#1 Rock

Rock

The News Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,569 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:06 AM

http://www.nypost.co...edfaN4YZRqUr0PJ

“I will make the decision before somebody makes it for me,” the Devils’ netminder said. “No one will have to tell me when it’s time for me to go.”

“I’m having fun this year, though. I really like the guys here, I like the way Zach [Parise] is growing as a captain, and the way Kovy [Ilya Kovalchuk] is buying into it and doing what a superstar should do, which is being a team guy, and the way the young guys are learning what it means to be a part of the Devils.

“I understand that things change, and it’s been a while since we were where we want to go, but I like the direction we’re going. I like that we’ve put up plaques around our room signifying past trophy winners and championships so that the young guys know that we have a great tradition of winning here. And I think the coach [Pete DeBoer] is doing a really good job, at least that’s my opinion.”

“I don’t believe I would do anything outside the Devils’ organization,” Brodeur said.
Hockey is life, the rest is just details.

#2 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:28 AM

Very nice read. I like his thinking. This year and then it's done.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#3 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:47 AM

I may be in a minority here and I've never really been a big Marty fan, but I'll support him as long as he wants. If he wants to go another two or three years even if they are mediocre and a shadow of his former self, he has earned it as far as I'm concerned.

#4 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:57 AM

That was actually a very good article, excellent if you consider its from Larry Brooks and the Post

Marty should go out in style, on a good team with a decent record, instead of milking out another year or so, he'll have a job with the Devils whenever he wants one, yeah I think he'll retire after this season.
Got to go to the last game(s) this season and cheer like crazy for him.

#5 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:20 AM

Good article. I think he should be thinking about this. Its closer then most people think.

I would still like to see him come back as the Goaltending Coach for the Devils.

Edited by Quinn01, 18 December 2011 - 11:29 AM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#6 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:26 AM

Well at least this answers the question of whether or not he will finish his career here.

#7 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,036 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

I was honestly surprised Brooks wrote that article. That was a good one.

The last two lines really should make you appreciate the kind of athlete Brodeur is.

“I’m completely aware of the choices that I am going to have to make. I’m not going to play just to keep playing. I’m not going to play just for more money.
“I have my pride. I’ll know the right thing to do.”

How many greats have we seen play past their prime, only to kinda embarrass themselves? Looks like we won't have to experience that with Marty

Edited by Devilsfan118, 18 December 2011 - 11:53 AM.

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#8 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,432 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

This sort of thing is usually reserved for Stevens but...

Posted Image

I've been on this same page and I just hope people can relax now and allow him to just enjoy the season.

I'm here for the party

#9 Dadds

Dadds

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:44 PM

I guess the devils will have to win the cup this year! One last time for marty! :w00t:
"I think I'm going to become a Devils fan so they start never winning again." A sad flyers fan

"**** this. NJ might as well be allowed to build a brick wall in front of the net and let Marty sit on the bench. Would be no difference" A sad penguins fan

#10 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:47 PM

From the tone of the article I got the feeling he'll play one more year actually. I don't think he's ready to hang 'em up. He'll stick around one more time.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#11 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

From the tone of the article I got the feeling he'll play one more year actually. I don't think he's ready to hang 'em up. He'll stick around one more time.

I don't know. From when he said he knows that it could be his last time in montreal and other rinks that seemed to me like he'd retire. Go out in style with a win in his hometown.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#12 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

I don't know. From when he said he knows that it could be his last time in montreal and other rinks that seemed to me like he'd retire. Go out in style with a win in his hometown.

That statement to me just meant that he's actually starting to think about when he'll retire. It's beginning to hit him.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#13 devilsrule33

devilsrule33

A Legend

• Mod
  • 12,126 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:34 PM

The main thing for Marty and the future of the Devils is right now the Devils have no options moving forward. Johan Hedberg is only a year or two younger than Marty and has been a full-time start once in his career?

So there is definitely no one pushing Brodeur out internally. It isn't like Corey Schneider is our backup. I doubt Lou would ever force Marty out, but now it is clear he wouldn't. I don't think Lou would feel comfortable trading a lot for a goalie either.

So with that in mind, I see Brodeur being here for a little longer as long as Marty wants to keep going. And it seems like he is still having a ton of fun.

"The Stanley Cup has fallen from the Stars. The new millennium has its first Stanley Cup Champion, and it's the New Jersey Devils." Mike Miller calling the Devils winning the Stanley Cup.

"It goes to the captain and then there are handoffs during a skate around the ice" Mike Emrick as Scott Stevens is being presented the Stanley Cup.

#14 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

The main thing for Marty and the future of the Devils is right now the Devils have no options moving forward. Johan Hedberg is only a year or two younger than Marty and has been a full-time start once in his career?

So there is definitely no one pushing Brodeur out internally. It isn't like Corey Schneider is our backup. I doubt Lou would ever force Marty out, but now it is clear he wouldn't. I don't think Lou would feel comfortable trading a lot for a goalie either.

So with that in mind, I see Brodeur being here for a little longer as long as Marty wants to keep going. And it seems like he is still having a ton of fun.

He might be having a lot of fun, but he had a .903 save percentage last year and now has an .886 save percentage this year. I don't think Brodeur will put Lou through the wringer, but it's becoming clear that the Devils are going to need to go in a different direction.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#15 DevilNurn

DevilNurn

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,131 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

Good read, well-written article by Brooks. Sounds like Brodeur is in the right mindset. I'm still comfortable with him playing this year so I'm not counting next year out just yet.

#16 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:03 PM

i has a sadz :evilcry:
Posted Image

#17 Guadana

Guadana

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:06 PM

we have much d-man prospects
urbom taormina gelinas burlon scarlett corrente
we MUST trade someone if we real need goalie
can wedgwood goes to ahl in next year?
best jersey - jersey without surnames - only with numbers

#18 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,775 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

In another shocking Brodeur stat - how many times do you think he's held a team to fewer than 2 goals in a game he finished? Just once.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#19 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:31 PM

I guess the devils will have to win the cup this year! One last time for marty! :w00t:

This. I've always wanted him to get that 4th cup. It would be great if he could go out like Dano winning one.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#20 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

that would make him the only devil with 4 cups oui?
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users