#61 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

the situation sucks... but its the fans fault really

if they could fill the arena and get season tickets there would be less Rags fans able to get seats. simple.

www.SterioDesign.com

#62 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

What I don't get it why should any arena be unwelcoming to a fan of the opposing team?

Espeically if they are just there to have a good time.

Now if they are being a$$holes that's different, but one should assume 95% of visiting fans aren't there to start trouble.

I agree, but Rangers fans DEFINITELY go there to start trouble.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#63 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

What I don't get it why should any arena be unwelcoming to a fan of the opposing team?

Espeically if they are just there to have a good time.

Now if they are being a$$holes that's different, but one should assume 95% of visiting fans aren't there to start trouble.

Problem is there are opposing teams' fans who do like to start trouble. The main 3 are Philly, NYR and Montreal. If the Penguins, Red Wings, Hawks or Bruins came to town I'd totally agree but it's not the case with those 3 I mentioned.

#64 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:31 PM

I mean, on the train ride back from the Rock versus the Caps, some Rags fans returning from the winter sham preview tried talking sh!t to me. I'm like come on, I'm walking around here with a 13 year old, ya really think I'm gonna engage in bs ?

#65 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

I mean, on the train ride back from the Rock versus the Caps, some Rags fans returning from the winter sham preview tried talking sh!t to me. I'm like come on, I'm walking around here with a 13 year old, ya really think I'm gonna engage in bs ?

Tazer guns arent that expensive...

www.SterioDesign.com

#66 hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

I understand it's frustrating. I agree with you. But the only way to fight it is to show up and fill our house. We don't need to be a$$holes to opposing fans are start fights and sh!t. But, I encourage pointing, laughing, and making fun of them as well as getting as loud as possible supporting the Devils.

#67 ScoreMoreThan3

ScoreMoreThan3

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

See that's what pisses me off the most about Rags fans. They'll talk sh!t to a father who's with his wife and kid but won't do sh!t when it's three Devils fans who just boarded the train from Elizabeth, NJ. They're fvcking cowards. They have a lot of courage until you step up to them. Then they say, "You can beat me up, but what about the entire section?!" Lol..trust me, that happened.
Respect The New Jersey Devils 30 Year History
Stanley Cups 3 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2002–03)
Conference championships 5 (1994–95, 1999–00, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011-12)
Division championships 9 (1996–97, 1997–98, 1998–99, 2000–01, 2002–03, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10)

#68 Steven M.

Steven M.

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,011 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

I'm just like... Eh I got a career and it's worth more than your words so I'm not about to lay a finger on anyone (unless struck first.) So they can talk all the sh!t they want but hey, I've been alive for almost 22 years and I can say with 100% confidence that in that timespan my team has given me way more reasons to be happy than theirs. So they can pump their chests and talk smack but for me it goes in one ear out the other.

#69 ryani1978

ryani1978

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:36 PM

I hate to say this but I've been to the Rock for 3 games and now have been to Nashville twice, the atmosphere in Nashville is great, inside and outside the arena. As a Tennessee resident now, I'm glad to see Nashville getting into hockey like they are. Problem with the Devils attendance right now is the area is still not up to par with a Nashville type area, great downtown arena with resturants, bars, etc. to draw the casual fans to games.
Inside is great too, fans are really into it. It seems much different than the Rock. Maybe that's due some to the Fire and Ice lounges. But I'm no expert so I'm not sure how to increase the attendance except for the team to take ideas from other teams, it never hurts.

#70 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Problem is there are opposing teams' fans who do like to start trouble. The main 3 are Philly, NYR and Montreal. If the Penguins, Red Wings, Hawks or Bruins came to town I'd totally agree but it's not the case with those 3 I mentioned.

I agree with Rags and Flyers, but not Habs. They're loud, they invade the arena, and they love their team, but they're not there to start trouble. I've had nothing but positive interactions with them. And I've had bad interactions with other fans.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#71 mmajeski06

mmajeski06

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

I was too young to really remember the crowds back at CAA, but did the Devils have similar issues there? Or was it generally packed? Then again, the Devils were at their best for the later parts of their stay at CAA.
Posted Image Posted Image

#72 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

I was too young to really remember the crowds back at CAA, but did the Devils have similar issues there? Or was it generally packed? Then again, the Devils were at their best for the later parts of their stay at CAA.

this is the devils we're talking about. of course it wasn't packed! in fact, when the devils played the rangers and flyers there would tons of opposing fans in the building. same with the pens and the islanders. the only invasion i don't really remember is montreal, and i think that's because they just discovered the wheel up in quebec. let's not forget that when the devils played the leafs in the playoffs there were tons of leafs fans in the building.

the only major difference with the rangers is the sweet spot from 1998-2003. there would be tons of ranger fans at caa but the rangers never won so they were quiet. and when i say they rangers never won, i mean literally never won. the devils had something like a 23 games unbeaten streak against them.

#73 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 08:30 AM

Yeah, Ranger and Phailure fans invaded CAA too, this is nothing new. The only difference is we always beat the piss out of those teams in the CAA days, so they wouldn't say sh!t because they couldn't. Since we moved to the Rock, we haven't been nearly as successful against the Rags and Phailures, so their fans have shown up in larger numbers, with considerably bigger beer muscles. It sucks, but if the Devils start beating these a$$holes again, it'll go back to being the way it was in the CAA days.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#74 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,901 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, Ranger and Phailure fans invaded CAA too, this is nothing new. The only difference is we always beat the piss out of those teams in the CAA days, so they wouldn't say sh!t because they couldn't. Since we moved to the Rock, we haven't been nearly as successful against the Rags and Phailures, so their fans have shown up in larger numbers, with considerably bigger beer muscles. It sucks, but if the Devils start beating these a$$holes again, it'll go back to being the way it was in the CAA days.

i actually think it's more rags fans and fewer flyer fans in the rock. we've just sucked against the flyers since moving so you just notice the flyer fans more. in caa they would make up 30% of the crowd. similar to the rags. no way are there anywhere near that many flyer fans at the rock. the canadiens bring in more fans than the flyers.

#75 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,318 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:03 AM

i actually think it's more rags fans and fewer flyer fans in the rock. we've just sucked against the flyers since moving so you just notice the flyer fans more. in caa they would make up 30% of the crowd. similar to the rags. no way are there anywhere near that many flyer fans at the rock. the canadiens bring in more fans than the flyers.

You're right for the most part- except when we play the Phailures on a weekend, not as many of their fans show up at the Rock as they did at the CAA (it seems if we play them on a Saturday night, they still have a decent number of fans come up). The CAA was right off the Turnpike, so access for Phailure fans driving up was a little easier because it was a straight shot north. The Rock is a little tougher for mass numbers of Phailure fans to get to on a weeknight.
iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#76 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

The Rock is right off Penn Station, which has Amtrak and connections to Philly via NJT and SEPTA. So it's not that hard to get to for a couple of times a year. But yeah I've noticed their fanbase at our games has decreased since 2007(not that I'm complaining). Opening night this year was VERY low compared to opening night 2 years ago.

#77 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,426 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 02:55 PM

Exactly. I've said something like this on another board. If I'm a casual fan, why should spend money on your product when I have no idea who you are and what you're about? Who are the Devils? Who are these guys that I have trouble pronouncing their names? Will I get my money's worth more times than not? Stuff like that. Cutting down the prices is obviously necessary but marketing the club and its players is also very important. As cheesy as it was refer to the Blackhawks and their carols. Don't even have to resort to that; just copy what the Capitals, Sharks, Pens and even Flyers have done. And guess what? Those teams sell out, even on weeknights against nondraws.

You are absolutely correct. If you had the 2000 Devils playing at the Rock it would be a sellout every night. The CAA was a horror to travel to, but I went to 20 games a season because they were awesome to watch as a result of their talent and competitive nature.

I maybe spoiled but the current Devils don't provide the same urgency for me to watch these days.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#78 95Crash

95Crash

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:12 PM

Someone asked what can we do to make it better.

One thing fans can do is not be afraid/reluctant to make noise. I know some fans say they just like to be quiet and watch the game. That's fine. There are fans like that in every city. So this is not really directed toward them. But for the fans who do like the clap and cheer or whatever, I say keep it going even when we are losing.

I was at the Rangers-Devils game the other night, and after the Rangers tied it and/or took the lead, when the Rangers fans around me tried to get a Let's Go Rangers chant going, I started chanting Let's Go Devils instead. In the least, it muddied up their chant enough so that I didn't have to hear it. If enough Devils fans in the arena always did that, it would drown their chants out. Other times, I also tried changing their chant to Go Home Rangers. Either way, anything to kill their chants.

The more often we can stifle/kill their chants, the less likely they will be to try it again in the future. And conversely, the more often they are successful in getting their chants going, the more likely they are to do it again ... louder.

Edited by 95Crash, 26 December 2011 - 05:16 PM.

#79 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Someone asked what can we do to make it better.

One thing fans can do is not be afraid/reluctant to make noise. I know some fans say they just like to be quiet and watch the game. That's fine. There are fans like that in every city. So this is not really directed toward them. But for the fans who do like the clap and cheer or whatever, I say keep it going even when we are losing.

I was at the Rangers-Devils game the other night, and after the Rangers tied it and/or took the lead, when the Rangers fans around me tried to get a Let's Go Rangers chant going, I started chanting Let's Go Devils instead. In the least, it muddied up their chant enough so that I didn't have to hear it. If enough Devils fans in the arena always did that, it would drown their chants out. Other times, I also tried changing their chant to Go Home Rangers. Either way, anything to kill their chants.

The more often we can stifle/kill their chants, the less likely they will be to try it again in the future. And conversely, the more often they are successful in getting their chants going, the more likely they are to do it again ... louder.

This. I've been at games where I felt like an a$$hole because I'm the only person in my section cheering. It finally gets loud after goals. The Supporters Section was a great idea to get Devs fans together to keep the building loud and positive, no matter what. Too bad the team sh!tcanned that, but that's a discussion for a different thread.

Sumus Legio
You don't turn this around in a couple shifts. Its going to take a little time, but I know the guys will come back. Because I can see it. -- Jacques Lemaire

sguq.jpg

#80 mouse

mouse

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:50 PM

Sorry. Double post.

Edited by mouse, 26 December 2011 - 09:51 PM.

Sumus Legio

sguq.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users