be nowhere near as solid as Fayne. One can hope though, right?

Keep in mind Foster is also 30 years old (Fayne is 24), and he's played against rather poor competition and still managed to struggle this year, so I can't say I'm too hopeful. He does have a cannon of a shot though, so maybe he can help out the PP in some form.

Edited by nmigliore, 15 December 2011 - 08:12 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#33 robdeselich88

robdeselich88

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,695 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:37 PM

honestly- just has bad luck in front of the net...
img]http://jerseydatabase.com/sig/temp.png?ran=987145633[/img]

#34 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

This would be the people who hate Mark Fayne that I do not understand at all. I mean, everyone makes mistakes, but I haven't seen Fayne make any glaring mistakes that are the product of a complete mental lapse and he certainly hasn't made mistakes regularly enough to be that noticeable. He and Tallinder have been our best defensive pairing all year and the stats clearly back this up, so even though people like mvparise here think he sucks, the facts prove that he not only doesn't suck, he's played great.

#35 mvparise

mvparise

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

This would be the people who hate Mark Fayne that I do not understand at all. I mean, everyone makes mistakes, but I haven't seen Fayne make any glaring mistakes that are the product of a complete mental lapse and he certainly hasn't made mistakes regularly enough to be that noticeable. He and Tallinder have been our best defensive pairing all year and the stats clearly back this up, so even though people like mvparise here think he sucks, the facts prove that he not only doesn't suck, he's played great.

There ya go, fayne cant handle the puck behind the net, turns it over, they give up a goal. not to mention he makes basically NO effort to block it while zajac who is just coming back from injury is spralled out doing everything he can to block it and theres your boy fayne standing straight up, not coming at the man, and showing no signs of concern. you can put whatever confusing stats u want up. he sucks. do me a favor in each of those rediculous stats u put up list the top 10 in each stat please.

#36 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:50 AM

There ya go, fayne cant handle the puck behind the net, turns it over, they give up a goal. not to mention he makes basically NO effort to block it while zajac who is just coming back from injury is spralled out doing everything he can to block it and theres your boy fayne standing straight up, not coming at the man, and showing no signs of concern. you can put whatever confusing stats u want up. he sucks. do me a favor in each of those rediculous stats u put up list the top 10 in each stat please.

Ok, so you can point out one mistake he made. Well, that mistake will affect those stats, so you just proved how certain statistics are indicative of overall play. Now if you would look at those OBJECTIVE statistics instead of your SUBJECTIVE view of his play, you'd see that his play has been good more often than not.

#37 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,469 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

I'm sorry facts confuse you. Maybe that's why you don't like Fayne.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#38 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,344 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:12 PM

I'm sorry facts confuse you. Maybe that's why you don't like Fayne.

Don't bother trying to talk sense into him. Go look at the $10 line thread in the marketplace section where he tried to defend line cutting until he was laughed off of it.

#39 Guadana

Guadana

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

omg
like this we can write about how zach parise is the worst now and find reasons for putting adam henrique down in albany =-)
best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#40 mvparise

mvparise

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

Mark fayne stop complaining to the ref and get back on defense, maybe then this game wouldnt be tied and you wouldnt look useless as usual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users