Brodeur sees road’s end

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/devils/brodeur_sees_road_end_JPXfH2dedfaN4YZRqUr0PJ

“I will make the decision before somebody makes it for me,” the Devils’ netminder said. “No one will have to tell me when it’s time for me to go.”

“I’m having fun this year, though. I really like the guys here, I like the way Zach [Parise] is growing as a captain, and the way Kovy [ilya Kovalchuk] is buying into it and doing what a superstar should do, which is being a team guy, and the way the young guys are learning what it means to be a part of the Devils.

“I understand that things change, and it’s been a while since we were where we want to go, but I like the direction we’re going. I like that we’ve put up plaques around our room signifying past trophy winners and championships so that the young guys know that we have a great tradition of winning here. And I think the coach [Pete DeBoer] is doing a really good job, at least that’s my opinion.”

“I don’t believe I would do anything outside the Devils’ organization,” Brodeur said.

That was actually a very good article, excellent if you consider its from Larry Brooks and the Post

Marty should go out in style, on a good team with a decent record, instead of milking out another year or so, he'll have a job with the Devils whenever he wants one, yeah I think he'll retire after this season.

Got to go to the last game(s) this season and cheer like crazy for him.

I was honestly surprised Brooks wrote that article. That was a good one.

The last two lines really should make you appreciate the kind of athlete Brodeur is.

“I’m completely aware of the choices that I am going to have to make. I’m not going to play just to keep playing. I’m not going to play just for more money.

“I have my pride. I’ll know the right thing to do.”

How many greats have we seen play past their prime, only to kinda embarrass themselves? Looks like we won't have to experience that with Marty

Edited by Devilsfan118

From the tone of the article I got the feeling he'll play one more year actually. I don't think he's ready to hang 'em up. He'll stick around one more time.

I don't know. From when he said he knows that it could be his last time in montreal and other rinks that seemed to me like he'd retire. Go out in style with a win in his hometown.

I don't know. From when he said he knows that it could be his last time in montreal and other rinks that seemed to me like he'd retire. Go out in style with a win in his hometown.

That statement to me just meant that he's actually starting to think about when he'll retire. It's beginning to hit him.

The main thing for Marty and the future of the Devils is right now the Devils have no options moving forward. Johan Hedberg is only a year or two younger than Marty and has been a full-time start once in his career?

So there is definitely no one pushing Brodeur out internally. It isn't like Corey Schneider is our backup. I doubt Lou would ever force Marty out, but now it is clear he wouldn't. I don't think Lou would feel comfortable trading a lot for a goalie either.

So with that in mind, I see Brodeur being here for a little longer as long as Marty wants to keep going. And it seems like he is still having a ton of fun.

The main thing for Marty and the future of the Devils is right now the Devils have no options moving forward. Johan Hedberg is only a year or two younger than Marty and has been a full-time start once in his career?

So there is definitely no one pushing Brodeur out internally. It isn't like Corey Schneider is our backup. I doubt Lou would ever force Marty out, but now it is clear he wouldn't. I don't think Lou would feel comfortable trading a lot for a goalie either.

So with that in mind, I see Brodeur being here for a little longer as long as Marty wants to keep going. And it seems like he is still having a ton of fun.

He might be having a lot of fun, but he had a .903 save percentage last year and now has an .886 save percentage this year. I don't think Brodeur will put Lou through the wringer, but it's becoming clear that the Devils are going to need to go in a different direction.

I guess the devils will have to win the cup this year! One last time for marty! :w00t:

This. I've always wanted him to get that 4th cup. It would be great if he could go out like Dano winning one.

• Like 1

This part jumped out at me.

Martin Brodeur played his first game for the Devils on March 26, 1992, three years, one month and 28 days before Mariano Rivera first stepped on the mound for the Yankees; three years, two months and three days before Derek Jeter played his first game in pinstripes.

The goaltender will one day be on our sports Mount Rushmore, with Rivera, Jeter and a very select group of players who arrived as teenagers and grew into men here, all the time epitomizing professionalism while delivering multiple championships — all the while the essence of the teams they represent.

would be nice to see him go out on top instead of in a decline. Don't want him to go all Favre on us and not know when to hang 'em up and just step aside. He's broken so many records, won 3 cups, scored a goal...there's pretty much nothing left for him to accomplish he hasn't done already. Sit back, wait a couple years and see #30 go to the rafters beside 3, 4 and now 27

I guess the devils will have to win the cup this year! One last time for marty! :w00t:

Unfortunately, unless Brodeur magically finds his game at the end of the season, I don't see how we're even capable of winning a cup at this point. I believe very strongly that we'll get into the playoffs, but once we're in we really don't have the goaltending to go very far.