537 replies to this topic

#521 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

I was at that game too and honestly, I do not buy the whole tired excuse. Tell that the all the previous hockey dynasties such as the Islanders who won 4 in a row. They played listless all season long and it was taken out on Robinson who was replaced by Constantine. It was apathetic play and honestly it was a team that was hungier that won that series.

I did not boo them but I wasnt exactly happy either. Only good thing that came out of the season was the Arnott trade.

Oh, of course I was bummed out that they lost. But I couldn't be MAD at them for not becoming a dynasty. That's too high a standard for a fan to set, IMO. If it would've happened, then great. But that can't be EXPECTED.

Like I said, maybe they just couldn't match the hunger of the Hurricanes to get to their first SCF. Whatever the reason, it was obvious they didn't have what it took that year.

#522 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

The 2002 talk reminds me of being there for the Ottawa game in '96 that ended our season shy of a playoff berth. I remember fans starting to boo as the game wore down. IIRC, they showed Dano starting to choke up on the bench on the jumbotron, and the boos of disappointment turned to cheers of appreciation for the previous year's accomplishments.

That was a weird game. I believe we also needed the Flyers to beat Tampa that day, and Devils fans were actually starting "Let's Go Flyers!" chants.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#523 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:14 AM

I could go on and on.... NY, NJ, CT, PA MA -- they're all very different.

but Rockland and Fairfield....the same?... in really ANY WAY? Seriously? Chuck, as wrong as he was, is just far more on target than you Rag fan!

Wait, who mentioned PA and MA, and I am only talking about Southwest CT, Fairfield County for example. Yes, the Rockland Putnam inclusion was a stretch. My wife is from Westchester and she gets annoyed when I say Westchester, Rockland, Putnam are all the same.

Edited by Matteau#32, 22 December 2011 - 11:47 AM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#524 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:29 AM

The 2002 talk reminds me of being there for the Ottawa game in '96 that ended our season shy of a playoff berth. I remember fans starting to boo as the game wore down. IIRC, they showed Dano starting to choke up on the bench on the jumbotron, and the boos of disappointment turned to cheers of appreciation for the previous year's accomplishments.

That was a weird game. I believe we also needed the Flyers to beat Tampa that day, and Devils fans were actually starting "Let's Go Flyers!" chants.

The Flyers played Tampa the next day.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#525 NJCroMag

NJCroMag

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:46 AM

I remember all the stink about the Flyers purposely throwing their last game so as to avoid seeing the Devils in the playoffs (the Devils owned them that year), and how the league was going to make sure it wouldn't happen, and how Bettman had addressed the issue...yada yada yada.

Meanwhile, everyone was overlooking the fact that the Devils still had a game to win.

And didn't ex-Devil Tom Chorkse actually have the game-winner for Ottawa?

Ugh...brutal, man.
"A lot o' people don't realize what's really going on. They view life as a bunch o' unconnected incidents 'n things. They don't realize that there's this, like, lattice o' coincidence that lays on top o' everything. Give you an example; show you what I mean: suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness."

#526 DaneykoIsGod

DaneykoIsGod

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,187 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:26 PM

Ah, you're right.
Posted Image

"I don't like those Rangers fans from New Jersey." - Jim Dowd

#527 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,726 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:10 PM

Leaving the arena after that game in 2002, I was more disappoined in some of our fans than in our team. The Devils had just come off back-to-back SCFs. It was obvious to me that either the Devs were spent from all of the playoff games and long seasons, or maybe they just couldn't match the hunger of the Hurricanes to get to their first SCF. Either way, when the final horn sounded, while a decent amount of fans were booing the team, I stood up and applauded the boys for all they had given us the past few years. One guy a few rows away from me did the same. He actually turned around and yelled at the fans not to boo.

I wasn't mad at that one so much as I was bummed...like you had said, they had gone to back-to-back Finals. It just felt weird for hockey to be over so early. I didn't boo though.

As for the Devils/Ottawa game...I was dating a girl who was going to Colgate at the time, and I was up there visiting her, trying to get the WFAN on...I managed to hear "Senators", then "win", but after a lot of antenna finagling, I finally heard "5-2 Ottawa win" (or something like it). I was so down for the rest of that weekend (and longer).
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#528 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

Wait, who mentioned PA and MA, and I am only talking about Southwest CT, Fairfield County for example. Yes, the Rockland Putnam inclusion was a stretch. My wife is from Westchester and she gets annoyed when I say Westchester, Rockland, Putnam are all the same.

It was meant to be a joke...sort of. If you want to be serious, I don't think you can say NJ and NY are the same. They're not. You can't just make a blanket statement like that. Hell, Chester is completely different from Parsippany, which is completely different from Nutley, which is completely different from Jersey City (and they are all northern NJ towns within 40 miles of each other).

The problem I have with a lot of people from NJ is that they play into the media stereotype about this state, hate on themselves, and openly wish they were from NY. NY'ers at least take pride in where they come from, no matter how misguided they may be. :P
Posted Image

#529 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,748 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:59 PM

It was meant to be a joke...sort of. If you want to be serious, I don't think you can say NJ and NY are the same. They're not. You can't just make a blanket statement like that. Hell, Chester is completely different from Parsippany, which is completely different from Nutley, which is completely different from Jersey City (and they are all northern NJ towns within 40 miles of each other).

The problem I have with a lot of people from NJ is that they play into the media stereotype about this state, hate on themselves, and openly wish they were from NY. NY'ers at least take pride in where they come from, no matter how misguided they may be. :P

I couldn't agree more with the last part of your post- people from NJ who hate being from NJ drive me insane. I'm born and raised here, and I couldn't be more proud. The people from Jersey who wish they were from NY should take their sorry, self-loathing asses over the Hudson and live there if they don't like it over here.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#530 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,993 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:04 PM

+1000

That's bugged me for the longest time.

#531 Matteau#32

Matteau#32

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:09 PM

I know they are different in some ways, but very alike in many ways. Even within the different sections there are differences and similarities. The south shore of Staten Island is VERY different that the North Shore. Same for Long Island. The most common thing of the people in the NY Metro area is most think the people of their section are far superior to the rest. My favorite is the argument over traffic. Traffic is terrible EVERYWHERE here, the difference is if you know your way around without the major parkways that get crowded. If you are going to LI you try to avoid the Belt from JFK out to exit 18 on the Southern State. If you are driving in Staten Island you avoid the Staten Island Expressway (278) and West Shore Expressway (440) as best you can.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#532 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:23 PM

I seriously hate the Rangers. I can not wait until I'm 50 and I have kids and they start winning again. Actually.. that's not true. I can't wait til we beat them next game. :)
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#533 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:11 PM

In case you need yet more proof of how deep they are, Bickel (2nd NHL game) and Stralman (who obviously wasn't good enough for the Devils) both with asissts tonight.
NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#534 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,691 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

I was at that game too and honestly, I do not buy the whole tired excuse. Tell that the all the previous hockey dynasties such as the Islanders who won 4 in a row. They played listless all season long and it was taken out on Robinson who was replaced by Constantine. It was apathetic play and honestly it was a team that was hungier that won that series.

A) Players make a lot more money now than they did even in the late 70's, early 80's, of course you're going to see more apathy. There's a reason no team's won more than two in a row in the last thirty years.
B) Teams also have to win more playoff games now than they did in the old days when there were dynasties.
C) A deeper talent pool and more sophisticated scouting and coaching have further increased parity.

So no, expecting a dynasty in this day and age is wrong. But I agree with the second part of your statement, that group was even more ornery and whiny than the '09-10 group was under Lemaire, and could have disintegrated if Lou had picked a different coach that offseason. I would have booed if I were there, but because of the lack of effort and the fact they got Larry fired, not because of the result itself.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 22 December 2011 - 09:39 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#535 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:40 PM

Well Toronto won. That sucks. Rangers scored more than 3 again and won. Would ya look at that.

And now Ottawa won. Amazing how the feeling of this team changes just like that. Few days ago seemed like we were going to make a run now I'm feeling like the team isn't doing that well again. Guess I just gotta stay positive. Could be worse.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3, 22 December 2011 - 10:00 PM.

Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#536 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:44 PM

In case you need yet more proof of how deep they are, Bickel (2nd NHL game) and Stralman (who obviously wasn't good enough for the Devils) both with asissts tonight.

Against the 2nd worst team in the league. Still not impressed by the Rags. Never will be. They could beat the Devils as many times as they want still doesn't mean much until the Devils are a top 5 team. Then I'd be worried.

#537 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,691 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:46 PM

Yeah, me too. The Kovy one was tough.

One that's not getting a lot of mention around here is Game 6 in 2002, against the 'Canes. Everyone gets that sixth sense feeling from time to time, where you know your team just doesn't have it...me and my wife had a great tailgate and were so psyched and ready to go, so excited...and just five minutes into that game, I looked at her and said, "They're getting shut out today. They have nothing." She told me I shouldn't be so negative, but sure enough, the Devils were shut out that game (1-0)...the fans really let the Devils have it over the last few minutes, as they had just been so lifeless on the ice from the opening faceoff. That one sucked for me...not in the same fist-in-the-stomach way of Game 7 against the 'Canes in '09, but it still blew just the same.

You could change a few words...that's basically how I felt in Game 5 of 2010. I was ready to go, ready to see a Game 6 and after like five minutes I knew it wasn't happening. Didn't help the Flyers scored early but still, you could tell they didn't want to skate that night either.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#538 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,801 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:00 PM

You could change a few words...that's basically how I felt in Game 5 of 2010. I was ready to go, ready to see a Game 6 and after like five minutes I knew it wasn't happening. Didn't help the Flyers scored early but still, you could tell they didn't want to skate that night either.

People say that all the time and sometimes they come back and sometimes they don't. Everyone only remembers the times they were right though.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users