537 replies to this topic

#441 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,787 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:19 AM

Awful loss only because its the rags, other than that, just a blip on the radar, team is playing very well.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#442 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:21 AM

I've never seen more Rangers fans at a game, and I've never experienced them being that bad.. Up by me in 226/227 they were worse than Philly fans in Philly.. And Devils fans couldn't say anything they just kept shouting sh!t

I know Devils fans like to take the high road but honestly I would have preferred to punch him in the face

It might have actually been worse than Game 5 in 2008, the only other time the Ranger fan presence has truly been 50-50 at the arena. Probably because it was a 24/7 game and Rag fans couldn't wait to take over the arena for a game that was going to be highlighted on HBO :P

But also, I think the tiered pricing has hurt us this year...certainly the last two games. The attendance for a Habs weekend game was way down and it's no accident imo that more Ranger fans are coming in with the tickets more expensive for us (but still below the Rangers' own prices).
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#443 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,560 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:36 AM

Am I happy about him declining? Of course not, I never said that.

Sure seems that way sometimes. Prodigy said it perfectly...you seem to think you had some profound insight and are now being proven correct now that Marty is truly playing like he's on the decline. I said in previous posts that it was impossible to predict what Marty would be this season. But yeah, at 39 and with his mileage, this isn't coming as a real surprise to anyone...we were all hoping for better, that he could build off his second half of last season, but clearly it hasn't happened.

What makes you annoying about this one particular topic is, like I've said, you make it sound like this kind of play has been the norm for several seasons now, and that somehow no one else has been able to see it except for you. I've pointed out in previous posts to you how, up until last season's first half, Marty's numbers have been as good or better than his career norms in recent seasons, despite facing MORE shots behind less-talented defenses, but you blow that off like none of that matters, and retort with statements like "Well, he hasn't played as well against the Rangers," like you need to find some kind of measuring stick, no matter how flawed, to prove that Marty's really been such a zilch for years now. Like beating the Rangers is the be all-end all of the Devils' world and the only thing that should count. Like his recent record against the Rangers negates everything else he did in the last five years or so.

Now I see you're even trying to negate what Marty's done against the Rangers in his prime, like he was just along for the ride. I am at a complete loss why you feel like the need to constantly downplay Marty's contributions to this franchise, but I've given up trying to figure that out, because you obviously have some issue with the guy that I'll never understand. When he was successful, it was all about the defense in front of him; now that he's struggling, it's because he's being exposed now that "Stevens and company" are gone, though he still played well after they had moved on. Whatever.

However if it bothers you a lot to be reminded that he is then that is on you as it is a fact and with stats to prove it this season. That is like people getting upset with me or anyone saying that the rangers are ahead of us in the standings. None of us are happy about it but it is a fact. How you take it is up to you.

Funny, NOW it's OK to use stats to back up YOUR point, but when others pointed out how the stats DIDN'T back up your whole "declining for years" argument, those stats didn't matter.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976, 21 December 2011 - 07:49 AM.

THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#444 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:07 AM

I found this exchange between Chico and Cangialosi particularly disturbing...

CHICO: "Next time the Rangers sell out MSG, we oughta drop a bomb on the building. A giant bomb. Just level the whole place. Kill everyone inside."
CANGIALOSI: "Chico...you're scaring me."
CHICO (MENACINGLY): "I'm starting to doubt your loyalty, Steve. Something you wanna share with me, ya little bitch?"
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#445 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:44 AM

CHICO: "Next time the Rangers sell out MSG, we oughta drop a bomb on the building. A giant bomb. Just level the whole place. Kill everyone inside."
CHICO (MENACINGLY): "I'm starting to doubt your loyalty, Steve. Something you wanna share with me, ya little bitch?"

Yeah -- that WAS!

At first he was all laughing and Chico-ish he was so cheerful saying it... but when that "li'l bitch" popped out almost under his breath like that ... I dont think he was kidding so much :mellow:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 21 December 2011 - 08:45 AM.

I'm here for the party

#446 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • 18,451 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

Actually did anyone notice.... Steve really was feeling the hate for the Rangers. Is he an Islander fan or hOnestly always a Devil fan?

One night when the Devils were playing the Islanders Dano cracked a joke to Deb - like "bet you'll like that" when she was going to be talking to an Islander... it was really funny - but he stopped himself kind of and they just let it drop. But I was thinking was that because she's such an Islander fan or because she used to work for them? She did right? or not? ANYHOW - it was really funny and playful and made me like Deb all the more

(I cannot spell AT ALL today not even my usual lisdexic stuff)

oh and here: **smoooooooch** that was for Scott Stevens. no NOT Marty... :giggle:

Edited by Pepperkorn, 21 December 2011 - 08:50 AM.

I'm here for the party

#447 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 08:56 AM

I thought the Devils played quite well, but Lundqvist and the Rangers overall team commitment to blocking shots was the difference. Kovalchuk had a great game I thought. As to his turnovers, Kovalchuk is trying to make things happen. As a result he's going to make riskier passes to try and pressure the Defense. It adds another element to the NJ offence (something we've been complaining about missing for years it seems) and that Kovalchuk/Henrique/Parise line has been clicking as a result. I'd much rather have him try things like that than just resort to dump and chase (which is also basically turning the puck over, only in a less dangerous area).

Larsson also had a strong game I thought. I think Foster taking over his PP duties has either kicked his ass into gear or he's gotten more comfortable with the smaller workload.

Elephant in the room: Brodeur is a big problem this year. I really hope we don't look at the end of the year and see that Brodeur's play is what kept us out of the playoffs.

Among qualified goaltenders, he's 42 of 44 in save percentage
http://espn.go.com/n...12/seasontype/2

Exactly, he's getting killed for a risky pinch on a PP where we are down in the third period! ok, play it safe and let the rags clear. .

#448 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

:rofl:

And maybe the funniest part is the idea of Chico doing anything in a menacing manner.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#449 Microwavepizza

Microwavepizza

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:18 AM

being there last night... started out so awesome. Tons of play in their zone, then the goal... oh man

once the Rags scored... the entire energy in the building changed, a guy 2 rows in front of me jumped up and spilled beer everywhere
It didnt help i had 2 meathead Ranger fans in front of me

When the 2nd goal was scored, one turned around and wanted to give me a high five, i gave him a look and said "turn the fvck around" he didnt look back after that.
then the 3rd goal happened... and some devil fans began to leave... one of them stood in the isles and began mocking passing Devil fans. Most of those passing fans shoved this one dude out of the way and flipped them the bird

With about 45 seconds left, i got up and walked up... avoiding any eye contact with anyone who would have been perceived as a douchey ranger fan.

it SUCKS to lose, but because they just invaded our Arena (As always) and a few disrespectful meathead ranger fans, it felt worse than usual.
we NEED more Devil fans to go to Ranger/Devil fans at The Rock... it doesn't feel like our Arena during these games... it bugs the crap out of me to look up and see so much blue.

i've been to a bunch of losses including the playoff loss that shalt not be talked about... this was not at that level, but the energy in the building had that feeling of utter disappointment.

But, in the grand sceme of things, its 1 game... Washington on friday, lets win that one!
POTATO!!!

#450 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,125 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:44 AM

Sure seems that way sometimes. Prodigy said it perfectly...you seem to think you had some profound insight and are now being proven correct now that Marty is truly playing like he's on the decline. I said in previous posts that it was impossible to predict what Marty would be this season. But yeah, at 39 and with his mileage, this isn't coming as a real surprise to anyone...we were all hoping for better, that he could build off his second half of last season, but clearly it hasn't happened.

What makes you annoying about this one particular topic is, like I've said, you make it sound like this kind of play has been the norm for several seasons now, and that somehow no one else has been able to see it except for you. I've pointed out in previous posts to you how, up until last season's first half, Marty's numbers have been as good or better than his career norms in recent seasons, despite facing MORE shots behind less-talented defenses, but you blow that off like none of that matters, and retort with statements like "Well, he hasn't played as well against the Rangers," like you need to find some kind of measuring stick, no matter how flawed, to prove that Marty's really been such a zilch for years now. Like beating the Rangers is the be all-end all of the Devils' world and the only thing that should count. Like his recent record against the Rangers negates everything else he did in the last five years or so.

Now I see you're even trying to negate what Marty's done against the Rangers in his prime, like he was just along for the ride. I am at a complete loss why you feel like the need to constantly downplay Marty's contributions to this franchise, but I've given up trying to figure that out, because you obviously have some issue with the guy that I'll never understand. When he was successful, it was all about the defense in front of him; now that he's struggling, it's because he's being exposed now that "Stevens and company" are gone, though he still played well after they had moved on. Whatever.

Funny, NOW it's OK to use stats to back up YOUR point, but when others pointed out how the stats DIDN'T back up your whole "declining for years" argument, those stats didn't matter.

C'mon you are better than this.

I have even backed off on criticizing the prime of Marty's career as it was silly.

However, please just do not fall into the trap of doing what the fanboys do here all the time.

I really do not know where you are getting that I do not appreciate Brodeur as you hinted in the other thread. I do appreciate what he has done for the organization but honestly he has been hurting the organization more lately then helping.

I never claimed to have profound insight or anything and if you and Prodigy are saying that I am "happy" that Brodeur played terrible, then you didn't see how pissed I was last night at the loss. I wanted to win the game and I felt Brodeur was the main reason why we lost. To just brush it off aside to me is silly. If you go right away into defense mode at my posts then again it is on you and not me on how you interpret it. Again, I took no glee in the lost last night.

Plus, how many times have I said on this board over the last year that I thought Clarkson was trash and many people came to his defense and said I was wrong. Well Clarkson this year is proving them right and the Clarkson defenders have gone after me for my previous words about him. However, instead of going on a rant about it, I just accepted it and honestly Im happy Clarkson is making me eat my words. That means he is doing a better job and helping us win games. Right now a lot of members know I do not like Teddy right now, but if he starts finishing, I have absolutely no problem with people calling me out on it and making me eat my words.

Edited by DevsMan84, 21 December 2011 - 09:45 AM.

#451 The 29th Pick

The 29th Pick

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:53 AM

The Rock is getting worse every year as far as rag fans invading BECAUSE WE LOSE TO THEM 99% OF THE TIME
I cant believe the record we have against them the last few years..if I were owner or GM, that alone would press me to make this team better.

Edited by hargsy, 21 December 2011 - 09:59 AM.

#452 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:55 AM

it SUCKS to lose, but because they just invaded our Arena (As always) and a few disrespectful meathead ranger fans, it felt worse than usual.
we NEED more Devil fans to go to Ranger/Devil fans at The Rock... it doesn't feel like our Arena during these games... it bugs the crap out of me to look up and see so much blue.

It wasn't that bad at the final game last year when we won(there were only 10-15% from what I heard?). If there were at least 8,000 of em last night or as bad as when Montreal comes to Sunrise or Ottawa I can understand the Invasion complaint. But seriously if you want more devils fans to show up you gotta a)stop pricing out your fanbase and b)have a better team than you do.

Edited by Marv4Life, 21 December 2011 - 09:56 AM.

#453 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:02 AM

Re: Rangers fans invading our building. That sh!t's been going on since Day 1. Last night was nothing new. The only reason last night might've seemed a little worse to some is because the Rangers are looking like they could be a legitimate contender this year plus the national exposure they're getting from the 24/7 program. Their fans are all cocky right now, so it stings more when they beat us in our own building. It sucks, but if you're a real Devils fan you deal with it. All the more better it will be when we start beating their asses again. ... When that's going to be, who knows. But these are the times when the Devils players need to know they're fans still have their backs and are not staying home and letting those Rangers scum fill our seats.I'll ALWAYS go to these games, no matter how bad it is sometimes. It WILL get better. We saw it in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Rangers fans weren't saying Jack in our building back then.

#454 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,505 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Re: Rangers fans invading our building. That sh!t's been going on since Day 1. Last night was nothing new. The only reason last night might've seemed a little worse to some is because the Rangers are looking like they could be a legitimate contender this year plus the national exposure they're getting from the 24/7 program. Their fans are all cocky right now, so it stings more when they beat us in our own building. It sucks, but if you're a real Devils fan you deal with it. All the more better it will be when we start beating their asses again. ... When that's going to be, who knows. But these are the times when the Devils players need to know they're fans still have their backs and are not staying home and letting those Rangers scum fill our seats.I'll ALWAYS go to these games, no matter how bad it is sometimes. It WILL get better. We saw it in the late 1990s/early 2000s. Rangers fans weren't saying Jack in our building back then.

I'm sick and tired of these games myself, they're 2-11 in the games I've attended at the Rock, and the Ranger fans are getting worse every year. That said, I won't sell tickets unless I know Devil fans are using them, ergo I don't sell them for profit. I don't see the Ranger games as a cash grab the way too many do.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 21 December 2011 - 10:53 AM.

#455 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:11 AM

Please. The Rangers have a better goalie at this point in time..not a better team. No way do they have more talent then the Devils.

First off, I said better TEAM, not most talented.

Secondly, which team has more "talent" is very subjective.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#456 Jimmy Leeds

Jimmy Leeds

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,389 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

Walking out after Game 6 in '94 was truly painful, it doesn't compare to a regular season game.

This was a tough one, IMO, because of the HBO show. That show will only create even more Rag fans, young influential ones too.
I DRINK LOU-AID
Posted Image

Posted Image

Kill Mumia

#457 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:19 AM

I'm sick and tired of these games myself, they're 2-11 in the games I've attended at the Rock, and the Ranger fans are getting worse every year. That said, I won't sell tickets unless I know Devil fans are using them, ergo I don't sell them for profit. I don't see the Ranger games as a cash grab the way too many do.

I feel your pain, brother.

#458 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,431 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:35 AM

Walking out after Game 6 in '94 was truly painful, it doesn't compare to a regular season game.

THAT must have been brutal.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#459 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,218 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:42 AM

This was a frustrating loss. Devils played well, but the difference was clearly the goalies; Marty wasn't good while Lundqvist was outstanding. I hate to rag on Marty but I'm hoping we see more Moose; it's no secret he's outplayed Marty for 2 years and this season in particular the gap is widening.

Edited by nmigliore, 21 December 2011 - 11:43 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#460 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,911 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:52 AM

Ok..

1) The Devils dominated the Rangers for about 7 years in the late 90's early 2000's. Hockey runs in cycles. The tables were bound to turn. For all we know, in 5 years the Devils will dominate the Rangers again for a while.

2) Brodeur is in the twilight of a great career. Every single athlete slows down at the end. If people feel the need to crap on him as he closes out his career, I guess that's their right. He came into this season with every intention of building on the second half of last year. He has notoriously been a slow starter his whole career but this year he is clearly having problems finding a rhythm. He isn't having a good year, he's definitely hurt (he said himself the shoulder will never be 100%), and Deboer is trying to let him play out of it. Marty said he won't need to be told when it's time to hang them up, so he knows the time is near. You can either enjoy the last few months of an absolute living legend, or you can call him terrible and wish him failure.

3) Moose would have needed a shutout to win that game last night. The offense couldn't capitalize on a lot of chances. I don't know why people are so sure that Moose could have done that. He's a good goalie, but he is 38 and has never been able to carry the starter's role on a team. It's more than likely after 10 straight games people will just be complaining about him, too. Moose has let in his share of softies(Boston, Winnipeg). The real issue is the defense in front of the goalies. Moose is just used to that chaos. He played for some bad Pittsburgh and Vancouver teams, and then backed the friggin' Thrashers.

4) To whoever it was who said that Marty should retire so Kincaid can back up Moose, I'm glad you don't work for the Devils. Kincaid has exactly zero NHL experience, is currently being outplayed by Frazee in Albany and has a 3.00 GAA and .900 save % at the moment. I like him too and I see potential, but let's not go crazy.

5) The Rangers are a good team. Throw whatever stats you want at us, but they win like the Devils used to. Good goaltending, opportunistic goal scoring, patience and counter-attack. The Devils still haven't settled into their new system just yet.

5) Final point.... this loss in NO WAY erases the fact the Devils are playing better. The had won 4 straight before last night, and have won 6 of the last 8.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users