32 replies to this topic

#21 Bulletproof

Bulletproof

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,734 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:29 PM

Opponents are not going to let Kovalchuk 'set up' and rip shots all day long like you're suggesting. Nor do I think that's a particularly good strategy even if they did, because if he's missing those shots high and wide it will probably result in free clears for the opponent.

I don't think Kovalchuk is a good player when he's stationary and someone's coming at him - a position that he will find himself in a lot over there.

While this is true, you would think he should be a good player in that one on one position. Truth is, you're right, he really isn't. He has the hands and the skill to be able to beat d-men one on one, but just doesn't often enough. Still, PK units are going to have to respect him in what my co-host calls, "The Stamkos Spot", leaving other people open down low or at the point. The real problem is that nobody respects or should respect our shot from the point. Fayne has nice low, accurate shot and Foster has the potential, but that's about it. Like you said, opposing D's will just collapse down low, daring out point shot to beat them.

In the end, it's our lack of offense from the point that's really killing our PP. It's improving but that's not saying much considering how bad its been.
Posted Image

DevsCast: The latest and greatest Devils podcast on the Internet or my handle 'aint Bulletproof! Click Here to subscribe via iTunes or Click Here to download mp3 versions of the show. Perfect for wasting time at work!

#22 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:04 PM

I have to admit the Devils thus far have exceeded my expectations. Henrique has really impressed me, Parise has upped his game since missing the penalty shot a few weeks ago and Clarkson is finally getting used correctly for the first time since Sutter. Elias is Elias: an underrated superstar.

I still don' t think we have a strong enough D to make the playoffs (although with Crosby and Pronger out, they maybe close).

At first blush, I was against the Foster deal, as he hasn't done very well the past few years (Edmonton couldn' t wait to get rid of him and Anaheim didn't think he was good enough to play). But watching him on the PP and putting Kovy at the circle he looks like the PP QB the team has needed for a while.

Kudo's to Lou.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#23 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:33 PM

Opponents are not going to let Kovalchuk 'set up' and rip shots all day long like you're suggesting. Nor do I think that's a particularly good strategy even if they did, because if he's missing those shots high and wide it will probably result in free clears for the opponent.

I don't think Kovalchuk is a good player when he's stationary and someone's coming at him - a position that he will find himself in a lot over there.

yeah you're right on some point, im just not sure we'll keep that pace on the PP, just pointed out another setup that we could try... with how bad we are i can't see why they wouldnt try anything different

www.SterioDesign.com

#24 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,182 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

I have to admit the Devils thus far have exceeded my expectations. Henrique has really impressed me, Parise has upped his game since missing the penalty shot a few weeks ago and Clarkson is finally getting used correctly for the first time since Sutter. Elias is Elias: an underrated superstar.

I still don' t think we have a strong enough D to make the playoffs (although with Crosby and Pronger out, they maybe close).

At first blush, I was against the Foster deal, as he hasn't done very well the past few years (Edmonton couldn' t wait to get rid of him and Anaheim didn't think he was good enough to play). But watching him on the PP and putting Kovy at the circle he looks like the PP QB the team has needed for a while.

Kudo's to Lou.

Oh my, something positive. :)

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#25 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:52 PM

yeah you're right on some point, im just not sure we'll keep that pace on the PP, just pointed out another setup that we could try... with how bad we are i can't see why they wouldnt try anything different

I don't think it's the setup that's the problem, we're seeing the power play work much better in recent weeks.

The problem is: zone entries and puck movement, and I think we're seeing a lot better puck movement. Larsson was simply not ready to be on an NHL power play. The second unit's a disaster, but that's just how it's going to be.

As for Kovalchuk being poor when he's stationary, I don't really see that as a problem, Bulletproof - that's not where Kovalchuk excels. He can use his speed to get defenders to make mistakes, but he doesn't have an explosive first step, and I think he uses a long stick which makes it harder to stickhandle in tight spaces.

Edited by Triumph, 19 December 2011 - 03:54 PM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#26 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,382 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 03:54 PM

Oh my, something positive. :)

It must be the holiday season.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#27 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:02 PM

Opponents are not going to let Kovalchuk 'set up' and rip shots all day long like you're suggesting.

Which opens things up for other players. The Elias goal on the PP Saturday was possible partially because the D had to respect Kovy's shot. Kovy's a good enough passer that he'll find the open man if there is one. We need to be a little creative, since our point shots aren't scaring anyone.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#28 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:16 PM

Larsson is going to play and should play over Foster if it comes to that. Just give him mental health days here and there. This is the price you pay for playing a defenseman in an 18/19 year old season most of the time. Pulling the plug at any point defeats the purpose.

As for goalies, I don't think Moose has been outplaying Marty lately, as it was the case a few weeks earlier. There's an air of randomness to their defensive play and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a run where people don't want Moose in there and want Marty in there instead.

Frankly they suck defensively. Maybe not in bulk, but they can create an opportunity against themselves sometimes even better than the opposing offense can create it themselves. They don't give up that many goals where "player x shoots the puck and beats goalie y". There's normally something epic and hilarious going on

#29 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 06:53 PM

Frankly they suck defensively. Maybe not in bulk, but they can create an opportunity against themselves sometimes even better than the opposing offense can create it themselves. They don't give up that many goals where "player x shoots the puck and beats goalie y". There's normally something epic and hilarious going on

This is funny. I kind of agree ...

I'm here for the party

#30 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,561 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:40 PM

Larsson is going to play and should play over Foster if it comes to that. Just give him mental health days here and there. This is the price you pay for playing a defenseman in an 18/19 year old season most of the time. Pulling the plug at any point defeats the purpose.

As for goalies, I don't think Moose has been outplaying Marty lately, as it was the case a few weeks earlier. There's an air of randomness to their defensive play and I wouldn't be surprised if there's a run where people don't want Moose in there and want Marty in there instead.

Didn't we have this discussion last year? The Devils don't suck defensively. Now that Zajac is back, the biggest defensive problem is moved to the 4th line (Carter). Larsson will make his share of horrible mistakes and can be beat 1 on 1, but the team is above average defensively.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#31 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:51 AM

Which opens things up for other players. The Elias goal on the PP Saturday was possible partially because the D had to respect Kovy's shot. Kovy's a good enough passer that he'll find the open man if there is one. We need to be a little creative, since our point shots aren't scaring anyone.

That goal had more to do with the fact that the two PKers up top had to respect Foster's shot than it was Kovy's, although both played a part. The two PKers move high to take away Foster's shot and then he moved it to Kovy who whipped the pass to Elias while the lane was still open. I think that's how it went, right?

As for what d-man will sit when we get healthy, well, that's not an issue for at least another 3-4 weeks, so I guess we'll worry about it then, lol.

#32 Jas0nMacIsaac

Jas0nMacIsaac

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,362 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

Foster's shot will get respect and that should open the seam for Kovalchuk or Elias who are great passers. Kovalchuk passes so hard that he doesn't need much room. When seam's open up so do the plays down low. When one thing opens up everything opens up.
A true leader is one who knows when to step aside for others to lead.

#33 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,421 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

Foster's shot will get respect and that should open the seam for Kovalchuk or Elias who are great passers. Kovalchuk passes so hard that he doesn't need much room. When seam's open up so do the plays down low. When one thing opens up everything opens up.

:pray:

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users