26 replies to this topic

#21 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

Nothing has changed. The NHL and teams have finally decided to diagnose these injuries as concussions and are putting proper protocols in place. Up to last year, players would be returning heroically to play in the next game like Stevens against Tampa in 2003 and Crosby after the Winter Classic. We have seen how stupid that was.

While I believe that the NHL is going in the right direction in dealing with concussions the past few seasons, it must be pointed out that Stevens coming back in that series, and the rest of the 2003 playoffs, basically led to us winning our third Cup. We likely would not have won it without him. While Stevens could have had severe long term effects from his decision to keep playing, at least something good came out of it. Just goes to show you how good, strong, and tough he really was.
Posted Image

#22 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,123 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 10:16 AM

While I believe that the NHL is going in the right direction in dealing with concussions the past few seasons, it must be pointed out that Stevens coming back in that series, and the rest of the 2003 playoffs, basically led to us winning our third Cup. We likely would not have won it without him. While Stevens could have had severe long term effects from his decision to keep playing, at least something good came out of it. Just goes to show you how good, strong, and tough he really was.

Stevens winning the Cup should not have to be pointed out or have a star next to it. The fact is he shouldn't have been playing and perhaps continuing to play ended his career. Now maybe that 3rd Cup to him is worth his career ending short. After all his career ending short was at over 40 when he had already was in the top 10 of games all-time. But was it worth Crosby playing 1 extra game if he never recovers? Would it be worth for Marc Savard if he came back too early 2-3 times. What about Kariya and Lindros? And it certainly might not be worth it for anyone who came back early if their are long-term affects that ruin people's lives after hockey.

I don't think it goes to show "how good, strong, and tough" Scott Stevens was. People have been playing hockey and other physical sports for years minutes, hours, and days after a concussion. It just shows how either dumb we have been, or how little we have known.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#23 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Stevens' career didn't end because of the concussion. It ended because of the lockout and his age. He obviously was affected the following season, and missed 1/2 the year and playoffs in 2004, but he will be the first to admit that the lockout made him realize he wouldn't miss playing when he retired, and he enjoyed being around his family.

Playing with a concussion, especially one that he had following the slapshot to the ear, is not easy. Is it stupid? Absolutely. But you have to give him some credit for doing what he felt was right, playing through the obvious pain and discomfort while competiting at such a high level so that the effects of the concussion were almost not noticable in route to his 3rd Cup. He was a professional athlete. They are all supercompetitive. There was no way he wasn't going to play if the decision was left up to him (which it shouldn't have been). If anyone, you have to blame the Devils organization and doctors for not forcing him to sit out. That is why I give him credit.
Posted Image

#24 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

Stevens' career didn't end because of the concussion. It ended because of the lockout and his age. He obviously was affected the following season, and missed 1/2 the year and playoffs in 2004, but he will be the first to admit that the lockout made him realize he wouldn't miss playing when he retired, and he enjoyed being around his family.

+1

The pads should only be firm enough to prevent a player from getting hurt when he hits the ice. Nothing more. I like Puckrock's idea: Bring back the red line.

i like this idea too. in not only concussion question
before2005hockey was more interest(just for me), without run_and_shot methods
best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#25 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:11 PM

I'd like the NHL to go with bigger rinks (either international sized rinks, or something on that order), on top of softer pads. Not sure if that would stop the wave of concussions or not, but it should be something that is at least studied as it seems like it would open up the game more. However, it's likely a non-starter as NHL owners would throw a fit as they would lose premium seating in their areans to accomodate a bigger ice surface.

As far as the pads go, I agree with the post above. No need to have players using RoboCop's pads out there, and the goalie pads should be shrunk to 1985 sizes as well.
Posted Image

#26 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

bigger rinks in europe it`s boring
no speed no agressiv
just rolling the puck
in KHL talks about small rinks - becouse it`s better for speed for show and in small rinks players must think faster - it`s so hot in NHL. please don`t make mistake with rinks
best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#27 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Stevens winning the Cup should not have to be pointed out or have a star next to it. The fact is he shouldn't have been playing and perhaps continuing to play ended his career. Now maybe that 3rd Cup to him is worth his career ending short. After all his career ending short was at over 40 when he had already was in the top 10 of games all-time. But was it worth Crosby playing 1 extra game if he never recovers? Would it be worth for Marc Savard if he came back too early 2-3 times. What about Kariya and Lindros? And it certainly might not be worth it for anyone who came back early if their are long-term affects that ruin people's lives after hockey.

I don't think it goes to show "how good, strong, and tough" Scott Stevens was. People have been playing hockey and other physical sports for years minutes, hours, and days after a concussion. It just shows how either dumb we have been, or how little we have known.

Yup, this. It seems like there have been much greater numbers of people who have gotten concussions THIS year. I dont know if it has to do with all of the deaths that occurred over the summer that may have been concussion related or maybe technology just got better. Whatever the case may be, the league really needs to start making some drastic changes. Giroux, Crosby, Michalek, Skinner, M Staal....the list is getting absolutely ridiculous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users