95 replies to this topic

#21 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 06:06 PM

i think he'll come back for one more year,esp if he starts to win consecutive games and gets a streak going. Even though he's not as sharp as he once was, hes still better than most.

#22 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 07:43 PM

This part jumped out at me.

Martin Brodeur played his first game for the Devils on March 26, 1992, three years, one month and 28 days before Mariano Rivera first stepped on the mound for the Yankees; three years, two months and three days before Derek Jeter played his first game in pinstripes.

The goaltender will one day be on our sports Mount Rushmore, with Rivera, Jeter and a very select group of players who arrived as teenagers and grew into men here, all the time epitomizing professionalism while delivering multiple championships — all the while the essence of the teams they represent.

#23 hattrick

hattrick

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:33 PM

Sadly, the Marty Party is coming to an end :( I think he has another 2 years remaining but I'm an optimist.
Good Is Not Good Where Better Is Expected

#24 Legion15

Legion15

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,896 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:57 PM

would be nice to see him go out on top instead of in a decline. Don't want him to go all Favre on us and not know when to hang 'em up and just step aside. He's broken so many records, won 3 cups, scored a goal...there's pretty much nothing left for him to accomplish he hasn't done already. Sit back, wait a couple years and see #30 go to the rafters beside 3, 4 and now 27

WtnoJnL.jpg
One Day at a Time

#25 Amberite

Amberite

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

I guess the devils will have to win the cup this year! One last time for marty! :w00t:

Unfortunately, unless Brodeur magically finds his game at the end of the season, I don't see how we're even capable of winning a cup at this point. I believe very strongly that we'll get into the playoffs, but once we're in we really don't have the goaltending to go very far.

#26 NewarkDevil5

NewarkDevil5

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,207 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:23 PM

Unfortunately, unless Brodeur magically finds his game at the end of the season, I don't see how we're even capable of winning a cup at this point. I believe very strongly that we'll get into the playoffs, but once we're in we really don't have the goaltending to go very far.

I'd feel more comfortable at this point with the Moose in net for the playoffs than with Marty. It's not what anyone wants to hear said, but it's just how I feel and I'm pretty sure a good chunk of other fans feel the same way.

Newark: The City of New Jersey

gallery_45_180_172422.png

#27 Marshall

Marshall

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,367 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:59 AM

I'd feel more comfortable at this point with the Moose in net for the playoffs than with Marty. It's not what anyone wants to hear said, but it's just how I feel and I'm pretty sure a good chunk of other fans feel the same way.

Yep, agreed.

Winner of the 2009-10 Slava Fetisov Award For Best International Poster
Winner of the 2011-2012 RD Avatar Award

#28 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:11 AM

All i hope is that if hes coming back for a last season that hes resiging real cheap... If hes really coming back for a last run prove it and take less so we cant afford some nIce ufas

Also im not sure marty is 100% comfortable with our style... I dont feel like hunting for quotes but he said many times that we won in the past because of our D andsaid many little hints here and there that were not built like we were before and all

www.SterioDesign.com

#29 Sykie

Sykie

Draft Pick

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:28 AM

First post in a while here. My last posts were made into the previous forums... so quite a few years.

I would be fine with one last year for Marty. It would be his 20th and last year and a great way to end his career IMO.

But to this point, I would see him more as a back-up than anything though. If he could accept one last year to a hometown discount, I would be fine with that.

Edited by Sykie, 19 December 2011 - 07:29 AM.

#30 BlueSkirt

BlueSkirt

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,844 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:44 PM

I'm not sure anything will change, but let's see how he plays in the 2nd half. Like we saw last year, sometimes teams (or athletes) get into a cycle of suck. Eventually the winning returned Hopefully he'll break out of it soon enough. Bring back Jacques Caron !

#31 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

I totally agree with you. I feel Moose is more consistent this year then Marty.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#32 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

His save% over his last 5 is .905. Not great by any stretch, but starting to approach respectability.

His numbers in wins and losses are vastly different this season: a 2.25 GAA with a .918 save% in wins, and a 4.14 GAA with an .845 save% in losses. What's interesting is that both save%s are down about the same amount from the previous three seasons. Over the last three, he was in the .940s in wins, and in the .870s in losses. So basically, over the last three years and this one, his winning save% is about .07 better than his losing save%, but both winning and losing save%s are about .03 down from his recent norms. EDIT: it bears noting that he had a lot more losses last season (compared to wins), so that .870s losing percentage represented a larger sample than usual.

Triumph's already pointed out the one number that really matters: .886 save% That ranks him 42nd in the NHL in that category. Only two NHL goaltenders are worse than that, at .882 (Steve Mason and Dwayne Roloson). He can't stay at that number for too much longer...that pretty much guarantees 3+ goals a night, which is going to make it tough to win in the NHL most nights. I would take .905-.910 for Marty at this point, provided he's not starting more than half his team's games.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 19 December 2011 - 01:12 PM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#33 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

But to this point, I would see him more as a back-up than anything though. If he could accept one last year to a hometown discount, I would be fine with that.

i really like this idea and would think he would too, as a strict backup he can get up for those games and take a victory lap still visit the rinks, play more role behind the scenes...

everyone knows how tough it is to get old as an athelete and this allows him to still be in the game...

maybe pay him a player contract and a supplemental management salary :uni:

edit;an issue is how the team plays for him and can we agree if you crunch the #'s there is a differance when moose is in...i dunno less turnover or more hits or better offense i dunno but it is there.

the team is just clicking regardless...remember how slow they looked to start.

Edited by lazer, 19 December 2011 - 01:08 PM.

Posted Image

#34 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:12 PM

...that pretty much guarantees 3+ goals a night, which is going to make it tough to win in the NHL most nights.

this is the new NHL, im all for starting marty, it would be retarded not to...we need to score more than 3 hah
Posted Image

#35 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

this is the new NHL, im all for starting marty, it would be retarded not to...we need to score more than 3 hah

22 out of 30 teams in the "new" NHL are scoring less than 3 per game. Brodeur ranks 35th in GAA at 3.08.

Not giving up on Marty yet, but a 3.08 GAA and .886 save% in today's NHL isn't going to cut it long-term.
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#36 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:37 PM

right...cool story i remember as a kid going to games to watch terreri and ppfft whos this new guy now

alot of teams are clogging up the nuetral zone now that we are not, its like karma

Edited by lazer, 19 December 2011 - 01:41 PM.

Posted Image

#37 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:17 PM

22 out of 30 teams in the "new" NHL are scoring less than 3 per game. Brodeur ranks 35th in GAA at 3.08.

Not giving up on Marty yet, but a 3.08 GAA and .886 save% in today's NHL isn't going to cut it long-term.

And with our forwards we definitely need to do better than 18th in the league in goals per game. Our goaltending has been sub-par but we definitely are due to start scoring more than 3, more often. Especially when 3 other teams in your division are in the top 10 in goals per game, with 2 of them over 3 p/g.

Edited by ben00rs, 19 December 2011 - 05:20 PM.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#38 redruM

redruM

Hockey God

• Members
  • 6,518 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:47 PM

I love Broduer, he should go down as the greatest ever, but his time is up, nothing proved thst more to me then the replays of Neids greatest games the last few weeks... that Marty is the one I want to remember, not the one of the last 5 years, he is so much slower than he used to be.

I hope Marty does the smart thing and retires after this year....
Posted Image

2006 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2006 JHL CHAMPION!!
2005 CHAMPION of the 1st Annual NJDevs Fantasy Wrestling League!!!
2005 Finalist 1st Annual NJDEVS Fantasy Baseball League
2005 Pat Burns Award Winner(Most emotional Poster)
2004 LockOut Trivia CHAMP!!!

Keeper of The original Welcome to Hell Forum, Jimmy Dowd, Brian Rolston, "Christmas Tree" Jersey's and the Original Trade Documents of the FREEZE man!!

BOM U11G Dynamite

Posted Image

#39 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:49 PM

I have to admit, I may shed a tear the day he announces retirement. I grew up watching this guys career. He, like every other Devils fan, is one of my favorite players of all time, even in his darkest days.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#40 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,745 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

I love Broduer, he should go down as the greatest ever, but his time is up, nothing proved thst more to me then the replays of Neids greatest games the last few weeks... that Marty is the one I want to remember, not the one of the last 5 years, he is so much slower than he used to be.

I hope Marty does the smart thing and retires after this year....

Why do people insist on perpetuating myths when it comes to Marty?

Look at his numbers over the last five years, and you'll see one bad half...last season's first half. The rest of that time, his numbers were quite good:

Career save%: .913
Save%s last five seasons: .922, .920, .916, .916, .903. In three of those seasons he faced the most shots, the 3rd most shots, and the 4th most shots for a full season in his career. So it's not like his job had gotten any easier. His recent playoff numbers have been uneven, but so has the entire team's performance.

This season has been rough...the record at 8-8 isn't too bad, but the other numbers are, and like I've said, they can't stay there. And I'm sure, based on Marty's quotes, he'll call it a career if he can't improve upon them.

As for greatest ever: one of them, sure. Definitely the most durable, and he didn't really see a significant drop-off in performance until last year (first half, anyway). Roy was a little more clutch, and Hasek was a better pure puck-stopper...his save%s were absurd. Neither of them could play the puck like Marty. You could make a case for any of them, really.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 20 December 2011 - 11:01 AM.

#30 FOREVER!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users