Photo

Patrick Elias: Where Does He Rank Among the NJ Devils Greats?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,868 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:15 PM

http://bleacherrepor...j-devils-greats

Hard to believe, but Patrik Elias has been a full-time member of the New Jersey Devils for almost 15 years now.In that time frame he's won two Stanley Cups, played in nearly 1,000 NHL games and recorded nearly 350 goals, 500 assists and 850 points.

He's also New Jersey's all-time franchise scoring leader, including its formative years in Kansas City and Colorado, and at age 35 isn't exactly finished just yet.

Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#2 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:16 PM

Hes been one of the most consistent players I feel. He brings 110% to the ice each game and is always calm and collected. Glad he is with the Devils.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#3 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:23 PM

Easily one of my favorites ever. I think we're all kinda lucky and might take him for granted... Will we ever see as gifted an offensive talent who is also so disciplined defensively again? Also, it's easy to forget all the time he missed with his illness. He's been so consistent for years, and is a Devil through and through.

#4 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:29 PM

well - considering that he's going to be the first forward to get his # retired here, i'd say he sits with the greats pretty well. stevens and marty are 1 and 2 but neidermayer and elias duke it out for 3 and 4. daneyko is #5.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#5 DevsMan84

DevsMan84

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,303 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

Def top 5 or 6 all-time at the moment.

#6 Dadds

Dadds

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:21 PM

well - considering that he's going to be the first forward to get his # retired here, i'd say he sits with the greats pretty well. stevens and marty are 1 and 2 but neidermayer and elias duke it out for 3 and 4. daneyko is #5.

I agree with this 100%
"I think I'm going to become a Devils fan so they start never winning again." A sad flyers fan

"**** this. NJ might as well be allowed to build a brick wall in front of the net and let Marty sit on the bench. Would be no difference" A sad penguins fan

#7 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:23 PM

1. Stevens
2. Brodeur
3. Elias
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#8 GoArmySports

GoArmySports

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:30 PM

1. Stevens
2. Brodeur
3. Elias

1. Brodeur
1A. Stevens
2. Elias

Edited by GoArmySports, 22 December 2011 - 01:30 PM.

#9 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,219 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

1. Brodeur
1A. Stevens
2. Elias

meh...can't argue with that either
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#10 aylbert

aylbert

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,367 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

I think he's the 3rd greatest Devil to date and will be the last of the retired jerseys for a while (assuming Brodeur goes up before him)... I made a list of my top 20; but to be honest, just kinda rattled them off and rearranged quickly so I am sure I may have missed someone or will question my order a bit later. For one, I'm not sure if I put Burke or Terreri in the top 20... if they do, obviously near the bottom. Parise will rise up the more he is here.

To be honest I wouldn't have included Daneyko on the retired jersey list... he would have made an excellent ring of honor, etc.

1) Martin Brodeur
2) Scott Stevens
3) Patrik Elias
4) Scott Niedermayer
5) Ken Daneyko

------------------
6) John MacLean
7) Bruce Driver
8) Bobby Holik
9) Zach Parise
10) John Madden
11) Scott Gomez -only as a Devil, obviously.
12) Sergei Brylin
13) Jay Pandolfo
14) Randy McKay
15) Brian Rafalski
16) Kirk Muller
17) Tommy Albelin
18) Jamie Langenbrunner
19) Travis Zajac
20) Aaoron Broten

Edited by aylbert, 22 December 2011 - 01:35 PM.

image-300x225.jpg

| 2012 Season | NJDevs FHL Champion | 2013 Season |
| 2014 Season | 

#11 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,623 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:43 PM

Elias is one of the most under-rated Devils of all time (along with Pat Verbeek - my favorite player growing up). When taking all things into consideration, including pure skill, career achievements, and the player's impact upon this franchise's history, my top 5 would be:

1. Brodeur
2. Stevens
3. Niedermayer
4. Elias
5. Daneyko

For Stevens and Brodeur, I can make an argument either way as to who should be # 1. Stevens solidified and legitimized the franchise unlike any other player, but Brodeur was the piece that put them over the top. It's no coincidence that his gaining the starting job in 1994 was the beginning of the Devils dynasty (1994-2004). For me, he's # 1, with Elias a respectable #4. He definitely deserves to have his number in the rafters one day.
Posted Image

#12 sundstrom

sundstrom

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • 8,326 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 01:47 PM

I think he's the 3rd greatest Devil to date and will be the last of the retired jerseys for a while (assuming Brodeur goes up before him)... I made a list of my top 20; but to be honest, just kinda rattled them off and rearranged quickly so I am sure I may have missed someone or will question my order a bit later. For one, I'm not sure if I put Burke or Terreri in the top 20... if they do, obviously near the bottom. Parise will rise up the more he is here.

To be honest I wouldn't have included Daneyko on the retired jersey list... he would have made an excellent ring of honor, etc.

1) Martin Brodeur
2) Scott Stevens
3) Patrik Elias
4) Scott Niedermayer
5) Ken Daneyko

------------------
6) John MacLean
7) Bruce Driver
8) Bobby Holik
9) Zach Parise
10) John Madden
12) Sergei Brylin
13) Jay Pandolfo
14) Randy McKay
15) Brian Rafalski
16) Kirk Muller
17) Tommy Albelin
18) Jamie Langenbrunner
19) Travis Zajac
20) Aaoron Broten

i think muller might be a tad low. i agree that i think burke and/or terreri belong on the list - certainly before albelin. its conceivable verbeek should be on this list but its still pretty comprehensive. obviously, kovalchuk will get on there eventually and make his way up. i think pando and broten get moved down/out.

"This team was never the same once we lost Patrik Sundstrom"- Lou Lamoriello

20082719943.png
“They’re the ones that makes it happen,” Lemaire said. “It’s not us. It’s not me. It’s not the other guy. It’s not the guy before. It’s not the guy after. It’s them. And they have to take care of business.”
-
"I guess I just miss my friend" (#28)

#13 EdgeControl

EdgeControl

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:14 PM

I have him at number 4 behind Marty Stevens and Kovy, LOL

#14 Random Poster

Random Poster

Head Coach

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

It's too hard to "rank" players because they all played such a vital role and were all unique in terms of contribution and impact. That's why it is difficult to "rank" Stevens, Brodeur and Niedermayer, Elias, Daneyko, et al. Best bet is to just leave it as they all relied on one another as a team to be great as that was the Devils way.

Here's my choices for the immediate future. It doesn't have to be all about stats, Cups and names but impact each individual had in the organization.

RETRIED NUMBERS:

Patrik Elias, Martin Brodeur.

RING OF HONOR:

(Automatics): Sergei Brylin, John Maclean, Kirk Muller, Claude Lemieux.

(Debatables): Randy McKay, Bobby Holik, John Madden, Mel Bridgman, Jay Pandolfo, Bruce Driver, Chico Resch, Stephane Richer, Patrik Sundstrom, Chris Terreri, Pat Verbeek, Brian Rafalski, Scott Gomez, Slava Fetisov, Aaron Broten

Edited by SJP20, 22 December 2011 - 02:16 PM.

NJDevs.com 2008-09 Hobey Baker Award Winner, Rookie of the Year.

#15 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,028 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:26 PM

RETRIED NUMBERS:

RING OF HONOR:

(Debatables): Randy McKay, Bobby Holik, John Madden, Mel Bridgman, Jay Pandolfo, Bruce Driver, Chico Resch, Stephane Richer, Patrik Sundstrom, Chris Terreri, Pat Verbeek, Brian Rafalski, Scott Gomez, Slava Fetisov, Aaron Broten

I agree pretty much 100% with this. I'd love the Devils to finally have some sort of ring of honor.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#16 Quinn01

Quinn01

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,622 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

It's too hard to "rank" players because they all played such a vital role and were all unique in terms of contribution and impact. That's why it is difficult to "rank" Stevens, Brodeur and Niedermayer, Elias, Daneyko, et al. Best bet is to just leave it as they all relied on one another as a team to be great as that was the Devils way.

Here's my choices for the immediate future. It doesn't have to be all about stats, Cups and names but impact each individual had in the organization.

RETRIED NUMBERS:

RING OF HONOR:

I agree with this with the addition of Zajac and Gionta to the Debatable list. I also felt that Nieds should have been on that list. I feel like retiring his number was more of a "Quick! Lets retire someone....uhhh Scott! He just retired anyway!" move.

Edited by Quinn01, 22 December 2011 - 02:57 PM.

Posted Image
Winner of the 2010-2011 Hobey Baker Award for Best Rookie Poster.
Official Keeper of Martin Brodeur's Ending Powerplay Whistle & KOVALtine, the drink with the shelf life of 15 years.

#17 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,385 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:58 PM

John Madden and Jay Pandolfo are definites for ring of honor, but that's just because I like them so much.

mk6ihcS.gif?1

#18 Beck27

Beck27

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:49 PM

1) Martin Brodeur
2) Scott Stevens
3) Patrik Elias
4) Scott Niedermayer
5) Ken Daneyko

------------------
6) John MacLean
7) Bruce Driver
8) Bobby Holik
9) Zach Parise
10) John Madden
12) Sergei Brylin
13) Jay Pandolfo
14) Randy McKay
15) Brian Rafalski
16) Kirk Muller
17) Tommy Albelin
18) Jamie Langenbrunner
19) Travis Zajac
20) Aaoron Broten

Out of curiosity...is Lemieux an oversight, or is he intentionally off your list?

#19 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:55 PM

I agree with this. He is easily the forward this franchise has ever had. I would vote #3

Edited by MantaRay, 22 December 2011 - 03:58 PM.

I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#20 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,436 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

RETRIED NUMBERS:

RING OF HONOR:

Mel Bridgemen???? Don Lever before him and honorable mention to John Weinsink
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users