117 replies to this topic

#41 Onddeck

Onddeck

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,826 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:17 PM

the guy allllllmost ended it in OT and would've given himself something to cheer about

Somebody's gotta be the hero... Why not me?

#42 mvparise

mvparise

Prospect

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:44 AM

He had a harmless shot from the point on the rush in ot lol if thats almost ending it kovi almost has 80 goals this year

Ok, so you can point out one mistake he made. Well, that mistake will affect those stats, so you just proved how certain statistics are indicative of overall play. Now if you would look at those OBJECTIVE statistics instead of your SUBJECTIVE view of his play, you'd see that his play has been good more often than not.

Show me the facts i asked for so we can see who the elite dmen in the league are as.far as ur god awful stats go

Edited by mvparise, 24 December 2011 - 01:49 AM.

#43 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

Yeah its me lol no matter when i look at this website its always u arguing with someones opinion no matter what the subject. i swear u refresh this website every 5 minutes. the other 4 minutes youre stuffing ur face, sh!tting, or jerking off.

Hey you were the one bragging about being on all these message boards and how cool you were for that so obviously I am not the one who feels the need to be on these message boards constantly.

Your first post on here was to go and start sh!t with me about the $10 line. Half of your 50 or so posts are about that sh!tty $10 line and getting laughed off of it and the other half of all your posts is about mark fayne and you getting laughed off of this thread.

Basically every single one of your posts so far is you arguing with someone and getting laughed off of the thread, so really you are a hypocrite. Go look I'm the mirror there and if you have an issue with me we can always meet up at the rock and discuss this. I'm always willing to meet people face to face.

Edited by DevsMan84, 24 December 2011 - 08:23 AM.

#44 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:17 AM

Mark fayne stop complaining to the ref and get back on defense, maybe then this game wouldnt be tied and you wouldnt look useless as usual.

gotta agree with you on this one, he pi$$ed me off with that. a bad way to end a horrible shift

#45 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 10:27 PM

He had a harmless shot from the point on the rush in ot lol if thats almost ending it kovi almost has 80 goals this year

Show me the facts i asked for so we can see who the elite dmen in the league are as.far as ur god awful stats go

You're the one with the dissenting opinion on the matter, why don't you find your own stats to prove YOUR case. No need to convince the whole board of Mark Fayne's competency when they all agree on it already. Plus, no one ever said he was an "elite d-man", he's a competent one who's playing the hardest minutes of all the defensemen and managing quite well doing so. Right now, he's getting Mike Mottau'd into the top 4. Fayne will make a more than solid 5-6 d-man when all is said and done, but right now because of injuries and whatnot, he's playing the other team's top lines. So I'd like to now how exactly you figure we're continuing to win games if our top defensive pairing is sh!tting the bed every night? I'll tell you how, because they don't make bad plays nearly as often as they make the right play.

#46 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 11:48 PM

You're the one with the dissenting opinion on the matter, why don't you find your own stats to prove YOUR case. No need to convince the whole board of Mark Fayne's competency when they all agree on it already. Plus, no one ever said he was an "elite d-man", he's a competent one who's playing the hardest minutes of all the defensemen and managing quite well doing so. Right now, he's getting Mike Mottau'd into the top 4. Fayne will make a more than solid 5-6 d-man when all is said and done, but right now because of injuries and whatnot, he's playing the other team's top lines. So I'd like to now how exactly you figure we're continuing to win games if our top defensive pairing is sh!tting the bed every night? I'll tell you how, because they don't make bad plays nearly as often as they make the right play.

Mark Fayne is not a 5th or 6th d man, I don't get why people keep insisting this, or where it even came from to begin with. Is it because he wasn't a first round pick? Or wasn't touted coming out of college? He's legit. Why are you damning him with faint praise?

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#47 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:27 AM

Mark Fayne is not a 5th or 6th d man, I don't get why people keep insisting this, or where it even came from to begin with. Is it because he wasn't a first round pick? Or wasn't touted coming out of college? He's legit. Why are you damning him with faint praise?

I just at this moment in time can't imagine another team with a more solid d-corps that would utilize him as a top 4 guy as we are doing. I'm not saying he's not a good defenseman, but rather than at this moment, he would most likely be better suited as a 5-6 guy, not a 1-2 like he's being used now. I think he's an above average 3rd pairing guy, but I don't think he's better than that right now. In the future he may become a 3-4 guy, but I don't think he'll make it any better than that, do you?

#48 lilgriffey84

lilgriffey84

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:44 AM

fayne has been a pleasant suprise

#49 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:53 AM

Mark fayne stop complaining to the ref and get back on defense, maybe then this game wouldnt be tied and you wouldnt look useless as usual.

:troll1:

#50 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

I thought he was our best defenseman against the Caps. He shut down Ovechkin most of the game and never game him time and space to get off his wicked shot. He's a solid but not flashy d-man, something that every team needs.
Posted Image

#51 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

I thought he was our best defenseman against the Caps. He shut down Ovechkin most of the game and never game him time and space to get off his wicked shot. He's a solid but not flashy d-man, something that every team needs.

+1

#52 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

I just at this moment in time can't imagine another team with a more solid d-corps that would utilize him as a top 4 guy as we are doing. I'm not saying he's not a good defenseman, but rather than at this moment, he would most likely be better suited as a 5-6 guy, not a 1-2 like he's being used now. I think he's an above average 3rd pairing guy, but I don't think he's better than that right now. In the future he may become a 3-4 guy, but I don't think he'll make it any better than that, do you?

The sky's the limit for Fayne, imo. He can skate, he makes a good first pass, and he's good positionally. He's pretty much jumped into the NHL and goes up against the best the opponent has to offer. The other night, he's up against Ovechkin.

On another team, Fayne might not have gotten a shot to play such difficult minutes right away, but he is quite good. And 2 years ago this time he was playing in Hockey East.

#53 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

I've been Fayne's biggest supporter in my family ... My Dad and Brother used to be so critical of him, but they're coming around too. He makes the correct play way more often than not.

#54 Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*

Guest_BelieveinBrodeur_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

Young solid D-man. Like him way more then Tallinder. Seems to to our best Offensive D Man as well

#55 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

FYI: Mark Fayne sucks. Just tonight he had one bad giveaway, bobbled the play twice that I saw, and couldn't hit the net to save his life.
The Criticisms are well deserved (and the stats offered here to defend him are poor stats to use in evaluating defensemen).

#56 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,425 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:37 AM

FYI: Mark Fayne sucks. Just tonight he had one bad giveaway, bobbled the play twice that I saw, and couldn't hit the net to save his life.
The Criticisms are well deserved (and the stats offered here to defend him are poor stats to use in evaluating defensemen).

Yeah, the fact that he is matched against the other team's best when at home and comes out slightly ahead - that's a poor way to evaluate defensemen. No doubt you've come up with a better way.

#57 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:01 AM

Mark Fayne was an emergency call up last season and has had a steep learning curve. Chew on this: Adam Larsson has more experience playing professional hockey than Mark Fayne.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#58 nessus

nessus

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:06 AM

Yeah, he is quickly becoming the most reliable defenseman on the team, in my opinion. He plays like a veteran and rarely makes the wrong decision. I'll admit tonight wasn't a great game for him, but every other night, he's quite possibly our best defenseman. I really wonder what type of player he will be a year or two from now.

#59 thefiestygoat

thefiestygoat

A Legend

• Members
  • 12,182 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 02:25 AM

What stats would you prefer? Also using 1 game is a real small sample size and using a game like tonight would make any Devils defensemen look bad - they got demolished in possession. The Devils were lucky to get a point out of the game. Its easy to nitpick on a game to game, play to play basis.

RIP Pat Burns -- RIP Alexander Vasyunov and Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
Winner of the 2008 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster
Co-Winner of the 2011 Scott Bertoli Award for Best Minor League Poster, Winner of the 2012 Scott Bertoli Award

#60 ohms law

ohms law

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

What stats would you prefer? Also using 1 game is a real small sample size and using a game like tonight would make any Devils defensemen look bad - they got demolished in possession. The Devils were lucky to get a point out of the game. Its easy to nitpick on a game to game, play to play basis.

I've been watching his blocks, giveaways, takeaways, and TOI (which he's been receiving a lot of) all season long... but, really, I've just been watching him.
Here's the thing; I'm a die hear sabermatrician, so the arguments about quantitative measurements and lessening reliance on opinions really hit home. And, he's certainly improved since October (which is easy, since he couldn't have been worse in October).

It's just... we're talking about hockey, which is a terrible sport to attempt to model statistically, and what's worse is that were talking about a defenseman, which makes the majority of stats utterly useless. Corsi is a passable stat to use in order to get a feel for forwards, but it's a horrendous stat to evaluate defensemen with, especially defensemen who are supposed to have an offensive touch like Fayne is. It totally skews what happens from all of those missed shots from the point, and it completely misses the breakout pass problems that is a huge part of Fayne's game as is one of the biggest areas where he's been hurting us this season.

Interestingly, I think he actually had a better game than usual last night.

But, whatever. He's supposed to be super-talented or something, so I don't realistically expect to change anyone's opinion. A couple of people who are Fayne supporters seem to be the more outspoken critics of Tallinder (based on one big giveaway that lead to a shorthanded goal, as far as I can tell), which is just silly to me.

Edited by ohms law, 03 January 2012 - 12:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users